Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

OT - Oxygen concentrators in ambulances?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 07:04 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts

I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I don't subscribe to any place which might be better. Mods, feel free to delete.

I keep hearing that there's an oxygen shortage for ambulances, particularly in Southern California. Could oxygen concentrators be pressed into service? It wouldn't surprise me if ambulances had inverters to provide the necessary AC power.

I've never used one before, and the only time I was in an ambulance I was in no condition to admire its amenities. Perhaps there are some framebuilding EMTs who can comment.
Old 01-10-21, 12:45 PM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
I haven't ever thought about it before but if someone had asked, I would think ambulances would have Oxygen concentrators built into them....
Old 01-10-21, 12:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
In normal times, it's far simpler just to swap tanks

I think the issue is they don't like backpressure. Not sure how much crews would appreciate the alarms going off. Probably practical issues related to free o2 in small spaces.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-10-21, 01:37 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It occurred to me later... Might they be useful during those six- to eight-hour waits to get their patients into ERs? If they are parked, perhaps the concentrators could be outside the ambulances, minimizing problems with available O2. That would save some of the O2 tank capacity for mobile situations.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 01-11-21, 12:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
IIRC Bottle oxygen will allow higher flow rates than a concentrator, which can be needed in emergencies. Also as no power is needed, there is no need to disconnect from the patient until in the hospital.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-12-21, 12:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm sure they have power outlets, but probably not places to mount the concentrators that have an outlet. And it's going to bounce around without a lot of work.

I was going to buy a concentrator, now I'm wondering if there are any available.
Old 01-12-21, 12:22 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm sure they have power outlets, but probably not places to mount the concentrators that have an outlet. And it's going to bounce around without a lot of work.

I was going to buy a concentrator, now I'm wondering if there are any available.

I got mine through a seller on DotMed. I made it clear in my communication that it would be used for a torch and not for medical use. There are plenty of listings, but this was the first reasonably priced one that I saw https://www.dotmed.com/listing/oxyge...-liter/1554554
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-12-21, 03:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks. I'm going to ask M&M, the relatively local company that Doug Fattic recommends, but if they don't have any, I'll go to dotmed.
Old 01-12-21, 05:43 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Right after Covid started, I got information from someone that inquired that M&M was out of concentrators. I called them last month and they had some back in stock. I suppose lots of people dying has provided a fresh supply. I recommend a Devillbis 525 which seems to have a bit more oomph than an Invocare (mine works okay but has little less power than my older 515)