Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking sound when tightening spoke nipple - new wheel build

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-07-21, 09:28 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Been noticing that I get a creak-creak-creak sound when tightening the nipples, once the spokes start to get tight and the nipples seat firmly into the rim. At the same time, the nipples don't turn as smoothly as I would prefer when they go creak-creak.

Rim in question? Velocity Deep V. DT Swiss brass nipples.

I notice I don't get this sound with rims that have eyelets.....something the Deep V does not have.

Is this sound indicative of a problem? I feel like I SHOULD be getting these sounds if there was a lack of lubrication. But I am oiling the nipples and both spoke ends very well with a light weight machine oil. I am not over tightening. I get 107kgf on the NDS and 120kgf on the DS.

I don't like the sound and I don't like how the nipples don't turn silky smooth. It makes me think there is some kind of galling going on between the aluminum rim and the brass nipple.

Thoughs?

Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by mrmb; 03-07-21 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-07-21, 09:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Did you lubricate the nipple holes in the rim? I go around and swab each hole from the tire side with a Q-tip and grease before I start. (Also take a handful of spokes in my hand, even the threaded ends on a table and tip into a tub of grease. Then roll the spokes between my palms. A fast way to lubricate all the threads.)

About half my builds are Velocity Aero rims. Semi-deep with just holes drilled in the aluminum; probably similar to what you are seeing.
Old 03-07-21, 10:21 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Did you lubricate the nipple holes in the rim? I go around and swab each hole from the tire side with a Q-tip and grease before I start. (Also take a handful of spokes in my hand, even the threaded ends on a table and tip into a tub of grease. Then roll the spokes between my palms. A fast way to lubricate all the threads.)

About half my builds are Velocity Aero rims. Semi-deep with just holes drilled in the aluminum; probably similar to what you are seeing.
My way of lubricating the holes in the rim was to dip the nipple in oil and insert it into the rim dripping wet with oil.
Old 03-07-21, 11:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 719 Posts
I noticed something similar with the last quill I built and have also previously felt it with a couple of a23 but it has never been an actual issue. I do use a thicker oil now when I build though I'm not meticulous as to how I get it on there or how much. Either way the thicker oil seems to help some. I just make sure I properly stress the wheel before the final tweaks and everything turns out fine.
Old 03-10-21, 05:24 AM
FTB
Luke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
cbf doing so myself but some like to deburr velocity rims of recent. I use heavy weight instead of your light weight oil 80w-90 as per Jobst iirc
Old 03-10-21, 07:30 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have some hypoid axle oil, and I have considered using that.

I do have two wheel builds coming up I could try it on.
Old 03-10-21, 07:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
My way of lubricating the holes in the rim was to dip the nipple in oil and insert it into the rim dripping wet with oil.
Pretty much what I do. Drop the nipples into a dish of linseed oil. The oil lubricates while you're building the wheel, then hardens over the course of a couple days to make a mild thread-lock.