Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropouts not parallel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dropouts not parallel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 11:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 541 Posts
Dropouts not parallel

Relevant Information:
I have a 2002 Trek 5200 (history unknown). I got the bike in what I would consider very nice condition. It does not seem to have been abused and the frame appears intact and solid. There are no scratches or apparent disturbances to the rear dropouts. When I received the bike I had the rear wheel trued. The bike has what I would consider close to vertical dropouts.

Problem:
When (any) rear wheel is installed and positioned securely up against the dropouts the wheel points about 3-4mm towards the drive side chain-stay. The wheel is not parallel to the frame. The tire clears the chainstay but it's a little too close for comfort and I'm prevented from using anything larger than a 25mm tire. When I position the left side of the axle up against the dropout the wheel will be centered. But then, when I pull the right side of the axle up against the dropout (appox 2mm of play) the wheel is off centered.

Question:
Is it dangerous or ill-advised to ride the bike with one side of the axle not securely up against the dropout? I can tighten the QR just fine. Is it possible to purchase a shim that would fit inside the dropout? Is filing down one of the dropouts by approximately 1mm a possible solution or will I been degrading the integrity of the dropout? I'm sort of leaning towards the filing solution.

Let me know if you need any more info or if I may have not described something clearly.

TMT
Old 04-18-18, 12:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cant see a thing..bring it to a bike shop, get it fixed-up there..
Old 04-18-18, 12:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Filing down drop out slot surfaces is a time honored method to correct less then best alignment. Done this many dozens of times, many dozens. Al long as the QR will keep the axle in the location you initially set it at, to attain wheel/frame coplaneness (alignment) there is no real issue. The phrase "don't fix what's not wrong" comes to mind. A QR with steel serrated drop out contacting faces and having an internal cam with NO plastic goes a long way to insure axle placement. Really this is what we did when horizontal drop out slots were the norm.

Having said that my sensibilities would want the wheel to fit in the aligned arrangement with only gravity to make quick reinstalls easy. On road flat repairs go faster and with led fiddling about this way. But my sensibilities don't ride or steer the bike. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 12:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Before taking a file to your dropout it would be wise to figure out what, exactly is wrong. You mentioned recently having the wheel trued. What made you thing that needed to be done? I'd be in favor of doing some more exploration before doing something that can't be undone.
Old 04-18-18, 12:05 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Put the wheel in backwards to insure that it is actually the frame that is wrong.

And that's assuming you are taking these measurements with the QR closed.
Old 04-18-18, 12:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I should have added that this condition isn't what's usually considered to be a drop out parallel issue, but is a stay length one. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 03:33 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Before taking a file to your dropout it would be wise to figure out what, exactly is wrong. You mentioned recently having the wheel trued. What made you thing that needed to be done? I'd be in favor of doing some more exploration before doing something that can't be undone.
The wheel was definitely out of true when I obtained the bike. Also, I have installed 2 other compatible wheels on the bike and they all exhibit the same behavior

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Filing down drop out slot surfaces is a time honored method to correct less then best alignment. Done this many dozens of times, many dozens. Al long as the QR will keep the axle in the location you initially set it at, to attain wheel/frame coplaneness (alignment) there is no real issue. The phrase "don't fix what's not wrong" comes to mind. A QR with steel serrated drop out contacting faces and having an internal cam with NO plastic goes a long way to insure axle placement. Really this is what we did when horizontal drop out slots were the norm.

Having said that my sensibilities would want the wheel to fit in the aligned arrangement with only gravity to make quick reinstalls easy. On road flat repairs go faster and with led fiddling about this way. But my sensibilities don't ride or steer the bike. Andy
Thank you and understood. I'm leaning towards some touch and go filing.

Originally Posted by Kontact
Put the wheel in backwards to insure that it is actually the frame that is wrong.
I will give that a try in my effort to cover all my bases.
Old 04-18-18, 04:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Don't pick up a file until you've confirmed that the frame is otherwise straight. It doesn't need to have strange marks on it for the chainstays to be bent a little to one side or the other.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-18-18, 04:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
can you make some alignment test tools? 2 straight axles and 4 nuts is not a great expence
Old 04-18-18, 04:51 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would check the alignment of the whole frame. Seems to me if both halves of the rear triangle (in other words, both the drive and non-drive chain/seat-stays) were bent to the same side, this could happen.
Old 04-18-18, 05:13 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would check the alignment of the whole frame. Seems to me if both halves of the rear triangle (in other words, both the drive and non-drive chain/seat-stays) were bent to the same side, this could happen.
It's a full carbon frame, which can't bend. I would guess it has been like this from the moment the dropouts were bonded in.
Old 04-18-18, 05:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Take a frame alignment guage to it. Could be asymmetrical stays. Is the wheel actually off-axis to the centerline of the bike? Or is the stay spacing the only bug?
Old 04-18-18, 05:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Take a frame alignment guage to it. Could be asymmetrical stays. Is the wheel actually off-axis to the centerline of the bike? Or is the stay spacing the only bug?
Good point.
Old 04-18-18, 06:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There are a few quick and dirty things you can do if you don't take it to an LBS to check the alignment. Take some measurements of the chainstay, from the BB, to see if there is a pretty obvious difference. Install the wheel and see if the rear derailleur is parallel with the cassette or is it at a slight angle. If the derailleur is parallel the hanger/dropouts might be tweaked. If you do file, alter the non-drive side.

John
Old 04-18-18, 07:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's a full carbon frame, which can't bend. I would guess it has been like this from the moment the dropouts were bonded in.
+1 It is indeed a carbon frame so bending really isn't an option and perhaps filing isn't a good idea either.
Old 04-18-18, 08:30 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Kapusta
That does sound like a possibility. But, with an impact that would move them both that much I would have expected some of the carbon around the dropouts to have been cracked. The bike does not appear to have been abused.

I was able to get about 2mm of movement where I needed it by filing down the one dropout just slightly. I don't want to spend top much effort and the filing seems to be the quickest means to my end. I appreciate everyone's input and there are a lot of suggestions and ideas to keep me thinking about this problem.

TMT
Old 04-18-18, 08:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

With a carbon frame the most one can do is to get the rear wheel relatively centered by filing the drops. Remember that theres about a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio of wheel shift to filing amount. Go slow and check. I usually file on the slot's forward slot first so any QR slippage is negated by the axle's butting against this surface. Then I go to the seat stay centering being careful to not change the chain stay centering, easier said then done though. Know that the if the rear drops are not centered WRT the mainframe plane all you end up with is a wheel that looks centered in the frame but will be actually steering the bike from the rear as it's contact patch with the ground won't be centered WRT the main frame (or ft wheel).

Again doing less is often the greater good. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 09:01 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 It is indeed a carbon frame so bending really isn't an option and perhaps filing isn't a good idea either.
Why would filing the aluminum dropouts be a bad idea?
Old 04-18-18, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Agreed, but others with different frames need to know that not all carbon frames use AL drops. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 09:28 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Agreed, but others with different frames need to know that not all carbon frames use AL drops. Andy
Yeah, but I don't know why anyone would assume that all bikes are identical - carbon bikes have been made with four different dropout materials. The OP identified the model in the first post - I sometimes find it frustrating that people like to give technical advice when they don't understand much about the problem.
Old 04-18-18, 09:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I thought that was the norm here Andy (who also gets frustrated)
Old 04-18-18, 11:29 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Filing dropouts on a modern carbon frame?

Just because a wheel is true doesn't mean it is properly dished....did you even check this?

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 04-19-18, 12:33 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Filing dropouts on a modern carbon frame?

Just because a wheel is true doesn't mean it is properly dished....did you even check this?

=8-|
Seems like it.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
The wheel was definitely out of true when I obtained the bike. Also, I have installed 2 other compatible wheels on the bike and they all exhibit the same behavior

I will give that a try in my effort to cover all my bases.
Old 04-19-18, 01:25 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Seems like it.
Who knows, maybe all his wheels are zero dish wheels (which of course do not exist for symmetrical frame based bikes which 99.99% of us ride.)

I kinda wonder too if the frame in question has a bond that has come loose or slipped. I've seen it happen on a late 90s Vitus? - and you couldn't tell with a cursory look cause it somehow looked clean even when slipped. (Left chainstay into dropout.)

Either way - when trouble shooting frames:

1. Properly dished wheels.
2. Dropout alignment.
3. Frame alignment check / Fork alignment check.
4. Then elsewhere....including fixes.

Jumping to #4 without any dead obvious "wrecked exotics" like damage / oddities is not how you go about stuff like this.

=8-P

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 04-19-18, 07:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Why would filing the aluminum dropouts be a bad idea?
Are the dropouts aluminum? Many carbon frames have carbon dropouts too. If they really are aluminum, by all means file away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.