Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pre-ride safety check--what do you look for?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pre-ride safety check--what do you look for?

Old 12-19-19, 02:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If I'm in one of the downtown areas here is town (the area I try to avoid going to due to the large number of nut cases wandering around) I check my quick-releases on both wheels to make sure some idiot didn't loosen them. I've had two instances where I discovered that the front quick release had been loosened and then close again but it wasn't holding the wheel very snugly = one good bump/pot hole and the wheel might have come off. that's why I avoid that area unless I must go there for business.

Cheers
Old 12-19-19, 04:25 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I don't commute, but now I'm wondering how often people come out in the morning before riding to work, only to find a slow leak did them in overnight.

After my last ride everything seemed fine, but the next day (yesterday) the rear was mostly flat.

I flipped the bike over, got a magnifying glass and flashlight and went over the whole tread and both sidewalls and didn't see anything.

I took out the tube and looked that over, didn't see anything. Pumped the tube and submerged it, didn't see anything. Pumped the tube way up and saw bubbles, finally.

Back to the tire, I ran my fingers all around the inside under the tread, twice -- nothing. Ran fingers along each side wall twice -- nothing. Looked all along the inside with a magnifying glass -- nothing.

Finally, running my fingers in the opposite direction I found the steel wire (from a truck tire?) that had poked in between two tread blocks. (Michelin Protek Cross, inverse tread.) On the outside of the itre, it was laying flat against the base of a block. I guess it was hidden from view as I rolled the tire for inspection? Lesson learned: next time, rotate the tire both directions.

Last edited by rseeker; 12-19-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-19-19, 06:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
I don't commute, but now I'm wondering how often people come out in the morning before riding to work, only to find a slow leak did them in overnight.

After my last ride everything seemed fine, but the next day (yesterday) the rear was mostly flat.

I flipped the bike over, got a magnifying glass and flashlight and went over the whole tread and both sidewalls and didn't see anything.

I took out the tube and looked that over, didn't see anything. Pumped the tube and submerged it, didn't see anything. Pumped the tube way up and saw bubbles, finally.

Back to the tire, I ran my fingers all around the inside under the tread, twice -- nothing. Ran fingers along each side wall twice -- nothing. Looked all along the inside with a magnifying glass -- nothing.

Finally, running my fingers in the opposite direction I found the steel wire (from a truck tire?) that had poked in between two tread blocks. (Michelin Protek Cross, inverse tread.) On the outside of the itre, it was laying flat against the base of a block. I guess it was hidden from view as I rolled the tire for inspection? Lesson learned: next time, rotate the tire both directions.
I too have had a tire go flat after sitting overnight or longer. Fortunately for me it's always been punctured by something that did not stay in the tire. A cotton ball or two can be most useful for finding tiny sharp items in a tire and the cotton ball saves the finger or thumb from being punctured.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-19-19, 06:35 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
In terms of hardcore or traditional safety checks, none.

I simply make sure the tires are the right pressures, lights and computer are charged, and water bottles are full and in their racks.
Old 12-19-19, 09:06 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I keep a cotton ball on my bench for pesky, sneaky flats like this. Run it along the inside and/or outside of the tire and any sharp protrusions will generally snag some of the cotton.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 12-19-19, 09:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I like to look directly ahead of my bike, to make sure there are no farm animals in my path. 🙄😉 At least I plan to start doing that, after a rooster got in my way this morning, while it was still dark out. 😲😁
...that rooster is probably on another online forum right now complaining about the jerk cyclist who almost ran him over in the dark.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-19-19, 09:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...bounce the front wheel, bounce the back wheel, work the brake levers to make sure the quick releases are down, and I'm off. Come back quickly when I remember I forgot my frame pump or my lock.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-19-19, 09:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Yep, I'll usually grab another bike and go, or use the compressor to fill, take my chances, and fix it at work
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-19-19, 10:03 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A cotton ball or two can be most useful for finding tiny sharp items in a tire and the cotton ball saves the finger or thumb from being punctured.
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I keep a cotton ball on my bench for pesky, sneaky flats like this. Run it along the inside and/or outside of the tire and any sharp protrusions will generally snag some of the cotton.
Sounds great, I'll try that. Thank you both.
Old 12-19-19, 10:31 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...that rooster is probably on another online forum right now complaining about the jerk cyclist who almost ran him over in the dark.
This is probably true. 😁 Did I mention, how scary-looking he was, in the dark? 😲😉
Old 12-19-19, 10:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Every time that I ride I make a mental list of anything I want to do or fix before taking that bike out again.
I do that as well.

Then I promptly forget until I'm riding again.
Old 12-20-19, 12:20 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

This is probably true. 😁 Did I mention, how scary-looking he was, in the dark? 😲😉
...we had a rooster in Minnesota that would try to kill you if you looked at it funny. Some roosters are mean.
Old 12-20-19, 07:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
And then it'll go off topic and get sent to P&R
Old 12-20-19, 08:46 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

...we had a rooster in Minnesota that would try to kill you if you looked at it funny. Some roosters are mean.
Darn straight. I was just thinking about that Alice In Chains song. "Yeah, they've come to snuff the rooster, but he ain't gonna die....".😎😉
Old 12-23-19, 12:23 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
if it is the same bike i rode yesterday, just tire air maybe, (though i might wait til i start pedaling and see if things feel ok)
brakes
wheel quick releases

just stuff that could easily come off or change in the night

i;m not going to check wheel bearings, chain slack, headset tightness, other than just by starting to ride

wle
Old 12-23-19, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
do I have my head screwed on straight? no really ... what am I planning to do? & is it a good idea?
Old 12-23-19, 01:09 PM
Kite005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpetry912
not much I can add to the above but those are excellent lists. A pilot always does a walk around check before take off.

One of the things I do is lock the brakes and wiggle the bike back and forth, to confirm brake authority and nothing is loose (headset, wheel QRs, etc.)

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Pilots? As a crew chief on fighters my pilots did somewhat of a walk around but it was closer to "kick and fire". Kick the wheel and fire the engines.
Old 12-23-19, 01:28 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Your pilots didn't wiggle the ejector racks, stick their head in the intakes and the main gear wells, and check the slat deployment (on the TA-4 this was very important! Assymentric slat deployment could kill you.)

I learned my lesson early - about doing your walk around check. Sure there's a longer inspection if the plane hasn't been flown in a while - but I remember leaving our Bonanza parked for lunch somewhere and came back to it - nothing's hanging down, right ? But one of the things I did was just run my fingers down the trailing edge of the wing, across the flaps and ailerons - and it came back wet. Fuel leak. Turned out to be a loose sump drain fitting, which I tightened enough to get us home.

Little things can get you. So, I always pre-flight my bike. Takes 30 seconds.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Last edited by mpetry912; 12-23-19 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-23-19, 01:35 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Your PRE CHECK is very good!

My PRE CHECK starts before I even look at the bicycle...
....I look at my shoes, are they safe and comfortable?
....am I hydrated for the ride?
....check those sunglasses and sun visor
....clothing, warm enough, cool enough?
....vist the toilet
....tell someone that you are going on a ride
....cel phone and Cab fare?
Ok, now go and check your faithful steed!

Julius in Ohio
Old 12-23-19, 03:19 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Just the basics usually. Air in the tires? Brake levers actually connected to something? Chain? Then take it easy for long enough to make sure everything feels right, no squeaks or rattles, before launching into heavy traffic.
Old 12-23-19, 03:25 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912

Little things can get you. So, I always pre-flight my bike. Takes 30 seconds.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Once heard an insurance agent say there are two types of retractable gear pilots, those who have made a gear up landing, and those who are going to.
Old 12-23-19, 03:55 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Well I haven't yet. was that agent qualified to fly anything besides his desk ? "hahahhaha"

there was another one that said in twin engine airplanes, the 2nd engine was there to get you to the scene of the accident.

here's the net net of this thread, at least to me. The airplane sprang from the bicycle ! and like the airplane, the bicycle does not have a lot of structural redundancy. If the engine quits you have a fair chance of gliding to some kind of landing. But if the tail falls off you are toast. Same with your bike. If the front skewer pops, you are probably going down. I actually had a fork blade come out of the crown (and this was on a frame built by a maker of some repute) but fortunately got the bike stopped before wiping out.

Your safety depends on some critical parts - tires, brakes, frame. If they fail in any substantive way, you could be badly hurt. So, I check the bike over every time I ride it. I have a bunch of bikes so they might not get ridden that frequently as I rotate thru the herd.

And I quit flying some years ago.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 12-23-19, 04:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
lately I've been checking the location of my hone & co2 cartridges cuz the gas doesn't work well when very cold & my phone dies when it gets cold, even with a decent charge
If there is nothing wrong with the battery, the phone will be ok when the battery gets warmer, under your jacket etc. If you have earplugs and a microphone . You might be able to talk all through your ride. If you want to.
Or just throw the phone into the woods.
Old 12-23-19, 08:34 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
If there is nothing wrong with the battery, the phone will be ok when the battery gets warmer, under your jacket etc. If you have earplugs and a microphone . You might be able to talk all through your ride. If you want to.
Or just throw the phone into the woods.
Ha, I've had that frozen phone problem too, several times now. I can't say exactly what temp it goes wacky at, but somewhere in the 30s or 40s F. Usually, it starts up fine, but the battery reads like 10% or less, even if it's fully charged, then it shuts down. 🙁

It's not too big a deal, unless you need to find hot coffee, while touring. 🤔😁
Old 12-24-19, 06:55 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Ha, I've had that frozen phone problem too, several times now. I can't say exactly what temp it goes wacky at, but somewhere in the 30s or 40s F. Usually, it starts up fine, but the battery reads like 10% or less, even if it's fully charged, then it shuts down. 🙁

It's not too big a deal, unless you need to find hot coffee, while touring. 🤔😁
Gotta have hot coffee !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.