Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

HHH 100/Hottern Hell 100 Start Chutes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:03 PM
tejen2525

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

Question for those who have done the HHH 100

1. How strict are they in enforcing what chute yo line up in. i.e could someone assigned to chute 4, roll up and line up with the people in chute 2?
2. when the gun goes off at 7:05, how long doe sit typical take the back of the line for the 100 miler to reach and clear the start line?

Thanks
Old 03-25-19, 02:15 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I rode it a number of years ago (10?) and from that experience,

1) They don't have to be strict -- there are SO MANY PEOPLE that you can't snake your way anywhere. And honestly, if you're a slower rider, stay in your wave, otherwise it creates a ripple effect to the thousands of riders behind you. The cannon (not a gun) goes of at 7:05. The site isn't kidding saying people line up as early as 4. Plan on being out there around 6 at the latest. Yes it's a lot of waiting, but it's also eleven thousand people.

2) From what I remember, it was a few minutes. If you think you're going to miss the 100mi cutoff that closely, you have from now until Aug to train (in other words, if you think you're going to cut it that close, you might re-evaluate your goals).

I trust some folks who've ridden it more recently will chime in, but that's what I remember...
Old 03-25-19, 08:21 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
You chose which one you start in. No one checks. I would guess it could take 10 minutes to get to the start line.
Old 03-28-19, 11:35 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I rode it three times about 8-10 years ago. So things may have changed.
I started in the "Hell's Gates Hopefuls", the last of the 100-mile rider groups.
It took about 30 minutes each time to get to the starting line.
At that time a chip timer was optional, and I got one the last two times I rode- and I think it starts at the starting iine, so that time you spend waiting isn't factored in. Of course, once you start, you're in the middle of a giant traffic jam for 20 miles.
The third time, I was on a faster bike, and spend the first 20 miles passing everyone.
I don't know how strict they were at enforcing that you were starting with your proper group, but your selection of a group was purely on the honor system.
That said, if you want to ride extra fast, go the day before or day after where you don't have the crowds to deal with.
Based on those three rides- the peak heat was earlier in the summer and it was already cooling off by HH100. So I was able to make Hells Gate okay on my Worksman cruiser the first two years, finished in about 9-1/2 hours plus the 1/2 hour to get to the start line.
Old 03-29-19, 03:40 PM
British

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it last year We were in the "hopefuls" group (the slowest of the 100 milers.) I'd say it was at least 15 minutes from THE start to OUR start.

We could have moved up, I suppose, but then we'd just be getting passed constantly (and very closely) by faster riders. The groups are set up that way for a reason.

It was close, but we did make the cutoff!