Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 12:52 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Meh....
As a mechanic I can say that there are some integrated systems that I abhor *cough*TrekMadone*cough* but if I opposed everything that people like the looks of but is completely mechanically stupid then I wouldn't have much to do every day. I' just be out here posting non-stop.... wait...
This is what I was thinking. If I was a mechanic, I'd want bike out there that need a mechanic to work on
Old 02-27-21, 12:59 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Black woman in the pilot's seat, Hispanic co-pilot? I think we are still a few years away. (But I can dream.)
Not sure what you mean by this. I know many minority women that are pilots. There are organizations that specialize in helping minorities and women land flying jobs (OBAP being one that comes to mind). Women in Aviation (WIA) is another good one.
Maybe as a culture we don't encourage girls to get into STEM jobs, but any woman that wants to fly (and has what it takes) can fly today (there's a shortage as well).
Old 02-27-21, 02:45 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I think, in the fullness of time, we'll see a fully electronic cockpit, with brake-by-wire, or even wireless braking, with some sort of haptic feedback for the brake levers and electrically-powered disk calipers. It'll open up antilock braking, multiple braking points (eg, levers and bar tops), adjustable front-rear braking bias etc.
Brakes will be electrically controlled disks, I doubt wifi is in their future. Also doubt braking will be from a single actuation point (like in automobiles) as it would be if you joined the front/rear braking into one electronically controlled system with some bias, anti-locking systems. But perhaps on the brake front, I just can't imagine not having control over which wheel I would be applying braking to. That would be like when modern cars won't allow you to make a clock spin or go sliding rear wheels through a road turn (I think only high end sports cars allow disabling the system, at least partly to allow for those things).
Old 02-27-21, 03:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Not sure what you mean by this. I know many minority women that are pilots. There are organizations that specialize in helping minorities and women land flying jobs (OBAP being one that comes to mind). Women in Aviation (WIA) is another good one.
Maybe as a culture we don't encourage girls to get into STEM jobs, but any woman that wants to fly (and has what it takes) can fly today (there's a shortage as well).
You are reading way too much into this. I was just having fun with the words integrated and cockpit. I think both terms,as used on bikes, are rather presumptuous. So taking this to what I think of when I hear "cockpit", the flight cabin of a plane, what is the most integrated flight crew you could have (and the most different from the almost always all white male crew you could have. (Just my observations and I have flown many times.)

If this was offensive to anybody, I'm sorry. I seem to learn best inserting my foot into my mouth.

Ben
Old 02-27-21, 03:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm not a fan. Perhaps there's something I don't understand but it looks like you either fit or you don't don't. So, if there's no adjustability how does that help me? I actually like the look but form follows function.
Old 02-27-21, 03:36 PM
Metallifan33

You are reading way too much into this. I was just having fun with the words integrated and cockpit. I think both terms,as used on bikes, are rather presumptuous. So taking this to what I think of when I hear "cockpit", the flight cabin of a plane, what is the most integrated flight crew you could have (and the most different from the almost always all white male crew you could have. (Just my observations and I have flown many times.)

If this was offensive to anybody, I'm sorry. I seem to learn best inserting my foot into my mouth.

Ben
Ah. I missed the joke; sorry.
I'm sure you didn't offend anyone
Old 02-27-21, 04:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I was just having fun with the words integrated and cockpit. I think both terms,as used on bikes, are rather presumptuous.
No, it's not. That you don't immediately know what it means doesn't mean that the terms are presumptuous, it just means that you're not up to speed.
Old 02-27-21, 10:04 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Okay, I see what you mean. I was watching Omloop Het Neiwsblad today and looked like virtually every cockpit was one piece.
Old 03-01-21, 07:44 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well there ya go! New bike plus experimenting with setup is always a fun time of ownership.
4 long rides in the last 10 days? And here i am looking forward to just getting out on a bike at all tomorrow!
Lil over 600 miles and almost 45,000ft in the first two weeks on the new bike. Now I just need my new wheels to get here, and the weather to keep warming up!
Old 03-01-21, 12:18 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
The longer I take to decide on my next bike, the closer and closer the decision becomes to it being a full-aero setup with fully integrated lines. As others have pointed out, it just looks so. much. better.

Leaning towards a self-built bike at this point, with either a Winspace or Yoeleo frame. But nothing decided yet.
Old 03-02-21, 08:03 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Wow. Folks tipping the advent of electric brakes are displaying the sort of STEM ignorance that's evidently rampant in the populace, as evidenced by the spread of absurd conspiracy theories any high schooler should be able to call out as obvious bunk...

Consider the force operating on disc pads, and the percentage variation of that required for fine modulation - now imagine actuators small enough, powerful enough, and efficient enough, and also a feedback system capable of allowing for fine modulation.

Pffff. Never gonna happen. Even if it was possible to get to the proof of concept stage, bulk and complexity would be prohibitive. But let's say technology is sufficiently magic to make it all light and sleek - the expense would be utterly horrific, especially in light of the fact it's far from clear what problem is being solved by going from hydraulic to electric.
Old 03-03-21, 10:25 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Wow. Folks tipping the advent of electric brakes are displaying the sort of STEM ignorance that's evidently rampant in the populace, as evidenced by the spread of absurd conspiracy theories any high schooler should be able to call out as obvious bunk...

Consider the force operating on disc pads, and the percentage variation of that required for fine modulation - now imagine actuators small enough, powerful enough, and efficient enough, and also a feedback system capable of allowing for fine modulation.

Pffff. Never gonna happen. Even if it was possible to get to the proof of concept stage, bulk and complexity would be prohibitive. But let's say technology is sufficiently magic to make it all light and sleek - the expense would be utterly horrific, especially in light of the fact it's far from clear what problem is being solved by going from hydraulic to electric.
Eh - the tech is there for lots of vehicles already. The issue would be wired or wireless for bikes. If wireless then we now have batteries for our brakes...that's not going to pass anyone's safety regulations. So wired it is....then why not just stick with hydraulic, cheaper, more efficient, lighter, and proven.

Old 03-03-21, 10:29 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Eh - the tech is there for lots of vehicles already. The issue would be wired or wireless for bikes. If wireless then we now have batteries for our brakes...that's not going to pass anyone's safety regulations. So wired it is....then why not just stick with hydraulic, cheaper, more efficient, lighter, and proven.
Not sure how going wired solves the problem. If your battery runs out mid-descent, you're still screwed.
Old 03-03-21, 10:48 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by smashndash
Not sure how going wired solves the problem. If your battery runs out mid-descent, you're still screwed.
Eh...whole system battery meaning it would be larger and would shut down other functions as it got closer to running out (like how shimano shuts off front shifting as the battery gets low). Wouldn't be completely safe but would be a better system than wireless requiring your own battery in each brake.

Old 03-03-21, 11:28 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Eh...whole system battery meaning it would be larger and would shut down other functions as it got closer to running out (like how shimano shuts off front shifting as the battery gets low). Wouldn't be completely safe but would be a better system than wireless requiring your own battery in each brake.
I don't think the lawyers would ever allow it. You can single speed it if the whole shifting system dies, but Fred Flintstone brakes aren't really a viable option.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-03-21, 12:13 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I don't think the lawyers would ever allow it. You can single speed it if the whole shifting system dies, but Fred Flintstone brakes aren't really a viable option.
Right. The only potential solution would be that each caliper has a backup battery + the bike has a dynamo hub that guarantees you won't run out of charge on the road (ie, like a car).
Old 03-03-21, 12:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
You just tug on the wires if the battery dies.
Old 03-03-21, 02:36 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You too, Psimet? Wouldn't have picked you for that sort of fantasist.

The whole idea will never get past, or even to, the drawing board. It's utterly ridiculous in every way. Someone tell me what problem it solves. And consider that a Di2 derailer, employing a bespoke actuator designed to meet a far less demanding brief, costs like $500.

Shifting uses tiny little batteries. Has anyone considered for a moment, what size bucket of electrons you need to repeatedly haul 80kg or so to a stop? Electric brakes would weigh half as much as the bike, if you're lucky! And folks just hand-wave past the critical aspect of feedback - I suspect this would be a decidedly non-trivial challenge.

I mean come on. Why? Does any motorbike have them?

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-03-21 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-03-21, 02:46 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
You too, Psimet? Wouldn't have picked you for that sort of fantasist.

The whole idea will never get past, or even to, the drawing board. It's utterly ridiculous in every way. Someone tell me what problem it solves. And consider that a Di2 derailer, employing a bespoke actuator designed to meet a far less demanding brief, costs like $500.

Shifting uses tiny little batteries. Has anyone considered for a moment, what size bucket of electrons you need to repeatedly haul 80kg or so to a stop? Electric brakes would weigh half as much as the bike, if you're lucky! And folks just hand-wave past the critical aspect of feedback - I suspect this would be a decidedly non-trivial challenge.

I mean come on. Why? Does any motorbike have them?
My career goes way back into the hydraulic industry so I will always be a bit of a fan for hydraulic's capabilities for the price. Really wanted to work with the Rotor group but alas have held off.

Yeah/no electronic brakes aren't going to happen for all of the reasons you mention and more. Then again I always though electric shift systems on bikes were ridiculous and stupid....yet I ride them and would easily opt for them over manual systems on any new bike. I also don't fully embrace disc brakes for a lot of reasons...yet almost every bike i have is a disc bike at this point.

Things and tech change. *shrug*

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-04-21, 06:00 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Anything that panders to those cyclists that can’t help looking at or taking pictures of their bikes is here to stay ofc
Old 03-04-21, 08:05 AM
JayHal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
If bike forum posts are representative of most cycling enthusiasts, you got nothing to worry about. Half of the posters here are still using rim brakes, tubes, and 8 speed cassettes!
We older riders love a variety of tech but mostly over 40 years.
Old 03-04-21, 08:19 AM
JayHal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an older rider I have 10 bikes to ride but don't exceed 30 miles. All my bikes are at least 10 years old in carbon, steel and aluminum and they have various configurations based on my estimated ability for that ride. Having put over 300 people on bikes I find that individual ability varies more than technology.
Old 03-04-21, 08:59 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
My career goes way back into the hydraulic industry so I will always be a bit of a fan for hydraulic's capabilities for the price. Really wanted to work with the Rotor group but alas have held off.

Yeah/no electronic brakes aren't going to happen for all of the reasons you mention and more. Then again I always though electric shift systems on bikes were ridiculous and stupid....yet I ride them and would easily opt for them over manual systems on any new bike. I also don't fully embrace disc brakes for a lot of reasons...yet almost every bike i have is a disc bike at this point.

Things and tech change. *shrug*
If I have learned anything in life, it is to never make absolute statements. Things change in unpredictable ways. Except the absolute edict against absolutes.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-04-21, 09:45 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Surprised no one posted this yet...

Old 03-04-21, 03:05 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Surprised no one posted this yet...
I read about this. I was reading fast, but it sounds like these bars are adjustable for width, though it doesn’t seem to to be the cause of the break. Btw, Canyon is recalling all the bikes that use these bars, so if you own one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.