Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Pizza Port 70 revival

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 06:47 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Wait, you're starting a DC at 0800 and hope to finish before dark? You know sunset is at 6:47 on Saturday?
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
He just needs to not stop ever, average 22mph for nine straight hours, and it's in the bag.

I would guess started at 8am, that ride would end around 11pm? Give or take?
I was joking guys and @TrojanHorse knows .

We are starting at 4 AM. The Grand Tour took me a bit over 15 hours total time. I don't mind riding at night but I want to minimize it as much as possible hence the 4 AM start. I'll have good lights with me.
Old 09-17-18, 09:14 PM
tunavic

Originally Posted by jsigone
does someone have a live tracker they can add me to day of? Otherwise I'll meet you at the look out point South of when Laguna is nasty or between Dana Point.
I can add you to my wahoo tracker as well
I'll add you to my Strava beacon and you'll be able to see our entire pub crawl towards your direction

Last edited by tunavic; 09-17-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 10:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
I was joking guys and @TrojanHorse knows .

We are starting at 4 AM. The Grand Tour took me a bit over 15 hours total time. I don't mind riding at night but I want to minimize it as much as possible hence the 4 AM start. I'll have good lights with me.
Yeah, I ain't riding no double. I'm only half crazy, not full crazy. Still, done riding a century before noon has a certain appeal.

I'll add you to my Strava beacon and you'll be able to see our entire pub crawl towards your direction
I can do it, I've always wanted to see how that works! I'll PM jsigone later.
Old 09-18-18, 10:07 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
We're starting at 8 am, right?
Are we back to the topic of ride to Pizza Port? At first I was confused that @tunavic would be starting his double at 8AM.

I've invited a friend from ALC (no not the one who failed to bring a flat kit and tubes...ha ha ha) because I'm not as fast as the rest of you and would be nice to have someone to ride sort of with. LOL
Old 09-18-18, 11:01 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

No, we briefly went sideways into Vic's private lunacy.

All the pertinent info for the PP70 is up on the first post. We'll hit the road promptly at 8 for PP. Unfortunately, Vic's lunatic ride is starting at 4 am and I agreed to ride the first half. Ugh.

The more the merrier!
Old 09-18-18, 11:05 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I can do it, I've always wanted to see how that works! I'll PM jsigone later.
I'll add you to my wahoo tracker. it will email you a link to follow.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-18-18, 11:21 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by jsigone
I'll add you to my wahoo tracker. it will email you a link to follow.
Oh damn, I forgot you have a wahoo. The newer garmins have some built-in buddy tracking thing that I wanted to try out and Vic is too cheap to buy a new garmin for me to test it.

I ride with my phone on a stem mount, so I can see it / hear it. You can always call when you think we're getting close.
Old 09-18-18, 11:26 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Yah i wanted the new garmin but the wahoo was literally half the price. It does a pretty good job
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-18-18, 11:56 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I do like the 520 and it was only $210 on sale... and they announced the 520+ about 10 seconds after I unwrapped the 520, damn them!
Old 09-18-18, 09:47 PM
tunavic

Why don't you both just do the Strava beacon thing and be done with it. And if Jeff's Wahoo doesn't do Strava beacon, you can use Garmin Live Track through the Connect mobile app.
Old 09-19-18, 01:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Why don't you both just do the Strava beacon thing and be done with it. And if Jeff's Wahoo doesn't do Strava beacon, you can use Garmin Live Track through the Connect mobile app.
Strava beacon... garmin connect sends an email when you start your ride with a link to the beacon, no? then you have to click on the link and follow?

Road ID also has a live tracker, not sure what's more useful.
Old 09-19-18, 04:05 PM
tunavic

Enable Strava beacon on the Garmin Connect mobile app (do the same on the Strava mobile app too) and then Strava beacon sends a link to a mobile phone # every time you start a ride on your Garmin Edge - you have to be a Strava Summit member to have this feature.

Simply choose who you want the link sent to and it will save this information.

Last edited by tunavic; 09-19-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 12:52 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Updates on Camp Pendleton:

TLDR version - We should still be good on the PP70. On Sept 30 we are good on the base to Las Pulgas - have to take the 5 to Harbor in O'side (as we were planning to do). HOWEVER, if anyone was hoping to ride the base as an alternate to the 5, that option is NLA. Stuart Mesa Rd will be closed:

More Camp Pendelton Bike Route Closures:

Even if you HAVE your USMC issued Bike Pass to ride on Camp Pendleton, there are closures to all cyclists in the next few weeks.

In addition to military actions closing the Old Highway 101 bike path on September 24 - 28 & October 1st - 5th that will require detour onto teh freeway shoulder, it has now been announced that:
"Due to military [or construction?] operations, a portion of Stuart Mesa Road will be closed [ This is part of the Bike Route between Las Pulgas & Vandergrift ] on the following dates:

Monday, September 24 to Thursday, October 4
Friday, October 12 to Monday, October 15

During the closure dates above, Stuart Mesa will be inaccessible north/south to/from Las Pulgas. [Vehicle] Transit north/south on Camp Pendleton will be via Basilone Road. Stuart Mesa can be used to access 41 Area from Las Pulgas Road.
No cycling is allowed on Basilone Road, cyclists will be unable to ride through [ this part of ] Camp Pendleton
[ regardless of holding a base issued Bike Pass ].

Bicyclists may ride on the I-5 shoulder during the indicated days of the Stuart Mesa Road closure [ between Las Pulgas and Harbor - as at all times to get across the base]."

Notice sent 9/18 by:

Vanessa De La Rosa
Transportation Planner
Multi-Modal Programs Branch
Caltrans District 11 Planning
4050 Taylor Street, MS-240
San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 688-4289

https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/…/Base…/101Closure_Map.jpg

This ADDITION to the closures of the Old Highway 101 path between San Onofre State Beach and Las Pulgas on September 24 - 28 & October 1st - 5th when cyclists will be TEMPORARILY allowed to detour on the freeway from BASILONE - North of San Onofree to Las Pulgas mixes up the detour otions;

September 24-28 the detour is the FREEWAY SHOULDER (take all off ramps & get back on) SB from Basilone to Harbor.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28646281
or NB Harbor to Basilone:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28646313

September 29 & 30th you can ride to Las Pulgas & FREEWAY SHOULDER from Las Pulgas to Harbor.

October 1 to 4 the detour is the FREEWAY SHOULDER (take all off ramps & get back on) SB from Basilone to Harbor.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28646281
or NB Harbor to Basilone:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28646313

October 5th the detour is the FREEWAY SHOULDER (take all off ramps & get back on) SB from Basilone to Las Pulgas.

October 12 to 15 the detour is the FREEWAY SHOULDER (take all off ramps & get back on) from Las Pulgas to Harbor.
Old 09-23-18, 01:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

D-7, everybody still in? Route posted on the original post (which will feature riding on an interstate, woo hoo! Traffic is likely to be moving fairly slowly by the time we get there, < 40 mph)

IMO, plan A should be to shoot for the 4:16 return train and then do a little ride back to ARTIC, which leaves the 6:51 OC train as an ultimate back up just in case.

From Dr. Tope above:
For the OC Line,
Train 665 departs Oceanside @ 1:24pm, arrives Anaheim 2:39pm
Train 667 departs Oceanside @ 5:36pm, arrives Anaheim 6:51pm

For the Inland Line,
Train 858 departs Oceanside @ 2:51pm, arrives Anaheim Canyon 4:16pm
Train 860 departs Oceanside @ 4:28pm, arrives Anaheim Canyon 5:42pm
Old 09-23-18, 05:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The wife and I will both be in attendance. She is saving me from myself, as I would almost certainly have ridden from home, making for another 130+ mile day. This will be much more relaxing, as I'll get to go her pace... and won't have to leave the house at 4:45 in the morning.
Old 09-23-18, 06:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I was kind of hoping you'd ride from home if only for the relaxed pace part... Ha ha. I'm glad Mrs Doc is joining us, should be fun. I think @tunavic is going to ride down from the riverside metrolink station and meet us at ARTIC, so we'll have at least one nutter on the ride.
Old 09-23-18, 09:51 PM
jimincalif

I’m still in. Note the 858 train arrives in Orange at 4:07, and the Orange station is less than 1/2 the distance back to ARTIC as compared to Anaheim Canyon.
Old 09-24-18, 11:56 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

It remains to be seen if we can actually MAKE the train at 2:51 but 4:28 should be eminently doable. I would prefer not to be in Oceanside at 5:36, personally.
Old 09-24-18, 02:05 PM
tunavic

The #858 train is perfect for me as well. See you all on Sunday
Old 09-26-18, 02:50 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I'm a bit nervous for the ride not having ridden but one ride in the last few months. I have MRI scheduled on my shoulder tomorrow (possible rotator cuff issue based on in office assessment with ortho doc on Monday). Last time I rode I was in agony mid ride about mile 25-30 and beyond. But I want to ride....

I have @TrojanHorse phone number so can text if I have bailed out so nobody is waiting on me at ARTIC. It is more tempting to ride since Mrs. Doc is coming along. I need to check with my friend who I invited too. I know I will be pokey slow and if I ride I'm sorry in advance.

NOTE TO SELF...put knee scooter in car so can give back to @TrojanHorse finally!

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 09-26-18 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 09-26-18, 03:21 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I'm a bit nervous for the ride not having ridden but one ride in the last few months. I have MRI scheduled on my shoulder tomorrow (possible rotator cuff issue based on in office assessment with ortho doc on Monday). Last time I rode I was in agony mid ride about mile 25-30 and beyond. But I want to ride....
Good luck with the shoulder. There is the 663 train from San Clemente at 11:50 if you need to bail out. And you'd still get a ride in.
Old 09-26-18, 04:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05

I have @TrojanHorse phone number so can text if I have bailed out so nobody is waiting on me at ARTIC. It is more tempting to ride since Mrs. Doc is coming along. I need to check with my friend who I invited too. I know I will be pokey slow and if I ride I'm sorry in advance.

NOTE TO SELF...put knee scooter in car so can give back to @TrojanHorse finally!
Good luck with the shoulder! I separated my AC joint 2 years ago in a crash and rode 25 miles back to my car with blood running down my side. Apparently that's perfectly normal - nobody said a thing. I couldn't lift a penny with that arm but I could push down just fine... go figure.

Feel free to do the San Clemente early bail option if you need to. There's even a Pizza Port about a mile from that train station.
Old 09-26-18, 04:25 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Good luck with the shoulder! I separated my AC joint 2 years ago in a crash and rode 25 miles back to my car with blood running down my side. Apparently that's perfectly normal - nobody said a thing. I couldn't lift a penny with that arm but I could push down just fine... go figure.

Feel free to do the San Clemente early bail option if you need to. There's even a Pizza Port about a mile from that train station.
Thanks - my hubby is out of town as of Sat AM so I have the freedom to ride and be gone all day. I hate to miss out on pizza port with the gang in Carlsbad. But it is nice to figure I might have options.
Old 09-26-18, 05:32 PM
tunavic

Indeed @Beachgrad55 take care of the shoulder but really consider the bail out option Jim has mentioned and at least get some riding done.

You had asked me to tell you about the beach cities ride after I was done.

It was fun, a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I had the company of friends which always makes for an enjoyable ride and the weather couldn't have been any nicer. The SAG stops were good and staffed by enthusiastic volunteers who are riders themselves. Most had done the staff ride the weekend before us.

After we were done with Laguna Canyon Rd and turned north towards Long Beach is when the wind held us back and slowed us up. It wasn't blowing hard but hard enough to make a difference and it never stopped till we were headed back south by which time it was no longer blowing

There were a lot of traffic lights but nothing too bad. I would do the ride again.
Old 09-26-18, 05:47 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Indeed @Beachgrad55 take care of the shoulder but really consider the bail out option Jim has mentioned and at least get some riding done.

You had asked me to tell you about the beach cities ride after I was done.

It was fun, a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I had the company of friends which always makes for an enjoyable ride and the weather couldn't have been any nicer. The SAG stops were good and staffed by enthusiastic volunteers who are riders themselves. Most had done the staff ride the weekend before us.

After we were done with Laguna Canyon Rd and turned north towards Long Beach is when the wind held us back and slowed us up. It wasn't blowing hard but hard enough to make a difference and it never stopped till we were headed back south by which time it was no longer blowing

There were a lot of traffic lights but nothing too bad. I would do the ride again.
Thanks for feedback on how the ride was. I will hopefully keep the ride on my radar for next year

I may consider in future the shorter century LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.