Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Newbie help with Hoy Fiorenzuola sizing

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Newbie help with Hoy Fiorenzuola sizing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 05:47 PM
Morphio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48/18 was for riding to the velodrome - no longer an issue as it's racked there now. All the track sessions so far I've been using 48/15.
Old 03-23-15, 11:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphio
48/18 was for riding to the velodrome - no longer an issue as it's racked there now. All the track sessions so far I've been using 48/15.
Ah!

Yeah, the 18t uses a lot of chain. Maybe try 46/18 to see if you can get by without disassembling the chain.

I'm very curious about this bike. I seriously considered buying one for myself because it has a very long top tube.
Old 03-24-15, 04:19 PM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it feels like it handles great, but I don't have a wealth of experience to compare it to!

Incidentally, I currently have a 14 & 15 but think that 49x15 is the next step.
Going by advice here: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/686887-omnium-chainring-swap-question.html
I should get some chainring bolts to replace the ones on the omniums. I assume these would do the job?

I.D. Chainring Bolts M8 x 0.75 Double 8.5mm Nuts - £9.99
Buy ID I.D. Stainless Steel Chainring Bolts M8 x 0.75 Single 6.5 mm Nuts - Pack Of 5 from SJS Cycles, fast delivery for the UK - £9.99

Cheers,

Alistair
Old 03-24-15, 04:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Well it feels like it handles great, but I don't have a wealth of experience to compare it to!

Incidentally, I currently have a 14 & 15 but think that 49x15 is the next step.
Going by advice here: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/686887-omnium-chainring-swap-question.html
I should get some chainring bolts to replace the ones on the omniums. I assume these would do the job?

I.D. Chainring Bolts M8 x 0.75 Double 8.5mm Nuts - £9.99
Buy ID I.D. Stainless Steel Chainring Bolts M8 x 0.75 Single 6.5 mm Nuts - Pack Of 5 from SJS Cycles, fast delivery for the UK - £9.99

Cheers,

Alistair
Yes, but see if you can find the single female nuts that are knurled. The idea is that the backs will seat themselves so you won't need 2 tools to change your chainring. If they don't seat themselves, just use super glue and set it. You'll be able to remove them later if needed.

Sugino knurled track chainring bolts | Retrogression

The chainring bolts that come stock on Dura Ace, Sugino, and Campy come knurled. I really don't know what SRAM was thinking when they made that crankset.
Old 03-25-15, 01:13 AM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks. Can't see the Sugino Knurled ones anywhere in the UK so will probably source some Dura Ace for the rear.
Old 03-25-15, 07:35 AM
FPC

Bikes: Cinelli Gazzetta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Large:

Extra Large:

what are the differences in his form between the large and extra large.
im new to this and i dont see anything different. what should i be looking for?
Old 08-06-15, 05:43 AM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similarity of DF3 59cm to Hoy XL (60)

Sorry for the bump, but didn't want to start a whole new thread for a slight add on to the previous questions. Mostly aimed at Carleton as I know he had a DF3, but anyone else feel free to chime in.

Quick questions:
1) Is the 59cm DF3 frame likely to be the right size frame for me, getting on ok atm with the hoy XL at the moment. Can't find stack and reach anywhere for the Dolan so struggling to work out if it's going to put me too low and stretched, but charts: 1) Hoy 2) DF3
2) What did you think of the DF3?
3) What is the easiest way of telling if the bike is the older 1st gen with drop outs that suffer from wheel pulling mentioned in another thread?

More background, if you want/have time:

Getting on really well with the Hoy, many thanks. During the winter I will mostly be riding at the olympic velodrome in a league there. Other side of London, can't take bike on public transport, so will need to keep one there if I'm going to ride much.
Was thinking about getting another Hoy, but see someone is advertising a 59cm DF3 frame for £500. So thinking about maybe getting that and building it up. In the house we have spare wheels, stem, saddle so I'd only need to get handlebars and cranks to go on it.
I'm certainly not top stuff on the track scene - main issue being lack of fitness/training due to work. So maybe it's a bit all the gear no idea, but when there's not much difference in price.... Not doing any pursuit atm, just bunch stuff but will probably give that a go as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by Morphio; 08-06-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 05:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Sorry for the bump, but didn't want to start a whole new thread for a slight add on to the previous questions. Mostly aimed at Carleton as I know he had a DF3, but anyone else feel free to chime in.

Quick questions:
1) Is the 59cm DF3 frame likely to be the right size frame for me, getting on ok atm with the hoy XL at the moment. Can't find stack and reach anywhere for the Dolan so struggling to work out if it's going to put me too low and stretched, but charts: 1) Hoy 2) DF3
2) What did you think of the DF3?
3) What is the easiest way of telling if the bike is the older 1st gen with drop outs that suffer from wheel pulling mentioned in another thread?

More background, if you want/have time:

Getting on really well with the Hoy, many thanks. During the winter I will mostly be riding at the olympic velodrome in a league there. Other side of London, can't take bike on public transport, so will need to keep one there if I'm going to ride much.
Was thinking about getting another Hoy, but see someone is advertising a 59cm DF3 frame for £500. So thinking about maybe getting that and building it up. In the house we have spare wheels, stem, saddle so I'd only need to get handlebars and cranks to go on it.
I'm certainly not top stuff on the track scene - main issue being lack of fitness/training due to work. So maybe it's a bit all the gear no idea, but when there's not much difference in price.... Not doing any pursuit atm, just bunch stuff but will probably give that a go as well.

Thanks!
I've seen maybe 3 different dropout designs on the DF3. You'll need a pic to tell.

Also, some DF3s had a problem with the dropouts stretching apart. Dolan reported that it was not a systemic problem and only isolated to a few unlucky frames. Pics could answer that question, too.

The DF3 is a great frame. The geometry is spot-on for modern racing. Very similar to the LOOK 496. That being said, I don't think the DF3 would be an upgrade over the Hoy. Similar, but not better (even with the DF3 being carbon).
Old 08-07-15, 12:09 AM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. So would you say just get another hoy for now?
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f9&oe=563BF3EC
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=56374CB5

FB link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3734...1017424053568/
4 years old, so I guess made 2011.
Old 08-07-15, 12:28 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So maybe it's a bit all the gear no idea, but when there's not much difference in price....
Drop outs look like they haven't spread at all.

If it fits why not? No problem having nice things if you can afford them. I have a BT Stealth; does it make me any faster? Doubt it but I like to ride it and enjoy looking at it...
Old 08-07-15, 12:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Drop outs look like they haven't spread at all.

If it fits why not? No problem having nice things if you can afford them. I have a BT Stealth; does it make me any faster? Doubt it but I like to ride it and enjoy looking at it...
Agreed, the dropouts don't look to have spread.

But, yeah, those are the early dropouts that would slip under really strong riders. So, if you are really strong (like squat +350lbs) then use a chain tensioner.
Old 08-07-15, 12:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

I recall that the Reach on the 59cm Dolan was similar to my Tiemeyer which is 438mm. The Large HOY is 436mm and XL is 446mm.
Old 08-07-15, 01:14 PM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, it's been 8 or so years since I did weights, but from hazy memory when I was a competitive rower that wouldn't be too crazy if I got on it again. But right now I'm 210lbs and not that fit. If it's just a case of throw some tensioners on and it's a non problem then I can address that if I get there.

No issues with flex in the frame itself? If you think it's a good call I'll ask to look it over.

Thanks a million.
Old 08-07-15, 06:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hmmm, it's been 8 or so years since I did weights, but from hazy memory when I was a competitive rower that wouldn't be too crazy if I got on it again. But right now I'm 210lbs and not that fit. If it's just a case of throw some tensioners on and it's a non problem then I can address that if I get there.

No issues with flex in the frame itself? If you think it's a good call I'll ask to look it over.

Thanks a million.
It's carbon, so it's not as stiff as aluminum, but it's very stiff. It absorbs bumps very well and it's relatively lightweight.

I say go for it.
Old 08-07-15, 08:23 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to throw out that design influences stiffness much, much more than material does.
Old 08-07-15, 08:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by wens
I'm going to throw out that design influences stiffness much, much more than material does.
I agree.
Old 08-07-15, 08:58 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
But aero! Has stiffness overcome marketing yet?
Old 10-18-15, 07:29 PM
acslater55

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any more updates on the Hoy? I am pretty close to getting one after lots of research. Any further input you could provide would be helpful.

Just a quick update to say thanks for the help. Bike got it's first track time on Saturday and handled like a dream

For those that are interested in getting one of the Hoy bikes, I'm generally very happy with it and it handles well (although I only have limited track experience on a couple of rentals) but there are a few things worth mentioning:
  • Drop outs aren't short, but definitely not as long as on some bikes I've seen. Chain as fitted had to be split to get wheel in and out when running 48x18 to get to the velodrome. Racked at the velodrome now, so shouldn't be a regular problem. Haven't yet tried it with any really small gearing to see how much range there is - a bit of room to go back with a 48x13 but didn't have a 46 or 47 to test it with.
  • Sprocket that shipped with it is a shiny unbranded one, not DA 7600 as listed
  • Seatpost head clamp had a threaded hole that could be at best described as "oval". Stripped the bolt out when switching saddles which meant a dash around LBSs to find a zero setback post before taking it to the track.
  • Not a surprise, but I'll be swapping the tyres out for something else. Dual compound so they'd never be allowed on the indoor velodromes over here.

But considering I got the bike for £635 I can live with those.
Old 10-21-15, 02:42 PM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very happy with it. Spent the summer training and racing league outdoors on it. Not as often as I'd like due to work, but enough to be pretty happy with it. No other issues other than the ones mentioned.
For the winter league I have got another 2nd hand bike kept at indoor track - only because its not viable to move the bikes between the tracks on public transport. Will still be using the hoy for weekend training outdoors when the weather is good enough, and racing again in the summer.
Mostly been using it with 48x14 - bought some dura ace cogs, and replaced the chainring bolts as mentioned above with Dura ace rear and stainless doubles at the front to allow switching chainrings without issue.
Old 10-21-15, 06:07 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Morph, why don't you just swap your bikes at the beginning and end of indoor season?
Old 10-24-15, 07:47 AM
Morphio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because there's overlap - I still ride a bit on the indoor track during the summer, and I still plan on training at the weekends at the outdoor one when the weather isn't too bad. Taking the bike between them is a real PITA as I don't have a car any more.