Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Early Winter in New England

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 06:58 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

Boston is getting clipped by Tropical Storm Zeta, which of course collided with the cold Canadian air that's besetting us this week. So, we got an inch of rain yesterday and now today we're getting 2-4 inches of snow.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back Saturday night in to Sunday!
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 11-01-20, 07:41 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
It was great to get a little snow out in Central Massachusetts. Hoping we have a snowier winter than last year so I can enjoy all the trails more.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 11-02-20, 08:30 AM
parkbrav

great video Zip!!!

I checked out the local bike path yesterday. Most of the snow melted, except there was a small section of frozen slush near the highway overpass. I had the studs on but I still skidded a lot, especially on the way back. There were a lot of dead leaves on the path too, even some green leaves that got blown off early.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 11-02-20, 07:06 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by parkbrav
great video Zip!!!

I checked out the local bike path yesterday. Most of the snow melted, except there was a small section of frozen slush near the highway overpass. I had the studs on but I still skidded a lot, especially on the way back. There were a lot of dead leaves on the path too, even some green leaves that got blown off early.
Thanks !. Can't help but have fun playing on the trails with some snow. Really looking forward to more snow and ice so I can get the studded tires on and have some fun adventures this winter.
Old 11-03-20, 08:40 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
If the forecast holds we could see the biggest snow dump in 7 years on Sunday, 30+ cm. It will be too much to break trail through. But it will give me a chance to go snowshoeing as there hasn't been enough snow for that the past 2 winters. After the cars get out in the snow I'll have fun blasting around the packed side streets and back alleys.

It will be quite the shift. We had a 2 week stretch of nasty cold in October, including an 8 day stretch where it didn't go above freezing. 4 days this week are hitting 20C. Then 4 days of snow.
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-06-20, 10:01 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Where are you located Zipp? I'm in Rutland and would like to hook up for a ride sometime.
Likes For chief9245:
Old 11-08-20, 08:12 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by chief9245
Where are you located Zipp? I'm in Rutland and would like to hook up for a ride sometime.
I'm in Winchendon right next to Lake Dennison, but soon to be the center of Gardner. I'll still do almost all of my winter trail riding at Dennison, they will groom the trails once they get enough snow for the snowmobiles. Just hit me up if you ever what to come out in this region for a trail ride.
Old 11-15-20, 10:39 AM
parkbrav

So This was the third consecutive weekend that I went cycling for fun.

The first weekend - I went north to Wilmington and Reading MA checking out potential new apartments (well off into the future)

Last weekend - I hit the Minute Man bike path north and stopped at the Bedford train station (see above photo). My buddy and I stopped off for FroYo on the way back (it was 70F out!)

This weekend - I travelled south via Route 38 and Route 60 through Medford into Somerville, took the Community Bike trail west to Davis Square, and then caught the Minute Man trail from Alewife Station back north through Arlington MA
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 11-16-20, 04:22 PM
parkbrav

The Weather channel is predicting La Nina weather patterns this winter - cold and wet for the north.

It's also predicting "much warmer than normal" temperatures for much of the east and north east

https://weather.com/news/weather/new...eans-us-winter
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-16-21, 01:25 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav

So This was the third consecutive weekend that I went cycling for fun.

The first weekend - I went north to Wilmington and Reading MA checking out potential new apartments (well off into the future)

Last weekend - I hit the Minute Man bike path north and stopped at the Bedford train station (see above photo). My buddy and I stopped off for FroYo on the way back (it was 70F out!)

This weekend - I travelled south via Route 38 and Route 60 through Medford into Somerville, took the Community Bike trail west to Davis Square, and then caught the Minute Man trail from Alewife Station back north through Arlington MA
I thought that looked familiar, that’s a mile down the road from me! 👍🏻