Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 07:03 PM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by engineerdad
@awfulwaffle that is gorgeous. I'm surprised at how good the brown saddle and bar tape look with the blue, but it looks great. May I ask what Charge saddle that is?
Thank you! I was kind of hesitant to do it, but I think it ended up looking pretty darn good. The saddle is the Charge Spoon. I had read a lot of good reviews, and decided to give it a shot when choosing a replacement for the Dassault Mirage-shaped Selle Royal saddle that came with the bike. I have to say, those reviews were spot on. Even though it has minimal padding, the shape is just right for me and it's comfy as can be. I could ride all day on it with a chamois, and I do my 20 mile round trip commute on it in regular shorts/pants without any soreness. Then again, my butt has some built in padding so YMMV

Last edited by awfulwaffle; 06-26-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 10:05 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Born as a 1984 Connondale touring she has been with me 30 years. Transform many times thru time it's now a mean commuting machine. Frame is large for me, but the customer service I got in 1984 was the best! The store owner fit me well and it's comfortable as an aluminum frame can be.

Fully loaded

Cockpit! Simple! With air horn! BLAAAAAA! LOUD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (100.1 KB, 280 views)
image.jpg (100.4 KB, 286 views)
image.jpg (101.4 KB, 283 views)
image.jpg (98.8 KB, 278 views)
image.jpg (98.9 KB, 154 views)
image.jpg (100.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-27-14, 06:20 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Finally borrowed a camera. Shot these this afternoon. Sorry for the lack of an interesting background. (And apartment dwellers don't get garage doors either.)

2006 Trek Portland

Purchased NOS in September 2007, and the upgrades began almost immediately. Currently equipped with 105 (5600) triple, 12-23 in back, Avid BB-7 brakes, handbuilt wheels (Velocity VXC hoops, Shimano Alfine dynamo hub in front, Velocity Road Disc in back), Continental Grand-Prix 4-Seaasons tires in 28mm, SKS-P-35 Longboards fenders, Thomson seatpost, Selle Italia SLK Gel-Flow saddle, Tubus Cosmo rack, Ortleib Sport Packer Plus panniers, B&M Luxos-U dynamo headlight, B&M Toplight Line Plus Brake dynamo taillight, Dinotte 200L-AA blinky front, Dinotte 300R blinkie back, Topeak Road Morph-G pump, Blackburn Neuro 6.0 cyclometer, Blackburn stainless bottle cages and Nalgene On-The-Go bottle.

In the winter this bike gets the 45mm version of the same fenders and Nokian Hakkpeliitta W106 studded snow tires. (And no, I won't be hoisting the bike on to my living room credenza when it's wearing those tires, thanks for asking.)

2013 Ribble Winter/Audax

Purchased frame, Deda Black Rain carbon fork with fender eyelets and headset (Cane Creek integrated) in January 2013, and initially moved over components from the old frame it replaced. Liked it so much, I've spent the past year upgrading it. Currently equipped with 105 triple (5600 levers and 5700 everything else), 12-23 in back, Shimano BR-R651 long-reach brakes, handbuilt wheels (Velocity A23 and A23 O/C hoops, Shimano Alfine dynamo hub front, Velocity Road rear), Continental Grand-Prix 4-Seaasons tires in 28mm, SKS-P-35 Longboards fenders (with Reacharounds Fender Brackets in back), Thomson seatpost, Selle Italia SLK Gel-Flow saddle, Bontrager Backrack Deluxe L, Ortleib Sport Packer Plus panniers, Schmidt eDelux dynamo headlight, B&M D'toplight XS Plus taillight, Dinotte 200L-AA blinky front, Dinotte 300R blinkie back, Topeak Road Morph-G pump, Blackburn Neuro 6.0 cyclometer, Blackburn stainless bottle cages and Nalgene On-The-Go bottle.

In nice weather, I bracket the workweek with those bikes, then mid-week (weather permitting) I go light, packing only a sandwich, glasses and keys in my jersey pockets. That's when I commute on the roadie.

1996 Litespeed Classic

Purchased as a frameset-only from another member of my club in June 2010. Currently equipped with full Dura-Ace 7800 groupset, standard 53/39 double in front with the 12-23 in back, Velocity A23 PRO wheelset, Continental Grand-Prix 4000S tires in 25mm, near the back brake you'll see the quick-release for the seldom-used beavertail-style rear fender, Thomson seatpost, Selle Italia SLK Gel-Flow saddle, Dinotte 200L-AA blinky front, Dinotte 300R blinkie back, Topeak Road Morph-G pump, Blackburn Neuro 6.0 cyclometer, Blackburn stainless bottle cages and Nalgene On-The-Go bottle.

Last edited by tsl; 06-27-14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 09:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Goodness, tsl, what class acts!

The Ribble and the Trek are extremely similar. Is that so you can have a spare bike to jump on when one has a problem? I've done that. Do they ride similarly?

Tell me what you like about the GP4 tires. I'm in the market for tires.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-27-14, 10:03 PM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Double0757
Born as a 1984 Connondale touring she has been with me 30 years. Transform many times thru time it's now a mean commuting machine. Frame is large for me, but the customer service I got in 1984 was the best! The store owner fit me well and it's comfortable as an aluminum frame can be.
Nice! I envy your metal top tube cable guides, I've had to reglue the center plastic one on mine twice now.
Old 06-27-14, 10:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Goodness, tsl, what class acts!

The Ribble and the Trek are extremely similar. Is that so you can have a spare bike to jump on when one has a problem? I've done that. Do they ride similarly?

Tell me what you like about the GP4 tires. I'm in the market for tires.
Thanks, Tom.

Over the years I've experimented and found stuff that works for me and that I like, so these days I tend to stick with what I like across all my bikes. You'll note that I use the older 5600 and 7800 series levers, for instance, and the Blackburn stainless bottle cages and other accessories.

As you'll recall, I'm car-free, so I rely upon my bikes for basic transportation. It varies a bit, but statistically, between 65% and 75% of my annual cycling (measured by miles, rides, or saddle time) is commuting and errands. So it makes sense that two out of three bikes in the fleet are pretty much ready for anything. I also don't want to be left in a lurch due to a mechanical or something.

While the Portland and the Ribble are equipped similarly, and they both ride well (verging on excellent), they are worlds apart in geometry and thus, handling. The Portland is best described as a cyclocross front end spliced together with a light touring rear end. Its high-trail in front and long chainstays make for stable, if slightly sluggish handling. It excels at descending and carves corners like it has a rudder sunk five feet into the asphalt. It also doesn't mind 60 pounds or more on the back. Almost seems to handle better the more I load it.

As its name suggests, the Ribble Winter/Audax is an audax/brevet/rando bike through and through. The front end is low-trail, intended to compensate for the pendulum effect on steering by a front rack or handlebar bag, neither of which I use. Without the extra weight, it has to be held down in corners. It wants to pop up like a cork to resume straight ahead tracking. It doesn't care for more than 35 or 40 pounds on the back. It's not quite the tail wagging the dog effect I had with the bike it replaced, but it does feel mildly unstable.

What I like best about the 4-Seasons tires is the wet-weather grip. Like the ads for London Fog coats, they let me laugh at the weather, (and at wet pavement markings and manhole covers). I also like that they're lightweight, (especially come spring after pushing around the Nokians) and that they have reasonable puncture resistance. Most of the time.

Around here flat season is March and April before the street sweepers have swept up the little slivers of stone broken off the road surface by the snow plows. (Or before other bikes have collected them in their tires on the MUP.) Those slivers/flakes stick in the rubber and slowly work their way through to the tube, then put tiny pinhole leaks in them. This spring was particularly frustrating. I went several weeks averaging two flats a week. Every time while parked at work. Rode in just fine, flat by closing time. And of course at home, finding those little holes to patch the tubes is a real pain.

More typical stuff--broken glass, nails, staples, bits of wire and metal--don't bother the tires at all. Just those damned little flakes of stone.

What I've found is that the GP 4000S tires on the Litespeed are just as grippy in the wet, but are immune to the little stone slivers. Something about the tread compound makes it harder for them to stick in and stay in the tread. They too seem to be impervious to glass and all the usual road hazards, although I did put a drywall screw through the tread of one and out the sidewall. Booted it and rode it for thousands more miles. The 4000S is notorious for sidewall flats, but in almost 40,000 of total miles, and 8,000 miles on the 4000Ss, I've never had one.

Now that the GP 4000S II comes (or allegedly will come) in 28 mm, I'm thinking of switching when the 4-Seasons wear out. Probably by next spring.

EDIT: Are your wheels 27" or 700C?

Last edited by tsl; 06-27-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 02:44 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Waiting on some Paul Components Mini-motos and a VO bottom bracket. But other than that, it's done for a little bit.

[/URL]
Old 06-28-14, 08:28 PM
rekon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I commute through the roads:

When I commute through the trails:

Old 06-28-14, 09:20 PM
TheDavid 
Sheeeee-it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the long way to work through the river valley.

Last edited by TheDavid; 06-28-14 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 10:13 AM
dippitydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back to bike commuting now, and I'm very happy about it. I decided to make my McLean my every-day bike, even though it's special and valuable. I might as well enjoy it. We use antique plates for dinner. If we didn't use them, what would we do with them?

1982 McLean racing frame
repainted by Weigle in 1991, with braze-ons added, too
Campagnolo Record brakes
Campagnolo Super Record cranks
Cinelli stem and handlebar
Gran Compe brake levers
Simplex Retrofriction shifters
Sugino bottom bracket
Shimano 600 headset
Ambrosio Elite rims
Campagnolo Record 6-speed hubs
Shimano 7-speed freewheel
KMC chain
Wellgo SPD pedals
headset-mounted bell
B&M USB-chargeable headlight
Cygolite tail light
RHM saddle
Sugino seatpost
Campagnolo front and rear derailleurs
Velo-Orange rack
new tires to be determined

Wow. Absolutely loving that shade of purple.
Old 06-29-14, 05:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Just out for a ride today, checking out some trains at the BNSF Intermodal Facility near me.

Old 06-29-14, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by dippitydoo
Wow. Absolutely loving that shade of purple.
Thank you. I don't think I've really captured the color in any picture I've taken. I'm not a very good photographer.

@tsl, thanks for all that. The wheels on my McLean are 700c. I have 27" wheels on my Super Course, which is now out on longterm loan.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-30-14, 12:09 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Just out for a ride today, checking out some trains at the BNSF Intermodal Facility near me.

what kind of rack is that?
Old 06-30-14, 02:47 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I'm back to bike commuting now, and I'm very happy about it. I decided to make my McLean my every-day bike, even though it's special and valuable. I might as well enjoy it. We use antique plates for dinner. If we didn't use them, what would we do with them?

1982 McLean racing frame
repainted by Weigle in 1991, with braze-ons added, too
Campagnolo Record brakes
Campagnolo Super Record cranks
Cinelli stem and handlebar
Gran Compe brake levers
Simplex Retrofriction shifters
Sugino bottom bracket
Shimano 600 headset
Ambrosio Elite rims
Campagnolo Record 6-speed hubs
Shimano 7-speed freewheel
KMC chain
Wellgo SPD pedals
headset-mounted bell
B&M USB-chargeable headlight
Cygolite tail light
RHM saddle
Sugino seatpost
Campagnolo front and rear derailleurs
Velo-Orange rack
new tires to be determined

Pretty bike, Tom. That would sell for a lot here in Viking land. If, that is, you could find a cross between a vintage cyclist and football fanatic.
Old 06-30-14, 02:51 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Recently changed up a few things on the Straggler...

The traction pins on my old pedals were wearing down, so I picked up a new pair of Wellgos with replaceable pins, now I can replace the pins instead of the entire pedal. Mounted a trailer hitch on the rack for a Burley Travoy (sweet trailer, btw, which has replaced my truck for Costco and recycling runs). Flipped the stem. Ditched the Avid BB7 Roads for some TRP Spyres:

Soooo much nicer than the Avids. Better modulation, nicer feel, and the stopping power that you'd expect from a disc brake. Plus, they look cooler. Let's see, what else? Oh yeah, I got t-boned by some left turning ****head who's excuse was that I was in his blind spot. IMO, when you drive with your head up your ***, the entire world's in your blind spot. ******* car threw me about 10 feet, clear into the crosswalk.

Gonna drop the bike off at the shop today to have the frame inspected, which is conveniently on the way to the clinic where I will be having my wrist inspected. Got ****head's insurance info and an accident report was filed, so this should all be covered, and if I end up walking away from this with nothing more than a sprained/broken wrist (please just be sprained), some bruises, a little road rash, and a new bike, I will consider myself incredibly lucky.

In the meantime, the dog walking bike (because its upright riding position facilitates one handed riding, leaving one hand free for leashes) will be stepping in for the Straggler.

My Windsor Oxford. One hand, three speeds, it's gonna be a slow roll for a while. Which is fine, as the brakes on this thing suck.
Sorry about the collision, but great ****ing write up.
Old 06-30-14, 09:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by revcp
Pretty bike, Tom. That would sell for a lot here in Viking land. If, that is, you could find a cross between a vintage cyclist and football fanatic.
I don't get it.

Old 07-01-14, 04:04 AM
revcp 

I don't get it.
Minnesota Vikings. Purple and gold. You wouldn't believe how many purple cars I see.
Old 07-01-14, 06:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by revcp
Minnesota Vikings. Purple and gold. You wouldn't believe how many purple cars I see.
Oh, OK. I know very little about spectator sports. You're talking football, right?

Old 07-01-14, 06:22 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by the sci guy
what kind of rack is that?
oh lol for a second I thought you meant the BNSF crane that picks up the shipping containers!

The rack is a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack with disc mounts, rigged to fit my bike with insulated P-clamps and a Problem Solvers seat post clamp with rack bosses. I got the rack with disc mounts because I hope to build up a dedicated commuter bike in the future, hopefully with disc brakes, and then I would switch this rack over to it.
Old 07-02-14, 05:53 PM
Marc40a

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly ECR, Serotta CSI

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by engineerdad
@awfulwaffle that is gorgeous. I'm surprised at how good the brown saddle and bar tape look with the blue, but it looks great. May I ask what Charge saddle that is?
Agreed. It's a great look.
Old 07-02-14, 06:18 PM
Marc40a

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my new commuter, a 2012 Jamis Aurora. It's my first bike since mine got stolen about 15 years ago when I lived in the city. I just started commuting 26 miles a day (13 each way) in May, a couple days a week (weekend rec rides not included.) Last week I did 3 days and this time tomorrow I'll have done 4! You all know what's coming next!

Anyways... It's nothing special compared with some of the bikes I've seen posted - especially the vintage and custom builds. It's basically stock aside from some painstakingly chosen accessories. That said, I'm quite fond of it and the miles are racking up quickly!

Spur cycle bell:

Attached Images
jamis3.jpg (99.3 KB, 373 views)
jamis12.jpg (100.2 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-02-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 06:23 PM
Marc40a

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weekend/ day trip setup:

and lastly, a feature I just discovered... the U-shaped rack holds a U-lock quite securely. Heck, why say "discovered?" I invented it. : )

*sorry for breaking my post into two. I hit send accidentally and it was much easier to just add a post then to edit and embed all the pics into the original post.
Attached Images
jamis11.jpg (99.2 KB, 304 views)
jamis13.jpg (98.9 KB, 285 views)
Jamis14.jpg (98.1 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-02-14 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 06:18 AM
TheTeaHermit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my daily commuter. The first ever frame I built up thanks to the help of you guys. It's my Centurion Comp TA. This picture was taken while I had it out to lunch with me at Sonic. There ain't nothing quite like being able to take your bike right up to your table.

Old 07-03-14, 07:33 AM
PatrickGSR94

heh I made a Sonic run the other night for milkshakes for me and my wife. Threw them in my bottle cages and took 'em home. I specified no whip cream on mine because I put mine in the sloping downtube cage.
Old 07-03-14, 08:24 AM
TheTeaHermit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
heh I made a Sonic run the other night for milkshakes for me and my wife. Threw them in my bottle cages and took 'em home. I specified no whip cream on mine because I put mine in the sloping downtube cage.
Sounds awesome. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make a psuedo drink carrier for my Peugeot that has a nice wide basket type rack for when I make runs to get food and the such.

Pic related, it's my bicycle's butt. I think I can concoct some sort of wooden or cardboard rig to wedge into one of the sides of the basket. I've got some old tubes laying around that I can use as a rubber grip for the cup holder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.