Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 11-04-18, 12:34 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
1998/99 Voodoo Hoodoo.
You my have invent the worlds first truely theft-proof bike!

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 01-08-19, 07:55 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've missed this thread since it's been dormant for a few months.
bark_eater , I really like your Bridgestone . Nicely done.

Last edited by cooperryder; 01-09-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 03:43 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
Thanks. I'm still tinkering and trying to get the fit right. I got abot 40 miles on it last week, 1/2 hauling a kid trailer. A Brooks C19 will go on next week, and a new bottom bracket and crank set will hopefull fix the heavy chainring wobble when i get a chance to swap them out.
Old 01-09-19, 08:45 AM
cooperryder

Thanks. I'm still tinkering and trying to get the fit right. I got abot 40 miles on it last week, 1/2 hauling a kid trailer. A Brooks C19 will go on next week, and a new bottom bracket and crank set will hopefull fix the heavy chainring wobble when i get a chance to swap them out.
Just a few thoughts below that come to mind for things I that I would look at if I had that wobble issue:

Perhaps others can give input on possible chain / crank wobble causes and fixes.

My first thought if you haven't done so already is to check to see if either of the crank bolts has loosened.

I periodically check both sides crank bolts.
A couple times B4 I gave attention to this I had the non drive side crank arm fall off mid ride.

Also it's worth checking chain length and the condition of the chain.

​​​​​​Bottom brackets can wear out too although I haven't had any trouble with the sealed Shimano UN 55's I use on most all my bikes.

With the older non sealed types I have had a loose non drive side lock ring loosen and cause a severe wobble.

Also I had a crank with a bent chainring cause a wobble B4. I was able to remove it and hammer on it against a hard flat surface to straighten it.

I once saw a rear hub lock nut loosen and cause a wobble as well.

If you don't do your own wrenching or if you do and it remains unsolved you might take it in to a good bike shop with known good mechanics and let them take a look.

Safe riding.

Last edited by cooperryder; 01-09-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 08:54 AM
cooperryder

I have been thoroughly enjoying riding my Trek 950.

It's one of those builds that every time I hop on it and ride a ways I just think, "Dang! This is one great riding bike!."

Fit and everything else just came together for my type of riding to make this one of my favorites.

The Compass/ Rene Herse Rat Traps contribute to the enjoyment in my view.

Here's a fairly recent pic I took along a trail when this yellow leaf tree caught my eye and I stopped and used it for background.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-09-19, 09:02 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
For what it's worth - I just finished converting mine BACK to upright bars. I tried to use drop bars but found it to not be a good match to the bike's purpose. Switching back to the upright bars has returned the bike to service as something I'd like to ride.
Old 01-09-19, 09:06 AM
cooperryder

I forgot to mention I have a friend with the Bridgestone CB-0
that really likes it a lot and has loaded it up with racks and panniers and done a few tours on it.
Old 01-09-19, 10:14 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
I have been thoroughly enjoying riding my Trek 950 ...

@cooperryder, I like that one quite a lot. Nicely done.

Like what you've done on the front end, with the stem and bars. Tasteful, functional, probably more comfortable than most anything else out there.

Do you happen to have a parts list for what you chose, on that build? (EDIT: Just saw the earlier post.)
Old 01-09-19, 12:32 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
@cooperryder, I like that one quite a lot. Nicely done.

Like what you've done on the front end, with the stem and bars. Tasteful, functional, probably more comfortable than most anything else out there.

Do you happen to have a parts list for what you chose, on that build? (EDIT: Just saw the earlier post.)
Thanks Clyde.

I do have a mostly complete list of parts I have on the Trek 950.

Cockpit:
Handlebars: Sunlite North Road alloy
They also offer a bit cheaper steel alloy model.

Thumbshifters are Sunrace ,
8 speed right, and friction on the left.

Stem Adaptor: 1" Quill, this one:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/SpeedPark-260mm-Stem-Insert-Conversion-Adaptor-for-22-2mm-Fork-to-28-6mm-Silver/112281777424?hash=item1a2483f510:g: iVcAAOSwnHZYiE0b

Stem: Origin8 for 25.4 handlebars
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Origin-8-Pro-...sAAOSwcj1aHCkr

Grips:
Asti Natural Cork Foam Bicycle Grips

Bell: Spurcycle Bell (Raw finish) I highly recommend when you want to splurge. Super cool high quality bell and sound.

Saddle: xlc or origin8 brand comfort bicycle saddle in brown are about $25. It's close to size of a Brooks B17. I have several and they work for me as I can't afford a Brooks on every bike.

Canti brakes:
Tektro 720's with Koolstop pads
Brake Levers: Tektro
similar to their FL540 brake levers but all silver. Riv Bike carries them or did carry them.

Drivetrain:
Derailers:
Front Shimano Deore FD-MT60
Rear Shimano Deore LX RD-M581

Crank: Shimano XT triple FC-M730

Wheels: Deore hubs on Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
Tires: Compass/Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass

Pedals: Platform I find on eBay for about $30.

When I look around my local shop about the least expensive hybrid or city type bike I've seen is about $450 and up.

I know upgrading parts on a build can add up but if one takes their time and shops frugally you can build up a decent quality vintage mt bike
for way under $450 I think.
Some of the builds on this thread are probably considerably under $450.

The $150 to $175 I invested in my wheelset and $120 or so in tires drives the cost of mine up.

I haven't seen any modern bikes at that price point I would rather have than my 950.

Of course I have a strong preference for vintage bikes.

Safe riding.

Last edited by cooperryder; 01-09-19 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-13-19, 11:16 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
MTB with upright bars is the perfect combination

So many great bikes here! Would post pictures of my 1984 Mt. Whitney but the forum won't let me yet.
Old 01-14-19, 08:43 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
^^ BicycleS,

Welcome to BF! Once your count is up to 10 you should. It would be great to see a Ross MT. upright.
Old 01-14-19, 09:03 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
So many great bikes here! Would post pictures of my 1984 Mt. Whitney but the forum won't let me yet.
Yes, I 2nd the welcome and look forward to seeing pics of your Mt Whitney soon.
Old 01-22-19, 11:14 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

1984 Mt. Whitney

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Yes, I 2nd the welcome and look forward to seeing pics of your Mt Whitney soon.
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
^^ BicycleS,

Welcome to BF! Once your count is up to 10 you should. It would be great to see a Ross MT. upright.
Thanks guys! Finally got it up to 10, so here it is!
I've kept most of the components stock on this because it came with such great bits! The handlebars are scrambler bars for a small motorcycle. It's just the right amount of upright for me, and is also still great on the pump track or out on a mellow trail. I clearly don't have to tell any of you this, but the geometry of the early 80's mountain bikes is just so great for riding upright! I've got a similar build in the works right now but it will have sweepback bars for my commute to work.

Frame and stays: Ishiwata double butted MTB chromoly
Fork: Tang Champion chromo
Front derailleur: Shimano deer head
Rear derailleur: Shimano deer head
Hubs: Shimano HB-MN72 High flange, part of deer head group (DH)
Cranks: Tourney XT 175mm with 50,36,24 chain rings
Brakes: Shimano Canti BR-MC70 (DH)
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M700
Thumb Shifters: Shimano SL-M700
Wheels: Araya 7x Black anno
Headset: Ross Professional
Stem: Kalloy 21.1mm double clamp 7/8"
Saddle: Brooks B67
Grips: Oury
Rando rack: Nitto M12 Front Rack

Last edited by BicycleSafari; 01-25-19 at 08:30 PM.
Likes For BicycleSafari:
Old 01-22-19, 11:56 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Originally Posted by Chukbacca
I'm a little curious how you all choose your handlebars (short of having a fleet of bikes to swap from ). I absolutely prefer a more upright ride; I slapped cheap beach cruiser bars on my beater Motive Duet tandem, which has done the job but is ugly as sin. I tried ordering a set of handlebars once and while they weren't horrible, they were not what I wanted. I'm a bigger guy, I think I'd prefer a wider bar that curled around just a bit. Does anyone feel like sharing their experience and of give me some insight?

Thanks a bunch!
Bars are really tricky because there are so many elements of personal preference. Here is a breakdown of how I look for bars.
First I look at the width. If I am building a city bike or commuter of sorts I like my handle bars to be just a little wider than my shoulders, maybe 1-2 inches past my shoulders on each side. (or based on whatever happens to be the widest part of my body)
Next I consider my sweep back angle. Wrist position is very personal. The Velo orange Left Bank handle bar is a great example of a nice wrist angle that isn't too extreme in or out.
Rise is my next consideration. If you find a bar that is the right width and right wrist angle but lower than desired rise, you can always work to compensate for that with the right quill stem. It's reasonable to expect to find a bar that has a 2-4inch rise in it.

Whenever I'm in a bike shop I'll pull sets of handlebars off the shelves so I can grab onto them and get a general sense of what they feel like. Even picking up stuff you know you wouldn't use helps give you direction about what sorts of elements you don't like.

Anyway, nothing to live by here, just what I happen to do when I'm looking for bars. Hope it can help!
Old 01-25-19, 08:39 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
@BicycleSafari Those tires set the chrome off nicely. What brand?
Old 01-25-19, 09:43 PM
jpaschall

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks guys! Finally got it up to 10, so here it is!
I've kept most of the components stock on this because it came with such great bits! The handlebars are scrambler bars for a small motorcycle. It's just the right amount of upright for me, and is also still great on the pump track or out on a mellow trail. I clearly don't have to tell any of you this, but the geometry of the early 80's mountain bikes is just so great for riding upright! I've got a similar build in the works right now but it will have sweepback bars for my commute to work.

Frame and stays: Ishiwata double butted MTB chromoly
Fork: Tang Champion chromo
Front derailleur: Shimano deer head
Rear derailleur: Shimano deer head
Hubs: Shimano HB-MN72 High flange, part of deer head group (DH)
Cranks: Tourney XT 175mm with 50,36,24 chain rings
Brakes: Shimano Canti BR-MC70 (DH)
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M700
Thumb Shifters: Shimano SL-M700
Wheels: Araya 7x Black anno
Headset: Ross Professional
Stem: Kalloy 21.1mm double clamp 7/8"
Saddle: Brooks B67
Grips: Oury
Rando rack: Nitto M12 Front Rack

SO sick.
Old 01-26-19, 12:32 AM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
@BicycleSafari Those tires set the chrome off nicely. What brand?
They're made by Innova (57-559) 26x2.125 the pattern designation is IA-2704. They're pretty standard beach cruiser tires. I got mine at a bike swap, and haven't had any luck finding another set since. They're a hard color to find because it's a darker brown. There are a lot of "clay" brown 26" tires out there but they have a lot more of a red tint to them compared to these darker ones. I know Continental makes a cruiser tire that is a similar brown to this, the only downside for me was that they have a reflective strip that runs through the middle of the side wall of the tire, and my vanity about the look of this build wouldn't allow me to compromise AND be safer on the road at the same time. Just makes too much sense.
They are super sturdy tires, they absolutely max out the clearance for this frame, and they handle pavement and gravel just fine. I have considered trying out the Maxxis DTH tires for this bike, even though the idea of letting go of the color scheme is hard. Would definitely be into hearing anybody else's experience with their favorite tires.

Originally Posted by jpaschall
SO sick.
Thanks man! It's the best bike I've ever ridden. It lives in my den when it's not thrashing about with me.
Old 01-26-19, 10:49 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
My Burning Man Bike
Old 02-04-19, 11:31 AM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
New build for me - Schwinn High Sierra. 1.75 Paselas, Velo Orange Tourist bars and a good helping of shellac. I'm very impressed with the overall quality even knowing the High Sierra was a higher-end MTB back in the day. First ride ended up being a 40mi loop - it's goooood.

The 4130 frame is light, sealed bearing high flange hubs roll like butter and I like the roller cam brakes so far.

Likes For roughrider504:
Old 02-04-19, 01:27 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by roughrider504
New build for me - Schwinn High Sierra. 1.75 Paselas, Velo Orange Tourist bars and a good helping of shellac. I'm very impressed with the overall quality even knowing the High Sierra was a higher-end MTB back in the day. First ride ended up being a 40mi loop - it's goooood.

The 4130 frame is light, sealed bearing high flange hubs roll like butter and I like the roller cam brakes so far.

I really like your Sierra.

Cockpit looks super.

I should try some tape on one of mine .

I hope you enjoy many fun miles on it.
Old 02-04-19, 01:33 PM
cooperryder

That turned out so nice!

I love chrome bikes.
Old 02-04-19, 01:37 PM
cooperryder

I finished up a project myself last week ,a 1990 Trek 7000.

I stripped the paint some time back and finally got around to repainting and rebuilding it.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 02-04-19, 02:44 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

My '96 Trek 930 was the first bike I bought as a "grown-up". It's different now, and I have had a number of fancier bikes, but I am fond of it for a lot of reasons. Tires shown here are Big Apples x3.
Old 02-04-19, 03:21 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Also, the High Sierra and cooperryder's copper Trek above are sweet!
Old 02-04-19, 04:17 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504

That's how you do it! And, additional rollercam style points. Nice build!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.