Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

A small electric boost for my bike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 05-31-19, 04:18 AM
SuperBarry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

The other day I saw this video: youtu.be/zySO8uhwvi4
In this video an electric front wheel is attached to a bike in minutes, and powers the bike with up to 15mph speed.

Now, this thing doesn't look very official, is not available at any mayor retailer and definitely does not look waterproof. So I was wondering if there's anything like this that is more legit, or if there's any other way to boost a bike with some electric power without buying a very expensive e-bike. I really don't need 15mph of power, but if I could get a 5 mph boost that would be fantastic.

Best,
Barry
Old 05-31-19, 07:30 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
SBarry, the kits are just as legit as bluetooth speaker you mount on the handlebars. Sometimes the speaker falls off. Othertimes it can't find your source. Batteries run down. When working right, it's great.

If you want the convenience of an all-in-one package that can be easily removed, it will cost more and have more tradeoffs. Battery in the wheel does add weight and makes for a large goofy looking wheel. Electronics in the wheel is exposed to more heat. I prefer just the motor in the wheel. Put the battery and electronics somewhere else. Then you can replace those as separate items without being captive to the original seller, who may disappear.
Old 05-31-19, 09:21 AM
SuperBarry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Can you recommend anything?

Even if it's only a 5mph boost I'm totally happy!

Best
Barry
Old 05-31-19, 12:29 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I've not had any experience with this kit, but if you have a steel front fork and a water bottle fitting, this front drive kit seems easy to install. I would add a hose clamp under the battery to bolster it. The elctronics is in the battery cradle, so that's one less thing to do,
https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/e...dillenger.html

I've had some experience with this kit, but it's more DIY. You have to buy a battery. Then you have to think a bit and install the electronics.
https://www.amazon.com/EBIKELING-Waterproof-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion/dp/B07MG7XK45/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=ebikeling&qid=1559325768&s=gateway&sr=8-9

This was my first ebike conversion in 2015, and I wanted to show you what I mean about the electronics/wiring being a pain in the neck. EVeryone figures it out eventually. I got mine squared away. That is one nice thing about the kit you mentioned, and the Dillinger kit has less of it.

So I had $500 into my ebike back in 2015. 500W motor. 36V battery. WIll run 20 mph, but not for long unless you do some pedaling. At 13 mph, I've done the metric century (62 miles) on one charge on a nice summer day. I would get half of that if it's chilly though. For me, the kit has been reliable, and it is an ebikeling kit.

Now I think I have a nice bike with a kit, because I started with a decent bike (in my opinion anyway) but heck these days the same seller will send me a complete ebike for $899, $399 more than what the first kit cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ebikeling-3...ry!60565!US!-1

Do some reading. Ask around. You can buy am inexpensive ebike, or if handy build a even less expensive one, but the make-buy decision gets tougher. And I have not talked abut the $170 big 1000/1500 watt motor kits which will go close to 30 mph if you have a big enough battery. Those you cannot buy easily as a complete ebike, probably because they're not too legal.
Old 05-31-19, 01:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Minimalist kits from Leeds ebikes (PB&J, < 8 pounds) and Clean Republic (Hilltopper) have been positively reviewed at thie site.
Old 06-13-19, 08:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Check out Onemotor.co. I received mine 2 days ago, still figuring out all the functionality so not quite ready yet to review, but....so far it's amazing. Fast. Removes in seconds, fits inside my mini backpack, installs in seconds. I'll review after I've had it a week or so....here's a pic on my Dahon, though. Mounts in several different options...LIGHT...4.5 lbs total or 6.5 for the bigger battery. Wireless throttle, wireless PAS.
y
This is not a pakit, it's a dahon mu uno with a pakit sticker on it.