Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedal Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 11:27 PM
jeepin784

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal Recommendation

My Daughter (13 years old) is getting into biking a bit more but I don’t feel like she’s quite ready to clip in yet. Someone suggested to me that I start with something that has a cage around the toe/foot. Any recommendations on something sturdy thats easy to slip in to? She is gearing up for her first Sprint Tri in July.
Old 12-28-19, 11:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
There is an "easy" clip-in version made by Shimano that might be appropriate. Otherwise, I'd suggest flats and forget the cage.

My oldest kid broke his wrist when he was trying out clip-ins around that age. (He is fine with them now that he has graduated college.) Youngest one just started using them with no issues at 16.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-29-19, 01:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Triathlon bike gear is a whole nuther thing unto itself. Check the tri-forums for recommendations on pedals and shoes.

Not everyone benefits much from having their cycling shoes attached to the pedals. When the GCN presenters have conducted field and lab tests they found little measurable advantage to clipless vs platform/flat pedals with regular shoes. And they looked uncomfortable with regular shoes and platform pedals. I suspect with practice they could narrow the differences even more.

Probably depends on the individual's pedaling style. Folks who spin around 90 rpm or faster might benefit more. Folks who tend to stomp the pedals at lower cadence, relying mainly on the downward pressure, might not benefit much or at all.

But even if the difference is only a couple of seconds for using foot retention, that's enough for racing against the clock.

For casual rides around town, I still prefer my hybrids with platform pedals. Friday night I rode the local Critical Mass casual group ride on my road bike with clipless. I took the tailgunner or caboose position at the back to sweep up the stragglers and help with encouragement or mechanical issues. And I nearly tumbled a couple of times when inexperienced and out of shape riders just ahead of me swerved or stopped suddenly without warning. I managed to fumble my foot out in time but it's the kind of thing that wouldn't cause problems with platform pedals and no foot retention. Sad to say that at my age (62) even a slow motion tumble onto pavement is good for a busted up shoulder. Been there, done that.

So discuss the pros and cons with your daughter. At 13 there's really no rush to get clipless shoes. It's only a minor factor compared with basic physical conditioning, strategy and pacing for a time trial.

If she's okay with platform pedals, the Issi Thump is a really good value. About $40, tough nylon with nylon pins molded in to grab shoe soles, and a slightly curved surface that meshes with the natural curve of the foot and most shoes. Best platform pedals I've tried so far.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-29-19 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 07:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Spd flat combo pedals. Lots of commuters use them so you can use then with or without bike shoes.

I see kids young as 8 and 9 on spd’s at cyclocross races.
Old 12-29-19, 10:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
If she has the skills and background that she'll be doing a Tri soon, I don't see why too early to start with clipless. Maybe up her alley would be the Speedplay Light Actions. Worst comes to worst, try them out, and if somehow not ready, put them on the shelf for a couple years and come back to them when she's older?

ie. https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=5&minor=2
Old 12-29-19, 01:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12775 Post(s)
Liked 7,693 Times in 4,082 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepin784
My Daughter (13 years old) is getting into biking a bit more but I don’t feel like she’s quite ready to clip in yet. Someone suggested to me that I start with something that has a cage around the toe/foot. Any recommendations on something sturdy thats easy to slip in to? She is gearing up for her first Sprint Tri in July.
Sounds like they're talking about toeclips. They're not that easy to get into. They take practice, as you have to tap the back of the pedal down then push your foot into the clip in one fluid motion.

​​​​​​A bonus for beginner tri folk is that you can ride in your running shoes, thus making for an easy transition.

Here's a pedal/clip/strap combo for $30

​​​​​​https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=113
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-29-19, 01:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12775 Post(s)
Liked 7,693 Times in 4,082 Posts
I think the easiest foot retention is regular SPDs. Get some Shimano 520 pedals and multirelease cleats. Loosen the pedal springs by 5 clicks (all 4 screws) until she complains of accidental release on sprints, then click em back in a notch apiece.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-02-20, 03:36 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
There is an "easy" clip-in version made by Shimano that might be appropriate.
This.
Old 01-02-20, 06:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I fell over once or twice in toe clips. You have to cinch them down tight to do much good. Then you have to loosen them to get out. Usually not a problem but...
Old 01-02-20, 07:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I rode toe clips and straps in the 70s. I think they are dangerous, especially if you are wearing shoes with laces to get caught in all that stuff. Flats or modern clipless would be my choice.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-02-20, 11:30 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I got my first bike with clips and straps for Christmas before my 13th birthday. I had to save up for my first proper cycling shoes, and then a pair of Look pedals. Fast forward 20 years, and I got my wife clipped in for the first time on a pair of spare SPDs. It’s never too late or too early to learn a new skill on the bike.
Old 01-03-20, 12:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
If she is serious about doing the triathlons, she really should try pedals with retention, For some of us, retention is a breakthrough in power. Yes, I've seen the studies that say it's all in my head, but going to first toestraps when I was 12, then pulling the straps tight a few years later were each revelations.

Don't decide for her she shouldn't have pedal retention! (She's young. Broken wrist just isn't that bid a deal. And she'll never do it later when it hurts a lot more! BTDT)

Ben
Old 01-03-20, 10:41 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Sprint tri is the distance where sneakers + flat pedals or toe cages can actually work at the pointy end of the field - saves a shoe change and allows faster running with the bike in transition. How much she cares at this point is up to her, but it is simpler for a beginner.