Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question about non-quick-release seat clamp options

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-13, 07:48 PM
nonlinear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a quick release clamp on my seat, but I'd like to replace it with something that is a little less easy to steal (like a hex wrench or something). Is it possible to buy just a hex bolt to fit my existing clamp, or should I get a new clamp with bolt?

I found one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Eleven81-Alloy...eat+post+clamp), but i'm not sure what size I need. The outside of the frame where the seat post inserts measures 31.9 with a digital caliper (when the current clamp is tightly attached). Would a 31.8 mm clamp work, or do I need to go a size up?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-13, 09:05 PM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I plan on just going down to Ace Hardware with the hardware I want to replace in hand and paw through the bulk hardware bins until I find something that fits.
Old 08-17-13, 09:44 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
What I did was disassemble the quick release bolt from the clamp and reused the clamp with a long allen head bolt and matching nut. Sorry can't help with the sizing.
Old 08-17-13, 10:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
6mm bolt. Get grade 8.
NAPA or similar.
Old 08-18-13, 01:24 PM
sean999

Bikes: '86 or '87 Trek 850 MTB (bought used in 2007); previously: 1999 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In some areas this won't be sufficient security against theft! I used to live in San Francisco, CA, and had my seat post and seat (and attached blinky) stolen, even after I'd replaced the QR clamp with a bolt-on (hex wrench required). This was not in an obviously-sketchy area, either. The LBS folks I chatted with about this all (at several SF shops) said that this was not uncommon (2008 or so, I believe) in SF and other "major" cities.

I ended up getting a product (maker's name escapes me now, but they're well known for other bike stuff) that allows clamp to be opened only when bike is turned upside-down. Later I discovered that Pinhead (was then being sold under a different name -- big bike-lock co., also can't remember that name!!) sold a set of their well-known locking wheel skewers (to replace wheel QR's) that also has a matching locking seat post clamp. My girlfriend bought that 3-piece set, and has been happy with it for past 2 years or so. (I've been happy with Pinhead wheel skewer locks for 4 years or so.)

-Sean

Last edited by sean999; 08-18-13 at 01:33 PM. Reason: want to add more info
Old 08-20-13, 07:04 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I threaded an old bike chain through the posts on my seat and under the bars that support the wheel, then wrapped it with an old tire tube to keep it neat. Haven't had a problem in the four years since I did that.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.