Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde Inside

Old 01-13-21, 07:12 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Clyde Inside

Howdy folks. Now I will start this off with this: I have always hated, with a passion, indoor cycling. However with weather issues as well as short days creating a conflict between work and biking (I know, quit the job right?) I picked up a used classic trainer and started a Zwift account. Now I won't say I'm hooked, but it's definitely more interesting than plain old school stationary biking like the old days. I do have to stop trying to lean into corners though lol. So does anyone else here Zwift?

Eric
Likes For exercion:
Old 01-13-21, 07:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Yep. https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...cycling-forum/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-21, 06:34 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
Howdy folks. Now I will start this off with this: I have always hated, with a passion, indoor cycling. However with weather issues as well as short days creating a conflict between work and biking (I know, quit the job right?) I picked up a used classic trainer and started a Zwift account. Now I won't say I'm hooked, but it's definitely more interesting than plain old school stationary biking like the old days. I do have to stop trying to lean into corners though lol. So does anyone else here Zwift?

Eric
Fellow clyde here. We gave away our high end (but 10yo) recumbent exerbike about 6 months before covid started. (Oops!!) I leaned back into biking in late fall, and started looking seriously for indoor options after the 1st of the year.

I started a zwift account this weekend with the hopes of becoming a lesser clyde. Tacx Flux S, my Surly cross check, and this 4yo laptop are getting the job done so far.

And yes, I have leaned into a corner, gotten mad when someone bumped into me, and ducked at an intersection where a speedy rider on a tron bike missed me by inches....
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 01-19-21, 06:55 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoxe
Fellow clyde here. We gave away our high end (but 10yo) recumbent exerbike about 6 months before covid started. (Oops!!) I leaned back into biking in late fall, and started looking seriously for indoor options after the 1st of the year.

I started a zwift account this weekend with the hopes of becoming a lesser clyde. Tacx Flux S, my Surly cross check, and this 4yo laptop are getting the job done so far.

And yes, I have leaned into a corner, gotten mad when someone bumped into me, and ducked at an intersection where a speedy rider on a tron bike missed me by inches....
Hi Zoxe, glad to hear from you. I was starting to either feel either like I was a cutting edge clyde type......or a leper for mentioning this lol. It's slowly growing on me, not sure I'll ever love it but it does keep the pedals moving.
Likes For exercion:
Old 01-19-21, 07:52 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
Hi Zoxe, glad to hear from you. I was starting to either feel either like I was a cutting edge clyde type......or a leper for mentioning this lol. It's slowly growing on me, not sure I'll ever love it but it does keep the pedals moving.
I am trying to find my legs again. We've been off the road bikes since 2017 and haven't been to the gym to spin in about a year. Quite a rude awakening for me; I've slipped further than I thought.

And yah, agree that the trainer is still the trainer. But Zwift is much better than "just music" or trying to follow youtube workouts. I'll admit that I'm geeking out with researching routes offline and other game features. I still have many days left on the 30d trial that came w/ the Tacx but will likely sign up at the end of the month.
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 01-20-21, 01:15 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I tried Zwift back in December 2016 but for some reason it didn't click for me. I tried some of the workouts, just riding around, and even tried a race or two (oh boy!). I just enjoy riding outside so much more that no matter what I do on the trainer it sucks, lol.

Now I just follow some simple workouts for doing intervals in training zones and then have a little tablet that I watch movies on or sometimes watch bike races as well. I'm unable to trick my self with riding inside. It's so far away from what I enjoy (riding outside) that my mind always knows I'm inside and it's lame. Also I cannot sit on the trainer for more than about 1.5 hours. So I just make workouts that are usually an hour and then get the intervals done and move on. Unfortunately once I'm able to ride outside I completely forget about the trainer for the next 7 months.

Zwift appears to work for a lot of people. But I'm not one of them.
Old 01-24-21, 10:52 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I have more Zwift miles than real miles. I am currently using my old 98 Cannondale R200 with 3x7 gearing, on an older Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. To that I added their iNride sensor (Bluetooth and ANT+). I use my 3 year old laptop, cabled to my home network and to a TV on the wall. And either my phone or tablet running the companion app. While it isn't controlled by Zwift, the trainer still makes you work for the hills to get any speed...

I made my own table, a thrift store walker, and scrap piece of OSB. Cut off the rubber hand grips. Used plastic conduit clamps. Works great, is cheap. Would be nice if it was a couple inches taller, but works just fine.

Front room is getting a makeover soon, not sure where all the cardio equipment will go... The TV is now on the wall, too... At eye level on the bike or treadmill.

I'm intrigued with the concept of steering in Zwift. Purpose built steering devices are pricey. I made my own, using a lazy Susan swivel (rated for 1000 pounds) and two pieces of OSB. I haven't tried it yet. I hope it works, so I can find those hidden MTB trails... Supposedly, the phone or tablet on the handlebars uses the built-in gyro to detect turning in Zwift.

Last edited by zjrog; 03-01-21 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 01-25-21, 11:20 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Is that stand up white fan your only cooling? My inside riding changed significantly once I got another fan and I got one of the blower models that sits on the floor with an adjustable blower. Here's the model I have;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have another one I bought a few years ago a Stanley one that is yellow that blows a bit more. I have them on the floor one towards my midsection and one going more towards the legs. Then I have a tornado fan behind me. I start with the fan behind me since it feels like a tail wind and then as the intensity of the ride goes up I'll turn on the other fans. It really does make a huge difference.

Use this;

To remotely turn on the fans so you don't have to pause your ride.

Nice setup BTW.

This picture shows current fan setup.Yellow and black in front are set at different blower angles, mid chest and legs. The tornado for the back is good for all over cooling.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 01-25-21 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 05:57 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Is that stand up white fan your only cooling? My inside riding changed significantly once I got another fan and I got one of the blower models that sits on the floor with an adjustable blower. Here's the model I have;

I have another one I bought a few years ago a Stanley one that is yellow that blows a bit more. I have them on the floor one towards my midsection and one going more towards the legs. Then I have a tornado fan behind me. I start with the fan behind me since it feels like a tail wind and then as the intensity of the ride goes up I'll turn on the other fans. It really does make a huge difference.

Use this;

To remotely turn on the fans so you don't have to pause your ride.

Nice setup BTW.

You can see the yellow one I have on a stool and the black one linked above is to the left of that and the tornado fan behind me. I've since moved the yellow to where the black one is now and the black one is on the right side of the desk and pointing at a little higher angle.

Yes, for now. It has been sufficient for shorter rides indoors when its warm. It has a remote, sonI can change speeds as well. I will look at additional fans, something I keep putting off.

Nice setup as well!
Likes For zjrog: