Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Cadence and/or Speed Sensors

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 03-08-21, 01:33 PM
Shrek On A Trek

Bikes: Trek FX 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I started riding my bike as an indoor trainer and purchased a Saris Fluid2.

I'm pretty Lo-Fi and use my Apple Watch for my heartrate monitor and YouTube "road" videos to get some scenery paired with some rocking' playlists to motivate my workout.

I think I want to add a Cadence sensor. Will that give me the watts readings everyone is talking about? I can get the Wahoo Speed and Cadence sensors as a set but wonder if I need both and if so where would I mount the Speed sensor? On the rear tire hub, right?
Old 03-08-21, 02:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
It depends on the sensor. Older sensors had a magnet on the wheel and a pickup on the frame. Newer ones are on the wheel.

It will not give you power, but it should improve the estimate some.
Old 03-08-21, 02:23 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrek On A Trek
I started riding my bike as an indoor trainer and purchased a Saris Fluid2.

I'm pretty Lo-Fi and use my Apple Watch for my heartrate monitor and YouTube "road" videos to get some scenery paired with some rocking' playlists to motivate my workout.

I think I want to add a Cadence sensor. Will that give me the watts readings everyone is talking about? I can get the Wahoo Speed and Cadence sensors as a set but wonder if I need both and if so where would I mount the Speed sensor? On the rear tire hub, right?
Just so you know, if accuracy is important estimated power from speed and cadence sensors is not the best way to go. It is absolutely Lo-Fi, but Lo accuracy also comes with it. If accuracy is important, A power meter would be the best way to go and you would not need a separate cadence sensor.
Old 03-09-21, 06:52 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
A cadence sensor is easy to add, one like the Wahoo RPM don't even require attaching anything to the frame of your bike, just zip tying the unit on one pedal. There are cheaper ones out there, too.

Any power meter you would add to your bike would cost more than your trainer!
Old 03-09-21, 07:07 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You don’t need cadence to estimate power, just the rear wheel speed.
Old 03-09-21, 08:03 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
When I first started Zwifting, I wasn't convinced I was going to like it so my friend lent me a wheel on dumb trainer and I bought this product on Amazon. Unfortunately it's no longer available as a bundle but it was speed & cadence sensor and it worked great. i was able to use it to simulate speed and power in Zwift and then used outdoors with an app. on my phone to do the same. Super simple.
I have since upgraded to a smart trainer and fully embrace Zwift and no longer use the sensors.