Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Bike Value, Help Needed

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 05:56 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I知 selling my touring bike. I see prices for various touring bikes range wildly from $200-2,000. I知 not quite sure where mine falls. It痴 an Advocate Cycles Sand County. The complete bike MSRP was $1,600 equipped with Tiagra components. Frame-set MSRP was $850. I got a frame-set on sale and built it up with 10sp bar-end shifters and Ultegra derailers, modern SLX crank-set, BB7 brakes(185mm front/160mm rear), Tektro levers, carbon seat-post, and an Axiom rear rack. It has a 700c Alexrims wheel-set and a nice, hand built 650b dynamo wheel-set. I知 thinking of just selling it with the 700c wheels. I have a new $70 WTB seat that I知 gonna put on it. Any thoughts on pricing? I was thinking $1,000. Too high? Could I get more?

52cm with good, glossy paint, but with several normal small scratches.
Sand County

Last edited by 3speed; 08-09-19 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 12:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
$100-200 is pretty much a default price for used bikes. Some people will try to strip the frame and sell the parts, but they're not likely to offer more than a couple hundred (so they can make money on the flip). While a bike doesn't exactly depreciate like a car, losing 30% when it drives off the lot, many if not most buyers will knock their offering price down to half of what it costs new. That's reasonable for the buyer; they don't know the bike hasn't been abused, or stolen, and they may not get the new bike warranty, and they won't get the LBS support (assuming it's a decent shop) from the stranger who re-sold the bike. The extra wheel set might sell for extra, depending on who's buying, but you're just as likely to get a "why did this person put on different stuff than the manufacturer spec'd?"

You might get that much for it, if you can find a buyer who wants a bike very much like that and in the same size. You're more likely to sell it at $800, IMHO.
Old 08-09-19, 12:42 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I would say check around and see what used Surly Long Haul Truckers are selling for, and price a bit under that. Unfortunately, you don't have a well-known brand (I had never heard of them, and I'm fairly up on bike brands), so you lose some value from that. Also, it looks like Advocate Cycles is closing/changing their name to Esker Cycles, so that doesn't help, either. I would definitely sell the 650 wheels separately to get maximum value back from them.

A guess to what it would sell for? Probably $750-850. Be sure to load up any ad with good keywords, and compare it to the Surly LHT, Trek 520, and other similar models. Use those as keywords, too.
Old 08-09-19, 03:03 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, start high. You can always lower your price, but you can't raise it. If I were in the market, your $1k asking price would get my attention. Sounds like a quality build.
I say post it for $1k and don't take less than $800 until you've waited a while.
Old 08-09-19, 03:27 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I would say check around and see what used Surly Long Haul Truckers are selling for, and price a bit under that.

Be sure to load up any ad with good keywords, and compare it to the Surly LHT, Trek 520, and other similar models. Use those as keywords, too.
My thought was also basing my pricing loosely on LHT in the area, which are priced around $700. Unfortunately the couple for sale around here right now are both the non-disk model. So basically mine is a little nicer frame, nicer components, and disk brakes. Overall, mine is definitely a nicer bike. But then I don't have the recognized LHT name on the frame. As you said, the fact that it's not a well known brand doesn't help the selling price. Good point on mentioning the LHT and 520 in the ad! I didn't think of that. Thanks!