Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Regarding zone training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Regarding zone training

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 07:00 PM
BrodyBruce

Bikes: 1987 Lotus Excelle Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding zone training

I've been riding almost a year and progressing well, but I'd like to get onto a specific training plan. I'm about to buy a more legitimate bike computer with a heart rate monitor (likely a Garmin Edge 500 but I'm open to suggestions if you have any). I'm not aware of training for cycling except that I googled "zone training cycling" and see that it has something to do with using a measurement of your heart rate after a specific length of time and applying a formula. Anyway, I wanted to make sure the information i read wasn't subjective so...do you have a suggestion for a source that gives how to acquire these figures and how to apply them to a training regimen? If you could supply links or at least point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I did attempt to find this information on the forum but even the sticky's reference "zones" in the first few paragraphs without definition. Sorry if the information is available here and I overlooked it.
Old 03-28-15, 12:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,390 Posts
One of the standard texts is The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel. Joe has an intro to the subject here:
Joe Friel's Blog: A Quick Guide to Setting Zones
Old 03-28-15, 04:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Chris Carmichael has a system calibrated off a pair of all-out 8 minute efforts which are logistically and physiologically easier to accommodate than Friel's 30 minute time trial.

https://trainright.com/wp-content/upl...scriptions.pdf

His book _The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Fit, Fast, Powerful in 6 Hours a Week_

https://www.amazon.com/The-Time-Crunc.../dp/193403083X

includes separate plans preparing for races and long distance rides for both new and experienced riders.

Whatever you do, skip the heart rate formulas (ex maximum is 220 - age) because people vary too much (two standard deviations get you between 196 - age and 244 - age) to be useful

Carbonfiberboy's recomendation of Friel's training bible is great - that's the canonical reference for cycling training.

Regardless, pay attention to the lower intensities too. You need rest days to be fresh enough for your hard efforts, rest weeks to allow for super compensation, and rest months. One workout past zone 4 a week can deliver better results than more.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-29-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 06:05 PM
BrodyBruce

Bikes: 1987 Lotus Excelle Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to you both; exactly what I was looking for.