Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone converted one of these into a trailer?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 05:23 PM
WorldPax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems like you could bolt a couple wheels and a hitch on it and viola. They come in many interesting shapes and sizes, tend to be aerodynamically shaped, and can probably be found for a song at garage sales.
Old 01-01-08, 09:13 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I guess the main issue would be the weight.

Most DIY bike trailers usually feature some form of plastic box, much like the famed Rubbermaids. To me these things weigh too much. My thought is that attaching a large duffel bag with a good zipper would be a lighter solution.
Old 01-01-08, 10:07 PM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I guess the main issue would be the weight.

Most DIY bike trailers usually feature some form of plastic box, much like the famed Rubbermaids. To me these things weigh too much. My thought is that attaching a large duffel bag with a good zipper would be a lighter solution.
Good point, I have to admit I never have actually held one of these in my hands.
Old 01-01-08, 10:25 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
You might also look into the motorcycle "trunks". They are too big to put on the back of a bicycle, but might work as a trailer. Chief advantange to either idea would be the ability to protect the contents.

A while back, I saw a factory-made bike trailer that was enclosed like that, but don't remember the brand. It had sort of dinky-looking wheels on it and appeared to be several years old.
Old 01-01-08, 10:54 PM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did a bit more research on the weight thing. The Thule weighs 16lbs, The smallest BikesAtWork trailer weighs 27 lbs. I'm guessing you could come out about even after adding the conversion bits.
Old 01-02-08, 03:49 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldPax

Seems like you could bolt a couple wheels and a hitch on it and viola. They come in many interesting shapes and sizes, tend to be aerodynamically shaped, and can probably be found for a song at garage sales.
I personally think this is a brilliant idea!

One thing tho, it will be more aredynamically efficient going backwards, if you see what I mean. You want the blunt end facing the direction of travel and the gradual taper out the back to optimise your aero efficiency with that shape.
Old 01-02-08, 04:37 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On one hand I think this is a brilliant idea and on the other I would have some concerns. One would be the width, by the time you got the wheels to clear the outer lip you’ll probably be ~5 feet wide and a holy terror on a MUP as you would probably need the whole width not to mention not fitting through the bollards. The other thing to consider is I don’t think the floor could support much weight on its own without being on top of a car roof. Maybe 4-6 wheels and a framework might solve that issue. The other issues would be you could not attach the trailer “arm” to just the plastic as all the weight localized on one stress spot would most likely tear the plastic. So once again you would need some sort of framework to keep things together and IMHO if you have to build a framework you are probably better off building around the likes of Rubbermaid containers.
Old 01-02-08, 04:56 PM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think width is an issue on that model, as for the sturdy-ness. I think these are tougher than you think. I'm keeping an eye on craigslist to see if I can find something local and cheap.

Specification Description

Weight 16 pounds
Volume 8 cubic feet
Dimensions 54 x 25 x 15.5 inches

How cool would one of these be? A little more weight but not too bad.

Old 01-02-08, 07:38 PM
Vissthew
I'll ride anything!

Bikes: Old 70's Puegeot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried to use a plastic container as a frame before, and it doesn't work well. It may be sturdy, but it's not going to be able to keep wheels in line and hold a hitch. It will bend and flex. If you put a frame under it, it would look great though!
Old 01-02-08, 10:47 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a Sears version of the first pic and the kids used to play in it before I got it on top of the car and the thing flexed horribly under 40lb weight. They did not bend anything out of shape that I could not bend back but still picturing that kind of flex as a bike trailer would not be good IMO. I stand corrected about the width.
Old 01-02-08, 11:54 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
...and the thing flexed horribly under 40lb weight.
Yes, these carriers do flex a lot, especially the pan. And speaking of the pan, it's very shallow so I don't know what you'd want to haul. If groceries, I think the rubbermaid options are better. Also, if what you want to carry does not fit under the cover, then you have to ride with the cover popped open. Because of the shallow pan, you risk spilling whatever is not secured. Also, while the narrower portion of the cover is aerodynamic (which doesn't seem to matter much at bike speed anyway), it also cuts down on what you can carry inside too. I wouldn't fear attaching wheels or a towbar to the plastic; just use metal washers to prevent tear - that's what the manufacturer uses to attach it to a roof rack, and driving 60+ mph even empty hasn't damaged mine yet.
Old 01-03-08, 07:17 AM
dcb
THAT GO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear I've seen used as a bike trailer somewhere on the net. I know junkyardwarrior was talking about doing it:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=335002
Old 01-03-08, 07:43 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WOAH! I have one of these in my garage that I was thinking of getting rid of. It's big, though. I call it the coffin.

Great idea.
Old 01-03-08, 09:51 AM
EricJ

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Comp w/FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one pictured is the Sidekick which is 25" wide. I don't think that is a problem. With wheels, you would probably only be at about 31" which is the width of my ActionBent trailer. Looks like a great idea where security is an issue.

Eric
Old 01-03-08, 10:11 AM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
Yes, these carriers do flex a lot, especially the pan. And speaking of the pan, it's very shallow so I don't know what you'd want to haul. If groceries, I think the rubbermaid options are better. Also, if what you want to carry does not fit under the cover, then you have to ride with the cover popped open. Because of the shallow pan, you risk spilling whatever is not secured. Also, while the narrower portion of the cover is aerodynamic (which doesn't seem to matter much at bike speed anyway), it also cuts down on what you can carry inside too. I wouldn't fear attaching wheels or a towbar to the plastic; just use metal washers to prevent tear - that's what the manufacturer uses to attach it to a roof rack, and driving 60+ mph even empty hasn't damaged mine yet.
Hmmm, so with a couple braces and turning it upside down (so the deep, useful part is on the bottom) It should probably turn out pretty good. Aerodynamically, it might not matter much just tooling around, but I bet at 15mph into a 30mph headwind, it might make a bit of difference.
Old 01-03-08, 11:43 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Hmmm, so with a couple braces and turning it upside down (so the deep, useful part is on the bottom) It should probably turn out pretty good. Aerodynamically, it might not matter much just tooling around, but I bet at 15mph into a 30mph headwind, it might make a bit of difference.
I suppose upside down is an option. The only other issue I can think of (besides the height of the wheels and tow bar on such an odd undershape) is that the cover has a lip which fits over the pan when closing. Upside down, you'll have to pull the cover towards you to fit your fingers underneath the lip in order to pull the pan up. Hope you have a sturdy kickstand. Neat idea in any case.
Old 01-03-08, 12:02 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The more I think about this, the less I like the idea. For the long one, at least, you'd need multiple wheels. I think it would handle like a log. Turning it upside down would be really irritating. I can't imagine turning a corner with that thing behind me.
Old 01-03-08, 12:28 PM
WorldPax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
The more I think about this, the less I like the idea. For the long one, at least, you'd need multiple wheels. I think it would handle like a log. Turning it upside down would be really irritating. I can't imagine turning a corner with that thing behind me.
I guess driving an 18 wheeler has immunized me from the worries of dragging long trailers
Old 01-04-08, 12:23 AM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, with suitable frame it could do nicely, however, they tend to be pricey new and I've never seen a cheap used one for sale. If you have one you are not using, go for it! Before you do, see what you can get for it secondhand and price up a purpose built bicycle trailer.
Old 01-06-08, 12:44 AM
trimacian
Lurking Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not cut a well into the box and mount a single wheel to a basic internal frame? I'm thinking along the lines of a BOB coupled with a cars subframe.
Old 01-06-08, 05:46 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I`we got one of these "coffins", and I would newer try to make it into a biketrailer. Too much flex. You could put it on a "bed" of plywood and fix the wheels, and pullbar to the plywood but I would newer try. I am a big fan of biketrailers, always looking for new things to convert into trailers. Just now I am making a combined biketrailer / dogcart. To keep the dog in when on long rides. Also want to use for the dog tu pull just by adding two bamboo poles for him to pull with. The animal needs to work!
Old 01-15-08, 08:52 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I saw this trailer on Craig's list a while back, and then couldn't find it again, and couldn't remember the name to search it- but it sounds similar to your idea:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/bik/540074123.html

(It's a Pac-a-Saurus, if the link goes bad).
Old 01-15-08, 10:25 PM
dcb
THAT GO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for posterity

Pac-A-Saurus Enclosed Bicycle trailor for tralveling. used in very good shape opens from the front and lays all the way open with upper and lower dividers. you can pack alot in this little trailor. the tires could use replacing they are cracking a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
g.jpg (8.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by dcb; 01-15-08 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added info here for posterity