Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please, for upgrading rack on Kona Sutra.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Suggestions please, for upgrading rack on Kona Sutra.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 09:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Hi MSN, I would be very curious to know what brand racks you recommend for cycling around home that don't have the narrow platform on top.
Thanks!
There are lots of options. One of my bikes I use a Nitto rack that I picked up at a swap meet, not sure which model it is. One of my bikes I use an old Surly rack, very heavy and I stopped using it for touring a decade ago when I bought my Ergo, but it has a very wide platform. I have an older Zefal, not sure the model, but it has a good platform on top. Racktime Addit rack, I use that to tour on my titanium bike but have also used that as an around town rack, it is good for mounting panniers low but the platform is not too narrow. Some of the older Blackburn racks were quite stiff and lightweight, but had an adequate platform too.

Bottom line, when touring my priority is a good rack for panniers, platform is secondary. Tubus Ergo with narromw platform below.

But around home a platform has a higher priority and while I occasionally use panners as a gym bag or for groceries, that is a lower priority. My gym bag is the pannier below (photo is pre-covid when gyms were safer). Rack is a Nitto I picked up at a swap meet.

Old 03-06-21, 11:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Hi MSN, I would be very curious to know what brand racks you recommend for cycling around home that don't have the narrow platform on top.
Thanks!
For a rack top bag I would go Racktime (which is owned by Tubus) it is an aluminum rack that is compatible with a whole host of neat bags, baskets, and panniers (MIK uses the same bolt pattern so if you find a MIK compatible bag you can adapt it to Racktime). Plus Racktime does dynamo and e-bike compatible racks with lights on the back which is nice. If not them Topeak makes a fine around town rack.

I personally am quite happy with my Tubus Cargo rack and if I was doing it again probably would have gone Logo but honestly haven't really had major problems but I don't tend to run a rack top bag and panniers (I have Arkel GT-54s so plenty of space) I usually strap down sandals and other random stuff that doesn't need a ton of space or is semi flexible.