Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wash the stink out?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wash the stink out?

Old 01-04-21, 03:15 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Wash the stink out?

I wear a lot of graphic Tees and many are a blend of cotton and polyester. After we moved into a new to us house, these shirts have picked up a sour smell. My cotton shirt don't suffer from this, but cotton isn't always comfortable in the heat or come with the prints I like.

I recently did a load of laundry where my bike clothes were mixed with one of those t-shirts and now I'm getting a whiff of sourness from my bike jersey and bib. Short of burning everything, is there anything to salvage the shirts and my bike kit? I haven't tried re-washing my bike clothes but those t-shirts have been washed multiple times, with different detergents, and sometimes mixed with white vinegar or baking soda. Nothing seems to neutralize the sour smell. I will straight up dunk the shirts in straight vinegar or a baking soda solution if that will kill/release the funk.

We're living overseas now so if the "infection" started back in the US, it's followed me.

Any ideas?
Old 01-04-21, 06:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Eau de Pits. The new men’s fragrance from Ralph Lauren. For the serious cyclist.
Old 01-04-21, 06:18 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Have not had that problem but you could try adding an enzyme cleaner like oxi-clean. It's supposed to help with odors. I use regular detergent on the most delicate cycle and hang dry.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-04-21, 06:19 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It's the water. Since we moved to the coast whatever we wash has a funky smell. All the neighbors have the same problem. We started adding a laundry disinfectant to the wash. Lysol makes one called Laundry Sanitizer. They work. No more sour clothes. Still don't wash my sweats in with the rest, but nothing has that sour odor anymore.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-04-21, 06:25 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,133 Posts
Another option is 20 Mule Team Borax detergent additive. And I guess you could "sage" them, but it only works on bad spirits. Smiles, MH
Old 01-04-21, 06:30 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Do you have a front load washing machine by chance?
Old 01-04-21, 06:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I use this stuff and don't suffer the stink and my socks especially REEEEEEK. I got stank foot bad and my socks and bibs and shirts and everything come out smelling clean and no stank. You might also consider cleaning out your washing machine as that can sometimes harbor stank as well.

I have also in the past made some from Dr. Bronners (I use that stuff for everything) and it works well. Here is a recipe that could help you if you want to D.I.Y. https://livesimply.me/homemade-liqui...ral-detergent/. Me personally I wouldn't use the Lavender because I hate lavender but almond is my jam or peppermint if I want to make it real fresh.
Old 01-04-21, 06:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Eau de Pits. The new men’s fragrance from Ralph Lauren. For the serious cyclist.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 01-04-21, 10:24 PM
Skulking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
I've had good luck with this stuff.
Old 01-05-21, 06:05 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Vinegar and/or baking soda really should do the job of eliminating any smell. If they aren't working then I really would be looking into the water quality or possibly something in the washing machine.
You could try using old fashioned bleach. If that doesn't work then its got to be the water or something living in the washing machine.
Old 01-05-21, 08:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
When I am concerned about laundry smell I pour a half cup of white vinegar into the wash.

THe explanation above that the smell is from the water sounds like a logical one.
Old 01-05-21, 08:35 AM
CadenceCrazy

Bikes: Nashbar CR5 Ultegra, Trek 2300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sink the Stink always worked well for me with funky watersports gear. You can find it on Amazon or ebay.
Old 01-05-21, 09:11 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Adding vinegar to the washing machine itself is insufficient once the odor sets in like that. Soak them overnight in a mix of white vinegar and water, at least a cup of vinegar and as little water that is takes to cover.
Old 01-05-21, 09:42 AM
pennpaul

Many things I've read is that it could be the water. We have well water in our house back in the US which goes through a brine tank and then a UV light. That house also has a front loader but I always leave the door open after we're done washing clothes so it dries out. I've also run some bleach only rinses through it. I do not know what our water source is here in Central America, but we are advised to not drink from the tap so I'd imagine it can't be better than back in the US.

I did look through reviews of the Lysol product. I can't buy it locally but Amazon will ship it to me. However, many people are reporting getting hives after coming in contact with their clean clothes. The same thing has happened to me using the local laundry detergent marked as hypoallergenic (this never happened before) so I am not going to risk it. It's a miserable experience when it happens. After one of my rides here, I had hives that matched the shape of my bib shorts.

The Lysol product is added during the rinse step and allowed to sit for almost 20 minutes so I'm going to give that a try with vinegar. I'd been adding the vinegar at the beginning of the wash with no soaking but it makes sense to do this at a later step and allow it to sit. First I'm going to separately soak the offending clothes in a vinegar solution, and then put them in the washer. I've never washed clothes with bleach for fear of discoloring them but I'll have to research that as a backup.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-05-21, 09:52 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
After you wash the clothing do you let the wet clothing sit in the washer sometimes? Also don't leave the washer door closed when not in use.
Old 01-05-21, 10:05 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
After you wash the clothing do you let the wet clothing sit in the washer sometimes? Also don't leave the washer door closed when not in use.
I try not to leave them sit for a while. They go in the dryer within an hour, bike clothes are air dried, and the washer door/lid stays open to air out.
Old 01-05-21, 10:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I try not to leave them sit for a while. They go in the dryer within an hour, bike clothes are air dried, and the washer door/lid stays open to air out.
You might try a product called “Affresh” these are fizz balls that foam up and do a better job of getting at the mildew which forms internally in the interior orifices inside the washer. A 4 pack from Amazon I believe is $20. If you look at the rinse water when the Affresh treatment goes through the rinse cycle, you might see evidence of the mildew (lots of disgusting black sediment) getting cleared out. I think the directions say you can use 2 of them for the first treatment if the mildew internally is that bad.

My workout apparel was super funky prior to me doing the above treatment. I do have well water and a Bosch front loader that is about 12 years old.
Old 01-05-21, 10:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My wife just uses plain old Tide she gets at Sams Club, and none of my stuff has a smell.
Old 01-05-21, 10:51 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Our house has had great success with Tide Sport.
Old 01-05-21, 11:24 AM
klasse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
"odo ban" product available at home depot is pretty good for yoga towels (very sweaty!)
Old 01-05-21, 11:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
It's not the water. It's your detergent. Use less of it and double rinse.

Synthetic fabrics are designed to wick sweat away - but they retain odor. And detergents often stick to the fabric too, trapping in the odor. Vinegar or vodka soaks will help kill the built up bacteria in the fabric, but going forward, adding vinegar to the wash and less detergent plus a second rinse can help.

You can also try air drying under ultraviolet light.
Old 01-05-21, 06:24 PM
pennpaul

I might have had a breakthrough. My wife doused by stinkiest of stinky shirts (coincidentally, it's an Oscar the Grouch shirt) with an Oxiclean Stain Remover spray then washed it normally after the spray sat overnight. I don't detect any funk!

I think they do sell Oxyclean here so I'm going to seek out the powder and see if this solves it.
Old 01-07-21, 09:46 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Downy Unstoppable scent beads work perfectly for bike clothes. I sometimes wear the same bike clothes for a week before washing and the Downy stuff gets rid of the funk.
Old 01-07-21, 10:00 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Vinegar and/or baking soda really should do the job of eliminating any smell.
Agreed. Soaking smelly clothing in diluted vinegar with a squeeze of Dawn in a bucket overnight will kill most anything and truly get the stink out once and for all. Nothing else truly works, in my experience. Adding scents to the laundry will just cover the funk up briefly until the garment gets wet again, then the stink comes right back. You have to kill the bacteria. I've found you don't need to do this every time you wash your stuff, just once or twice a year. "Cleaning strength" vinegar is available and perfect for this. After the soak, rinse the clothing thoroughly to get all the vinegar out. Then wash the clothing normally.

One other key tip: immediately dry everything after washing / riding and keep it dry. I hang all cycling stuff to dry on a dedicated rack I have in my house, I don't use a dryer. I keep most frequently used stuff hanging to let it ventilate. I also use a $25 boot / clothing dryer I got from Amazon to dry out cycling shoes and helmets quickly. If stuff stays wet, it will quickly start to stink. I also wash my (non-leather) gloves after every ride.

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-07-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-08-21, 02:18 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 116 Posts
PP,
Not sure you ever responded to the question about a front load washer.
I have found the answer is to unload quickly after the wash cycle.
Dry the bottom of the door seals (3 on my model) with dry towel wicking.
If you have mold/mildew in those 3 seal crevices',
Put strips of cut towel mainly in the lower 180 degrees of those gaps.
Take a squeeze bottle of liquid bleach, douse each gap to saturate the towel strips.
Close the front load door, let sit for 24hrs.
Wala!
But you still have to to the routine of removing the bike clothing soon after the wash cycle, and dry the seal gaps.
It works.
A bit of a pain, but it you don't believe me, look at all the consumer lawsuits concerning this issue with front loading washers in recent years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.