Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

"lower" level hybrid-will I be disappointed?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 10:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts

Well, since I can't get it deleted, guess I'd better put something in here. I was looking at a Fuji Absolute 1.9 hybrid. It has a Tourney front der and an Acera rear der. I like the bike, but coming from a road bike with Tiagra front and 105 rear, think I might be disappointed in the long run. I'm sure I have a new, 8 spd. LX der (for a mtn.bike) that I think would work, but don't have a front der. I don't expect it to work as well as my road bike, and so long as it isn't awful, I'd be OK with it. Been looking for used, but haven't seen much and won't buy a bike I don't see first. Don't want to spend a lot-not sure how much I'll use it. Opinions?

Last edited by freeranger; 07-29-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 08:31 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
As long as the frame fits you and the wheels are half decent, you should be all right. You can always upgrade the components when the OEM ones wear out.
Old 07-29-19, 10:37 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
My geared bikes either have 105's or Deore (at minimum).

My latest bike (Indie 3) came with a Tourney FD and Acera RD. I got a VG deal on the bike. One I couldn't refuse and perfect for beating around the neighbourhood.
The stuff works OK. The FD makes a bit of noise and not crisp shifting but I plan on swapping them out in the future.
Old 07-29-19, 10:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You will be disappointed for a decade waiting for something to go wrong so you have an excuse to get something more expensive
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-29-19, 10:46 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Well, since I can't get it deleted, guess I'd better put something in here. I was looking at a Fuji Absolute 1.9 hybrid. It has a Tourney front der and an Acera rear der. I like the bike, but coming from a road bike with Tiagra front and 105 rear, think I might be disappointed in the long run. I'm sure I have a new, 8 spd. LX der (for a mtn.bike) that I think would work, but don't have a front der. I don't expect it to work as well as my road bike, and so long as it isn't awful, I'd be OK with it. Been looking for used, but haven't seen much and won't buy a bike I don't see first. Don't want to spend a lot-not sure how much I'll use it. Opinions?
What do you want to use it for?

If you need a slower bike to putz around the neighborhood with the kids at low speeds it'll be great.

If you want to go a 500 mile tour on it, the clunkier gearing will probably get on your nerves if you're used to higher end Shimano parts.

It's just going to be one of those 'it'll be fine for X but awful for Y' situations.
Old 07-29-19, 03:11 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I ride with people with all levels of speed and capabilities. The Lemond road bike likes to go-and it's more difficult for me to go slower on it, when the group with which I'm riding is a slower group. Plus, the Lemond is just plain fun to ride faster, and makes me want to go faster riding it. Basically looking for something I'd enjoy riding slower, but not so slow has my heavy mtn.bike with suspension and fatter, low pressure tires. The mtn.bike is not comfy for longer road rides--I tried it with diff tires and the geometry just doesn't work for me, except in the woods.
Old 07-30-19, 01:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check around for a good used 1980s-'90s "mountain bike" -- those older rigid fork bikes were closer to what's now lumped into the hybrid genre.

My '92 Univega Via Carisma came with a Shimano Exage 500 CX group that's virtually identical to the Deore group of that same era. I have both the Exage 500 CX and Deore LX long cage RDs. One is labeled RD-M500, the other RD-M550. There are negligible cosmetic differences. Same with the Exage/Deore front derailleurs.

Depending on your local market you might luck into a really nice group on a chromoly frame/fork bike for $200 or less.

BTW, I have the same preference for casual group or solo rides. If I'm on my road bikes I'll turn every ride into a workout. But if I'm on my Univega I'm more relaxed, sit upright and enjoy the view without turning it into another attempt at Strava PRs. I even switched from flat to albatross bars to make it even more pleasant to ride casually.
Old 07-30-19, 11:11 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I ride with people with all levels of speed and capabilities. The Lemond road bike likes to go-and it's more difficult for me to go slower on it, when the group with which I'm riding is a slower group. Plus, the Lemond is just plain fun to ride faster, and makes me want to go faster riding it. Basically looking for something I'd enjoy riding slower, but not so slow has my heavy mtn.bike with suspension and fatter, low pressure tires. The mtn.bike is not comfy for longer road rides--I tried it with diff tires and the geometry just doesn't work for me, except in the woods.
Then yes.

The lower end hybrid will work fine for your needs.

If you are an experienced rider with built up leg power already, you'll be able to go all day on the hybrid. And you'll probably feel like you are barely putting out the effort if you are riding with a slower group. But you won't tip over because you are barely turning the cranks like you would on a road bike trying to stay balanced at 7mph.
Old 07-30-19, 12:43 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
The only thing I'd swap out is the cassette for an 8 speed 13-26.
Old 08-01-19, 08:08 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
For your uses, that Fuji is a nice option. Ride it, and if it fits and feels good, run with it.

I've got a 2013 Absolute 2.1 with Alivo RD and Altus FD, and it's been bulletproof and smooth.