Old 03-22-18, 04:25 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MTB rental in PDX area?

I'm actually in Vancouver, and I see a place in Camas rents MTB's, but is $80 a day on the high side?

If so, since I'm right next to the river, popping over into Portland might make sense. Can anyone recommend a place to rent an MTB for a day in Portland?

Oh, and I'd welcome any suggestions for a good place to go mountain biking in the Mt St Helens area that isn't snow bound right now! A friend surprised me with coming down to the area this weekend.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-22-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 07:59 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Can't help you on MTB rentals (I live near Seattle). I'd suggest you post in the Oregon forum on MTBR.

The Lewis River trail might be rideable. You can check here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giff...a/?recid=31580 but I would suggest calling the ranger station and asking. All the other good stuff around St. Helens will be under snow.

I'd also ask the same question on the Oregon MTBR forum. You'll get a better response then here as this forum is more road oriented.
Old 03-24-18, 12:26 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodway
Can't help you on MTB rentals (I live near Seattle). I'd suggest you post in the Oregon forum on MTBR.

The Lewis River trail might be rideable. You can check here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giff...a/?recid=31580 but I would suggest calling the ranger station and asking. All the other good stuff around St. Helens will be under snow.

I'd also ask the same question on the Oregon MTBR forum. You'll get a better response then here as this forum is more road oriented.
Ah, did all that, except the OR forum over there, pretty sure I just posted it in the WA one. You're right, given where our population concentrations are, the OR makes more sense.

My assumption is that the Lewis River Trail is passable right now, or was until we got that cold snap over the past 24 hours. There's actually a hiker trip report on the WTA site that has 12 miles of the Tarbell Loop being snow free as of the first week of February, although I suspect that has changed.

Doing some more research since I first posted, I'm somewhat hopeful that Bells Mountain Trail is passable for MTB's right now, and probably all/most of the Yacolt Burn area. That's assuming they didn't just get a fresh coat of snow over the past 24 hours. I was busy with work and sleeping so I missed what the weather has been like in the area since we got this cold and wet snap over the past 24 hours. Haven't heard more from my buddy yet, he probably bagged it.

I'd be curious of there are any other good mountain biking spots in SW Washington, regardless of time of year...

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, maybe even the Lewis River Trail might not be doable right now, a WTA trip report mentions this: "the road is closed at Curly Creek from now until April." and then there's the weather today...

Last edited by Medic Zero; 03-24-18 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-24-18, 09:30 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by Medic Zero

I'd be curious of there are any other good mountain biking spots in SW Washington, regardless of time of year...

Your best resources are the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance trail guide: https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails

and trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/map/?lat=...9&m=trailforks

I've ridden Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham, Lewis River and Mt. Margaret. All are great trails. Ape Canyon and Lewis River get a lot of traffic and are rideable by many skill levels. Mt. Margaret is probably the most scenic but it is very raw.

Ape Canyon and Mt. Margaret will be under snow for months more.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-18, 10:17 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
To answer the OP's OQ: Looks like Waterfront Rentals offers MTBs:
Waterfront Bikes Waterfront Bicycles | Portland's Finest Bicycle Rental, Sales and Service Shop
But at $75/day, not much cheaper than that place in Camas.

I know that Fat Tire Farm on NW Thurman used to rent mountain bikes, but they don't anymore.
Old 03-28-18, 03:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I expect it costs a bunch because a MTB gets thrashed more,, and a rental more than one you own..

Out here the rentals are cruisers , so far only 1 was pushed up to the Astor Column,

On top of the ridge, (Great View up there)

they fried the coaster brake coming down, ...
Old 04-02-18, 03:55 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your best resources are the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance trail guide: https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails

and trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/map/?lat=...9&m=trailforks

I've ridden Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham, Lewis River and Mt. Margaret. All are great trails. Ape Canyon and Lewis River get a lot of traffic and are rideable by many skill levels. Mt. Margaret is probably the most scenic but it is very raw.

Ape Canyon and Mt. Margaret will be under snow for months more.

Have fun!
What do you mean by "raw" in regards to Mt. Margaret?

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-02-18, 03:57 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
To answer the OP's OQ: Looks like Waterfront Rentals offers MTBs:
Waterfront Bikes Waterfront Bicycles | Portland's Finest Bicycle Rental, Sales and Service Shop
But at $75/day, not much cheaper than that place in Camas.

I know that Fat Tire Farm on NW Thurman used to rent mountain bikes, but they don't anymore.

Ah, thanks! Didn't spot Waterfront when I was looking for MTB rental places. Good to know, they might have a steed that is more suited to me (not that I've check out the place in Camas stock yet though).

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-18, 01:05 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
What do you mean by "raw" in regards to Mt. Margaret?

Thanks for the info!
Read the trail description on the Evergreen website (I wrote it and those are my pictures).

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/mount-margaret

I did the ride a number of years ago (I've been thinking about going back). The trails don't see a lot of traffic and no maintenance. They are very rugged. You will push your bike *a lot*. There is zero shade. It's not a ride I would take a beginner or a low-intermediate rider onto.

OTOH, the scenery is mind blowing.
Old 04-03-18, 12:45 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read the trail description on the Evergreen website (I wrote it and those are my pictures).

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/mount-margaret

I did the ride a number of years ago (I've been thinking about going back). The trails don't see a lot of traffic and no maintenance. They are very rugged. You will push your bike *a lot*. There is zero shade. It's not a ride I would take a beginner or a low-intermediate rider onto.

OTOH, the scenery is mind blowing.

Awesome!

THANKS!
Old 04-13-18, 06:28 PM
K R

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Reno, 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
River City Bicycles in Portland Rents bikes - Looks like they might be a slightly cheaper than what you found.