Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

removing cogs from freewheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

removing cogs from freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-21, 02:26 PM
niswanger

Bikes: About 5, maybe 6?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
1-Not too often if only because few do the complete take apart. Freewheels see very little bearing track wear due to a few aspects. The time the bearings are rolling there's virtually no load on them (assuming a correct amount of bearing slop is present). When they are transferring force they are stationary. Remember the smaller the rolling element the greater the effect of any change in preload.

2- This is one of the advances that the Asian manufactures brought to the cycling world (AFAIK), cog teeth with specific profiles to enhance either shifting or cross chaining. There are many different profiles that ST used over the years and between the various models and cog positions. If you look at the photo of the still assembled FW you'll see that the largest 3 cogs have tooth top with no added chamfering on the tip. If looked from behind the bike one can see these teeth have a chisel shaped tip with the sharp edge closer to the outside of the bike and the bevel going down as you go toward the spokes. This to better grab the chain during shifting (remember this design predated current indexed tooth designs by about 15+ years). The 3 smaller cogs have the added chamfer to the tooth's outward face with it removing the rear outer tooth tip. I believe this is to better allow cross chaining. Just duplicate this pair of patterns when you reassemble.

3- Very few chains are directional in their install/function. At one time some I knew were concerned about the chain's surface wear and side to side flexibility and tracked how the chain was removed then reinstalled to control this. I never bought into this and think the periodic cleaning and lubing of the chain makes a FAR larger difference in life span and function. As to whether to reuse the chain I generally consider the "stretch" wear amount as a first priority then overall visual condition next. Is the old chain still good measurement wise? Remember that the cog teeth have some amount of wear (and there's no tooth wear measurement tool that I know of that will work on this FW) so the question might be "Are the FW teeth worn enough to no longer allow the new chain to fully mesh, and thus have no skipping. The only way to truely know this for sure is to install a new chain and power away in every cog to see what happens. We do this during bike servicing routinely and we don't dispose of the old chain till we've confirmed the new chain and old cogs are agreeable with each other. Andy
Andrew, thank you for the detail response. I'm good on #1 (I'll just keep all shims in use), and #3 (I will buy a new chain and try, just need to find the same chain I suppose?). But going back to #2, can you explain what Sheldon Brown means by "the high side of the teeth of SunTour sprockets faces to the right."? What does he mean by high side?

And finally here's my first two cogs installed just as they were taken off. Do they look correct to you? Chamfer side and direction?

Old 02-20-21, 03:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Roy- If you view the tooth in cross section the right side (the side towards the dropout) it a bit taller then the left side (the face towards the spokes). IIRC ST called this a chisel top. This right face, sharper top edge, is to help grab the chain. (Ironically with modern teeth profiles now relying of shift gates, instead of tooth top profiles the teeth can now have a bevel on this outer face to reduce the shifting chance until that shift gate comes around).

But as I mentioned before ST used a few different tooth profiles over the yeas and cog positions so this "high side" or sharp/taller edge might not be present on every cog.

Yes the two smallest cogs are correct. Andy
Old 03-07-21, 10:25 PM
niswanger

Bikes: About 5, maybe 6?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quick update here. First shout out to Andrew for sending me two spacers for free. Andrew, I didn't use them, let me explain... My freshman college son has been really good friends with another freshman college young man (Texas A&M Engineering) and back when they were in high school this friend helped me and my son with some 3D printed PETG parts for our kayaks. Well, early on when I knew I smoked one of these spacers I took the measurement and shot them over to him. Due to several factors (winter storm, being a college kid, etc.) he didn't respond for a couple of weeks, but out of no where he shot me a message and said he was back home for the weekend and had my shims. I didn't want to forgo using them. I had received your spacers in the mail just a couple of days before he had them to drop off to me. So as you can see in the pictures below, I've used his spacers (he too will see this post). Any how, the freewheel rebuild is done, all-in-all a good learning experience. I did take the freewheel and original frame to a long standing bike shop here in north Austin and I happened to catch the owner (Tom Buck) and he had a look at my freewheel. He, like many here, said it's admirable you obviously put a good deal of time into rebuilding this freewheel, but it's likely the Taiwan 6 speed I have as fairly old stock is better and it's only $20. Then after looking at it he said, between Suntour and Shimano, they just don't make things so beefy any longer (some of it's technology/alloy improvements but a lot of it is cheap scaling down of material and craftsmanship). He said my Suntour freewheel is is great shape, built like a tank and now performing nicely from my rebuild. He then check my chain with a chain tool and said my original chain is TOTALLY shot, stretched, worn, 100% not advisable to reuse. So he suggested this KMC 6 speed 3/32 chain with missing link will likely work out just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 He said if you see shifting issues right away and all the shifting tweaks/checks are good (chain-line etc.) then I'll likely need a new freewheel to go with the new chain.

Here's the process of putting this back together:

Last edited by niswanger; 03-08-21 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-08-21, 12:45 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Great job, you made it through!

I see you use a pair of tweezers. I use a smallish screwdriver with a dab of grease on the end, with which you can pick up one or even two balls at a time, push them into the grease-filled bearing and slide the screwdriver away - since the bearing has more grease it holds the balls well enough to allow the grease on the screwdriver to be overcome.