Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help me with my first bike purchase

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 10:56 AM
dontfall57

Bikes: 2021 TREK FX 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello All -

First time purchasing a bike since teenage years. Considering the following models . Really trying to keep costs low - and I know I am sacrificing quality of components that may need replacement. But this is why I am looking at bikes direct. All bikes below are on bikes direct, and the forum would not let me post the links because I am new. Apologies ahead of time.

I plan to ride about 25-50 miles/week mostly on pavement for exercise.

Gravity Avenue FX - Like the styling & lightweight. Concerned about tire width given my weight (255lbs), ability to ride hybrid style off road (minimally)
Motobecane Cafe 21 -
Windsor Dover 7 - Like price, large seat, super wide tires. Concerned about super quality of components

Any comments / suggestions? Open to other bikes as people suggest.
Old 03-05-21, 11:57 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
With those fat tires and the single chain ring, my guess would be that the Windsor Dover 7 wouldn't be the best choice for any sort of distance riding. The Gravity bike is more of a flat bar road bike so I'd think it wouldn't be all that great for even occasional trail use. The Motobecane sounds best for your needs imo — tires are wide enough for light trail use (crushed limestone etc) but narrow enough for distance riding on road, and has a wider gear range than the Gravity. BD has a decent reputation from what I understand, so you might be hard pressed to find comparable quality at these prices from other brands.

You could always buy used, too, of course. That's always worked out pretty well for me.
Old 03-05-21, 12:11 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
What type of terrain will you be riding? (hills vs. flat) The Gravity looks like a decent entry-level flat-bar road bike, but the lowest gear ratio is 28/28 = 1.00. That will make it tough to climb steeper hills if those will be a regular part of your riding. The Cafe gearing goes down to 28/34 = 0.82, which is much more hill-friendly. If your riding will be mostly flat, then either of those two looks good... certainly good enough for 50 miles per week.

As for Bikes Direct, are you able to assemble the bike and get the derailleurs set up and adjusted? Or do you have someone lined up to help you with that? If not, a local shop will probably charge $50 - $75 to do that, so factor it into your costs.
Old 03-08-21, 10:39 AM
dontfall57

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for your input.

After reviewing the answer to this thread and review of available options and potential costs, the wife talked me into a TREK FX1. Similar to the Motobecane Cafe 21. Purchased new yesterday (surprised to find it in stock at more than one bike shop within 50 miles) and looking forward to a nice ride when the weather turns tomorrow!
Old 03-08-21, 11:24 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!
The FX1 should get you back into cycling.
Like AU_Tiger, I'm curious what your cycling terrain is. If mostly paved and flat I'll always suggest a Single Speed (with brakes). No nonsense and simple bikes.
Old 03-08-21, 11:59 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dontfall57
Thank you all for your input.

After reviewing the answer to this thread and review of available options and potential costs, the wife talked me into a TREK FX1. Similar to the Motobecane Cafe 21. Purchased new yesterday (surprised to find it in stock at more than one bike shop within 50 miles) and looking forward to a nice ride when the weather turns tomorrow!
Congrats! Trek makes good bikes.
Enjoy!!!
Old 03-08-21, 12:01 PM
dontfall57

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks!

Mostly road riding and potentially some grass or gravel here and there, but very minimal. The roads here can be hilly but are relatively flat. However, assuming I really break into riding, I wanted something I could bring with me when I travel to ride as well which is why I stayed away from a single speed.
Old 03-08-21, 03:09 PM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dontfall57
Thanks!

Mostly road riding and potentially some grass or gravel here and there, but very minimal. The roads here can be hilly but are relatively flat. However, assuming I really break into riding, I wanted something I could bring with me when I travel to ride as well which is why I stayed away from a single speed.
The stock Bontrager 35 tires on the FX are a little rough for trails so see how you like them first. You can always add a wider tire later on, and they're pretty inexpensive.

Congrats on the new bike.