Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Vitamin B-12 and carbohydrate metabolism

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 09:30 PM
madprofessor100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've started taking vitamin b-12 pills and I've started feeling a lot better when I'm working out as well during everyday tasks. The bottle I bought at GNC is 1500mcg (25000% Daily Value). I'm a bit concerned because 25000% seems like a lot. I read somewhere that you can't OD on B-12. Is it dangerous to be taking this much? Why are they selling pills with such a high dosage? Also, the bottle says "high potency essential for carbohyrate metabolism." What exactly does this mean, and should I be adjusting my diet? I've been gettin a lot of headaches, but I don't know if there's a connection. I really don't want to stop taking the pills because this is the first time in my life that I haven't felt like taking a nap by the side of road instead of biking, but I would like to make sure that it's the right supplement for me.
Old 09-11-06, 09:45 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not dangerous...just makes for expensive and bright-orange pee. I never noticed any difference with the stuff, though, so I didn't bother buying more.
Old 09-11-06, 10:06 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madprofessor100
Why are they selling pills with such a high dosage?
Because you will buy them.
Old 09-12-06, 07:36 AM
normZurawski
On the right

Bikes: Specialized SJ FSR Comp, Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Because you will buy them.
+1

Your napping desire on the side of the road has more to do with your eating habits, I would guess.
Old 09-12-06, 10:36 AM
kenny!
Training Wheels Member

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just take a daily multi-vitamin with b-12? It'll be much closer to %100 and probably cheaper too.
Old 09-12-06, 11:56 AM
mrfreddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's an excellent source of b12 in a well know wholesome and natural food: BEEF! eat nice juicy steaks, preferably a grass-fed steaks, on a regular basis and toss the silly pills into the trash!
Old 09-12-06, 12:22 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
How much sleep do you get? Not enough, I bet.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-12-06, 12:55 PM
Al.canoe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same concerns. I'm willing to bet that such a massive overdose has never been tested. I buy the lowest dose possible and then cut them in half and take a half every two or three days. I'm not a supplement fan, but B12 is an exception as I've read in the 2005 USDA Nutrition Guidelines that as you get old you don't absorb sufficient B12 from natural foods. I've also read that if you eat primarily plant based, the soils are depleted of what provides plants B12.

Al
Old 09-12-06, 05:09 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
I've also read that if you eat primarily plant based, the soils are depleted of what provides plants B12.
Not true. https://www.sfasu.edu/auxsvcs/Foodser...ition_page.htm
Old 09-13-06, 09:26 PM
madprofessor100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by normZurawski
+1

Your napping desire on the side of the road has more to do with your eating habits, I would guess.
Actually, the B-12 pills are helping, without a doubt, since I've all of a sudden improved. But I thnk the headaches are food-related, since I've been exercising more than usual.

It seems like B-12 pills are getting no love on this board! 100 pills were only $7, which is a lot cheaper than wholesome and natural foods like nice juicy steaks Just kidding. But I'm going to keep taking them and see what happens
Old 09-13-06, 09:39 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, it's possible you were/are anemic. Symptoms include fatigue, headaches, etc. but then again so do thousands of other ailments, so...? If you are vegetarian (vegan), it's worth being concerned about. But if you eat meat, dairy and/or eggs on a semi-regular basis you are probably already getting more than 100% B-12 making supplements unnecessary.
Old 09-13-06, 09:42 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12198 Post(s)
Liked 1,499 Times in 1,110 Posts
"but I would like to make sure that it's the right supplement for me."

So find out. Have a Doc run some tests, find out what's going on.
Old 09-14-06, 02:43 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Everything in balance. Too much of any one stuff will throw something else off... be careful...
Old 09-14-06, 04:35 AM
Al.canoe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, the B-12 pills are helping, without a doubt, since I've all of a sudden improved. But I thnk the headaches are food-related, since I've been exercising more than usual.
If headaches are food related, then it's a carb deficiency not a vitamin deficiency. It could also be an electrolyte deficiency. When we first started to jog many years ago, my wife and I both developed headaches. Solved it by adding electrolytes (ERG/Hydrolyte) to our drinking water.

Al
Old 09-14-06, 07:47 PM
madprofessor100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll definitely try adding electrolytes to my drinks.
Old 09-14-06, 08:13 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 'nother
If you are vegetarian (vegan), it's worth being concerned about.
If you're vegan handle your food with your dirty unwashed hands right after you've used the bathroom.

I read somewhere that vegan societies get their B12 from the way the produce is, ahem, fertilized.
Old 09-14-06, 11:54 PM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
yeah, it's modern sanitation that robs vegetables of b-12, not some inherent unsuitability of vegan diets! produce is cleaned really well nowadays, in "first-world" societies. poop has b12 in it, so they're washing the b12 away when they clean the produce. good? bad? i dont know, but it's interesting!

b12 is one of the nutrients that your body can store for long periods of time. if you take a pill with a million-billion % of the b12 rda, you don't have to take it every day. plus, the rdas are usually inflated anyway, so there's a safety margin. your body may not even be able to store that much b12--you might just be peeing it out.
i've known a couple of people who said that b vitamins make a huge, huge difference in their brain function and nerve stuff. they have stress or anxiety or whatever, but they feel better when they take b vitamin supplements. etc. if you have a b12 deficiency, it can cause irreparable damage to your nervous system, so the opposite would make sense, too. anyway i'd try to take that pill once a week (or even less) and see if you still get all the benefits.

i get headaches when i exercise, sometimes, but it's almost *always* because i'm dehydrated and my sinuses are upset about it. this happens even if i drink what i think is a lot of water. i started drinking gatorade and it seems to have helped. i dont know if it's electrolytes or what. gatorade is colder and tastes more interesting than water so there's more of an incentive for me to drink it, so maybe that's a part of it.

hope your head feels better!
Old 09-15-06, 12:00 PM
Ex-rower

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are they selling pills with such a high dosage?
Because some people, such as my wife, don't absorb B12 properly and need to take massive doses of it to absorb the required amount.
Old 09-15-06, 03:59 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
"Vegan Society"?

Any references on that please as I didn't know that they existed.

Actualy I've heard of one maybe but a close analysis of there traditional diet showed that they were inadvertently consuming insect larvee with their homegrown vegetables.

The problem with vitamin pills is that they're not vitamins as such but synthetic vitamin isolates. Vitamins, minerals and enzymes work together as a trio and vitamins come with MANY other co-factors in real food as well. Taking a large dose of a vitamin isolate taxes your bodies ability to supply all the required co-factors for its abosorption. Personaly I can't tolerate vit-B pills. They disagree with me big time. Raw egg yolks are a supperior source of B-vits. I also consume plenty of liver.

Regards, Anthony
Old 09-17-06, 09:36 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
That's pretty neat. I wish pills would give me more energy. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone switched your B12 supplements with sugar pills, they might work just as well and are probably cheaper.
Old 11-01-14, 02:51 AM
victor smith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There does not appear to be any medical literature to support the use of vitamin B12 to increase metabolism.Due to its role in energy metabolism, vitamin B12 food is frequently promoted as an energy enhancer and endurance booster. These claims are based on the fact that correcting a certain type of anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency should improve the associated symptoms of fatigue and weakness. However, supplementing with vitamin B12 appears to have no beneficial effect on performance or energy metabolism in the absence of a nutritional deficit. There is no dosage listed specifically for increased metabolism or energy
Old 11-01-14, 03:27 AM
Ball Bearing

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
Well, it's possible you were/are anemic. Symptoms include fatigue, headaches, etc. but then again so do thousands of other ailments, so...? If you are vegetarian (vegan), it's worth being concerned about. But if you eat meat, dairy and/or eggs on a semi-regular basis you are probably already getting more than 100% B-12 making supplements unnecessary.
"...Oddly, the researchers found no association between plasma B12 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake, even though these foods supply the bulk of B12 in the diet. “It’s not because people aren’t eating enough meat,” Tucker said. “The vitamin isn’t getting absorbed.”..."

ARS :

I take methylcobalamin a few tims a week.
Old 11-01-14, 03:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,393 Posts
Vitamin RDAs are based on the level below which one gets a clinical vitamin deficiency disease. They may not be the levels which might be optimum for your activity or metabolism. No one really knows, nutrition being poorly understood and hard to study, what with wide individual physical and dietary differences.

Vitamins are a class of micronutrients for which deficiency diseases have been defined. There are many other micronutrients for which we have no clue about adequate levels and probably other micronutriets we don't even recognize. Hence the dictum to eat food rather than vitamins, which only target those few well-studied micronutrients.

For ordinary uses, 500mcg sublingually is adequate supplementation. Only take the methylcobalamin form. For more information, google "methylcobalamin carbohydrate studies" or "methylcobalamin benefits."
Old 11-04-14, 08:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
I get a a bloody nose if I take too much B12. before intense workouts I take 250 mcg. max would be 3 times in a day if I have 3 training sessions of any sport

btw Madonna has been known to take B12 shots before performances!