Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

The Filthy Beast...

Old 07-19-19, 08:05 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
The Filthy Beast...

Kidz:

I have to share a few pictures of the laughably filthy and ugly 12-speed road bike I was given today.

It was classic AllPro 12-speed racer bought from K-Mart from the early 1980s.
Some of the K-Mart AllPro bikes, according to this Bike Forums, were made specially for Kresges by Chiorda, so I figured that it was worth rescuing in spite of its first impression.

My wife and I had a good laugh at possibly the dirtiest bike we have ever seen, and we have seen a lot of bikes. Believe it or not, it was stored indoors for at least the past 25 years. Needless to say, the guy is not married and he lives alone in a house that looks like a bomb went off in it. My wife insisted that it was not even coming into the garage.

Luckily for me, the bike was merely filthy, and the muck on it all washed off in the driveway with a brush and some soap and water.
Before and after pics attached.
It took a couple of hours to make it over but it has good bones, decent French Rigida wheels, alloy Shimano Altus changers, Arai alloy centre-pull brakes, and Sugino alloy cranks. The tires are tired but they still hold air.

It only took a couple of hours but I enjoyed bringing it back from the brink. Sprockets and chain indicate that it was either well lubed, or barely used.
It got washed, new bar tape, brake and derailleur cable housings and cables, a saddle out of the used parts bin, ... and I took it for a ride.

Not bad. Everything works and the positions of the seat post and handlebar quill adjust easily.
Tomorrow it gets new brake pads, fresh grease in the wheel, crank and headset bearings.

Binky

Likes For Binky:
Old 07-19-19, 08:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
When I got to the last two pics, I genuinely went wide-eyed. That first pic looks like a bike the police divers pulled out of the river.

I have nothing regarding it's value to report. I have no idea. But I would reckon worth more than when you picked it up, at least.
Old 07-19-19, 08:34 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Do you have both gold dust caps in good shape there worth about $15 on ebay, Other wise nicely cleaned up ready $100 it ha s gotten to the point in the current weak market most of the CV guys here including me are passing on nearly everything including free stuff.
Old 07-19-19, 09:57 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
There is no way in the world I would have believed you could get that bike in the shape you did. It looked like it was pulled from a septic tank. Good Job!
Old 07-20-19, 05:37 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Do you have both gold dust caps in good shape there worth about $15 on ebay, Other wise nicely cleaned up ready $100 it ha s gotten to the point in the current weak market most of the CV guys here including me are passing on nearly everything including free stuff.

Both Sugino caps in place.
In good shape.

Bink
Old 07-20-19, 05:39 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
There is no way in the world I would have believed you could get that bike in the shape you did. It looked like it was pulled from a septic tank. Good Job!
The crap on it was water-soluable dust and grime. Washed right off with soap, water & soft paint-brush.!!

B
Old 07-20-19, 08:26 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I will take all of the low-end department-store racers I can get... usually for free or for $15 or less.
I have boxes of spares to use up... and some of these old clunkers are better built than the new Chinese entry-level Walmart stuff.
Here in Canada we get bikes from Eatons, Simpsons-Sears, Canadian Tire, Zellers, Kresges, and other department store that were made by Beekay, Carlton and Raleigh in England, Tano & Bridgestone in Japan, and, because of distribution throughProCycle, we get some CCM bikes built with Reynolds 531 tubing and some CCM bikes built by Peugeot in France.

As a retired millwright / machinist I just enjoy fixing them up.

Bink.
Old 07-20-19, 05:19 PM
Pro11yN0taZeus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The orange one

the geometry of the orange one is beautiful!
Old 07-20-19, 06:39 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Fantastic job on all of these bikes! It sure can be rewarding to clean up an old dog and find something pretty nice underneath. I think that is one of the reasons that we enjoy this amusing hobby of restoring or rebuilding.
Old 07-22-19, 05:47 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Excellent work. It is definitely rewarding to get these old bikes back on the road. Great stuff!
Old 07-22-19, 11:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Great cleanup; just exhibits the quality in some of those ancient steeds. I've only got a couple, one motorized, but ride them a lot.