Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

concentricity: IRD, Soma, 7400, s75

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 07:30 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

I have been mostly using old sr road cranks since getting into fg and am getting ready to take the plunge into nicer cranks mostly to address the tight-loose thing that the super secret sheldon method only sorta cures, but also for looks.

I was leaning towards either nos 7400 cranks or the IRD cranks even after my lbs guy started pushing me towards the soma hellyers and offering a pretty solid discount. Then I caught this other thread where y'all are pushing the op to go with sugino 75's. I really do not want to be going past $200 all together to address the issue. Rather than jack that thread...

- are sealed truvativ bb's noticeably non-concentric compared to those expensive track racing bb's?

- are the IRD's, Soma's and vintage road cranks going to still be noticeably out of round compared to actual track cranks from shimano, sugino and campy?
Old 04-24-16, 07:50 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I got my S75's for a hair less than $200 from AEbike.com fwiw. You can feel an appreciable difference going from nice drivetrain components to really nice drivetrain components in my experience.

Sugino 75 165mm Track Crank Arm Set: Black - AEBike.com
Old 04-24-16, 07:56 PM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The IRD Defiant has a really nice finish. I had it before and it had that tight-loose thing. Maybe getting a better chainring would solve it. I had a used SG75 before and it had a bit of loosening in some spots but it was barely noticeable unlike the IRDs. In the end, once you get going you wouldn't feel it.