Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Lower back pain causes and fixes

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-07-21, 11:05 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

Anyone else suffer from lower back pain? what did you o to fix it? I can comfortably ride about 30-35 miles, but start to get lower back pain around that mark, and by 40-50 miles its agony (depending how many hills I ride!) ! I ride a mixture of hoods and drops to mix up body position but every ride around the 30-35 mile mark I start to get lower back pain! Its at the base of my spine, I don't feel like I'm over reaching for the bars or feel cramped, would be interested to see if anyone else suffers from this and what you done to make it better? Hoping to do 100 mile ride this summer by with the back pain its not looking likely!
Old 03-07-21, 11:14 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Stem too short could be cause, if it was too long you'd get neck pain
Old 03-07-21, 11:21 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Back/ hip muscle weakness. I have suffered with back pain for a long time, seems to do better when I work on my back and hip muscles.
Old 03-07-21, 02:03 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have suffered with back pain in the past, sometimes with severe pain. For some time now I've been working on strengthening core muscles and maintaining a straight back on the bike or during exercise. For background if you look at an anatomy book that shows several views of muscles and bones, it can be seen that the largest bone in the body is the pelvis. Every muscle in the body is ultimately connected to the pelvis directly or in a kinetic chain. For example, the leg below the knee is connected to muscles in the thigh. but the thigh itself is connected to the pelvis. the same is true for muscular structures above the pelvis. You may well have some other problem, as I did, but strengthening all the muscles directly connected to the pelvis will go a long way to alleviating back problems.

There are numerous You Tube demos showing a range of core exercises. I do some of them daily. And did I mention to always maintain a straight back.
Old 03-07-21, 02:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you don't roll your pelvis forward as you get more aggressive in your position, then that might.. might be a cause.

But for lower back pain, I too have always found doing exercise to strengthen those muscles helps.
Old 03-07-21, 05:04 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Deadlifting helps developing a strong back. As heavy a weight as you can move for five reps. Squats, too. A stronger body is going to work better on any bike and it doesn't really take much to make a difference.

The other thing is your position on the bike but that's kind of hard to really judge; if you just pose to take a picture it probably won't be quite the same as when you're actually pressing on the pedals with some force. Videoing yourself on a trainer is perhaps the best way to see what's going on.
Old 03-14-21, 08:25 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Deadlifting helps developing a strong back. As heavy a weight as you can move for five reps. Squats, too. A stronger body is going to work better on any bike and it doesn't really take much to make a difference.

The other thing is your position on the bike but that's kind of hard to really judge; if you just pose to take a picture it probably won't be quite the same as when you're actually pressing on the pedals with some force. Videoing yourself on a trainer is perhaps the best way to see what's going on.
Lower back training should ideally be comemented with lots of ab work. Also, training your back in the wrong posture could cause much more problems.

Originally Posted by cubewheels
from personal experience with endemic lower back problems when riding bike that was only solved recently

causes:
- Poor back posture off the bike, when sitting in the chair, etc.
- spends more than 1 hr sitting (if doing desk-based work) without stretching
- poor back posture on the bike
- Incorrect saddle tilt
- saddle adjusted too far to the back
- too short reach (will matter more out of the saddle)
- too aggressive, too low riding position (may differ per individual flexibility)
- pedaling at too high gear.
- pushing hard too early before you have properly warmed up
- weak core muscles
- in rare occassions, considerable recruitment of glutes to push the pedals (BUTT POWER!!). Not a bad technique if you know how to "rotate" use of different muscle groups in the body and if you have strong core muscles.
- Using hamstrings too much (pulling excessively on the back and upstroke)

solutions:
- The right bike fit to your physiology and capability as a cyclist
- flat back on the bike, if riding in aggressive, low position, make sure your pelvis is rotated forward and using a saddle that lets you do it comfortably
- avoid any hard or even medium efforts when still warming up on the bike
- Stretching your back on the bike by standing on the pedals (no pedaling) and keeping the 6 o'clock foot, hips, and back straight couple seconds each rep. Alternate between left and right foot. In some occassions, this can remove lower back pain entirely
- "spinning" as opposed to "grinding". Dont be timid gearing down. avoid exerting too much force on the pedals as gearing allows
- Pace your climbs, pace long rides. Spin as gearing allows
- Opt for easier gears "dinnerplate cogs" or compact cranksets when dealing with lots of long and steep climbs
- recognize the onset of lower back pain especially in long rides. start gearing down and stretching your back, disengage your gluteals and hamstrings and recruit only the quads.("kick" your pedal stroke and stop pulling until your lower back has recovered)
- good sitting posture off the bike, stretching your back while standing if you have desk based work at least twice an hour
- do exercises for core strength. One on-the-bike core strength training is doing short climbs at hard/high gear out-of-the-saddle. Sounds contradictory to the advice ive given earlier which means you only do this in short intervals towards the end of your ride or training session.
- Sometimes the solution is simply ride more

sorry for the long read. I sufferred many months with LB pain and I narrowed all causes to the things I did above which is quite a lot... I tend to experiment a lot!
This is great advice . Having the saddle too far forward can be more problematic than too far back. Likely has something to do with stem length.

Bottom line, while I did like the drop bars, I ended up switching back to some flat bars which were closer to shoulder width to improve my endurance oriented comfort on the bike.
Old 05-09-21, 12:56 PM
sw20

Quick update, I bought a 10mm shorter stem and it has fixed my back! Done a 53 mile ride today with no back pain whatsoever! Best £10 I've spent!
Likes For sw20:
Old 05-11-21, 12:39 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Anyone else suffer from lower back pain? what did you o to fix it?
Don't have "back issues" per se, though I occasionally have aches in the back specifically due to flexibility, which I'm able to mitigate through targeted stretching.

Whatever else you might do, involving fitment on the bike and riding position, definitely consider several areas of stretches (on a daily basis) to help ensure that you're not impeding what ought to be a better position. It can also help your strength regimen improve your strength outcomes as well, if you're better stretched in key areas.

I do know that I can feel fatigue and increased incidence of lower back muscle aches if I have tight hamstrings, tight hip flexors / groin and/or tight glutes; as well as if I have failed to stretch the erector spinae muscles (ie, via lying flat on back, raising one knee, then using the opposite hand to grab that knee and pull it over to the side). Isn't foolproof, but it almost always works for me. Though my issue is muscle flexibility (tightness due to old injuries, hip area muscles remaining tight to help stabilize due to those injuries, which impacts the back if I'm not careful).

Some suggestions for areas to consider for general flexibility: Yoga For Flexibility @ sensational-yoga-poses.com.
Old 05-23-21, 03:11 PM
Zebra Tempest

Bikes: 1986 Zebra Tempest, 2021 Jamis Renegde S2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Quick update, I bought a 10mm shorter stem and it has fixed my back! Done a 53 mile ride today with no back pain whatsoever! Best £10 I've spent!
Glad you solved your lower back pain issue.

How did you decide to buy a shorter stem? Did you buy the same stem angle?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-21, 04:38 PM
sw20

Originally Posted by Zebra Tempest
Glad you solved your lower back pain issue.

How did you decide to buy a shorter stem? Did you buy the same stem angle?

Thanks.
I just thought for the sake of £10 it was worth a try! I went from the stock 90mm 8 degree stem to a 80mm 7 degree.
Ig