Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Looking for information about Bill & Andy's in Chelmsford, MA

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 07:06 PM
penlu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all! I recently became interested in the history of my bicycle, which is labeled as a Raleigh Triumph but is 10-speed with a sport touring geometry. There's a decal on the down tube that announces that it's from Bill & Andy's, 30 Chelmsford, Chelmsford, MA, which is about 20 miles away. There's not a lot of information about Bill & Andy's online -- I see a record of sale of the building in 2004, a mention of a Bill & Andy's toy store, a mention of a Bill & Andy's Shell station, and a couple of mentions in a couple of obituaries. These few mentions point to a colorful story, but it seems that this ended somewhat pre-internet. So I am posting to ask:
  • Does anyone remember Bill & Andy's? Were they a gas station, a toy store, a bicycle shop, all of the above?
  • Who were Bill and Andy?
  • Is there anyone still around that I could ask about my bicycle? (I've posted in Classic & Vintage about it. Check out my gallery for images.)
Relatedly, I'm thinking of riding out there and asking around in person. 20 miles isn't far, but I'm a total noob, and it'll be my longest ride yet.
Old 04-26-24, 07:39 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 222 Posts
Hi, I live in Chelmsford. I never knew it as Bill & Andy's but that address, 30 Chelmsford St, was a bike shop for many years, Chelmsford Cyclery. They went out of business just before the pandemic bike boom. The building is now pool supplies on one side and ski & snowboard on the other. The back, which faces the Bruce Freeman trail, probably still says Chelmsford Cyclery. This photo is from about a year ago.

That's all I know, I never went inside. By reputation, the owner was a total jerk.
Old 04-30-24, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Hi, I live in Chelmsford. I never knew it as Bill & Andy's but that address, 30 Chelmsford St, was a bike shop for many years, Chelmsford Cyclery. They went out of business just before the pandemic bike boom. The building is now pool supplies on one side and ski & snowboard on the other. The back, which faces the Bruce Freeman trail, probably still says Chelmsford Cyclery. This photo is from about a year ago.

That's all I know, I never went inside. By reputation, the owner was a total jerk.
I went in a cpl times. I think they tweaked something for me. seemed OK. don't remember seeing much merchandise
Old 04-30-24, 11:43 AM
penlu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
I never knew it as Bill & Andy's but that address, 30 Chelmsford St, was a bike shop for many years, Chelmsford Cyclery.
Thanks for the info! Interesting that the cyclery logo is still up there. I presume you haven't been around since 2003 -- or have you, and Bill & Andy's is still before that time?
Old 04-30-24, 01:28 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by penlu
Thanks for the info! Interesting that the cyclery logo is still up there. I presume you haven't been around since 2003 -- or have you, and Bill & Andy's is still before that time?
I've been here since 2001. I suppose the change from B&A to CC is that sale in 2004 you found.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 05-10-24, 09:55 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
My wife grew up in Chelmsford I still have her Dad’s old Raleigh Marathon and her Raleigh 30 MTB is still in the family. Both proudly sport the Bill and Andy’s stickers.

Interesting note about Chelmsford Cyclery , they were one of the few businesses on the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail to elect to NOT have direct access TO the Bruce Freeman rail trail.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP