Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need finding parts I have no idea what I’m looking for

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 06:58 AM
Maxkopczak1223

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bike model is the 2006 sl 1000 tour the France edition it needs a rear derailleur and chain I don’t know what to get? Please help it’s got 8 speed on the rear and 3 on the front
Old 03-08-21, 07:35 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Classic & Vintage to Bike Mechanics.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-08-21, 08:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Let's see... sorry but my crystal ball is too foggy to see what we don't know. The usual is to try a bike shop if one's local. This way you can bring the bike/part you're dealing with and they can touch/feel and therefore know what you seek. Or you can give us far more info and we can try. Part names, brands, model numbers, the problems you're trying to fix, the goals you have WRT this bike. We need more clues then just a nameless brand and generic gear count. Andy
Old 03-08-21, 09:27 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Might that be a TREK 2006 SL1000 Tour De France?? 2006trek.pdf (vintage-trek.com) (scroll down to page 14). As mentioned we need more info on your bike such as what brand, maybe a link to a photo, name of mfr. on your derailleur and the model name may also be on the part. Just doing your own google search will usually get the photos and list of parts on your bike then just look at them on your bike for comparison. Come back to us with more info so we can offer some accurate help. Also knowing why you need new parts can help us diagnose if it is really needed or just needs some adjusting or fixing. Are you sure you need a new chain? Did you measure it for wear or is it damaged or missing?

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-08-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-08-21, 09:53 AM
Maxkopczak1223

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It says I need a shimano tiagra but there 10 speed not the 8 speed I need
Old 03-08-21, 10:14 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxkopczak1223
It says I need a shimano tiagra but there 10 speed not the 8 speed I need
This is why we need some more info. Yours could still have a tiagra which also works with an 8 speed of that era and there are different "cage lengths" which means the part for the two small jockey wheels on your derailleur comes in different lengths. Since you have 3 chainrings you'll need a long cage. Search for some other photos where you can see the derailleur and compare with yours and also many other derailleurs can be substituted but we need to know what you have now. Throw us a few crumbs here. You still haven't mentioned why your replacing it.