Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

3 dead in head-on collision. Driver "swerved" to miss cyclist.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

3 dead in head-on collision. Driver "swerved" to miss cyclist.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 07:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not sure which models they were ... not all cCaddys and Mercs are big cars nowadays.
Not a Smart Car!!
Old 05-03-19, 01:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I would say you have psychic qualities except that 99.99% of all motorists drive too fast, don't pay attention, and don't plan ahead. So you would be correct a vast majority of the times you would guess this.
It's not psychic abilities at all, it's just simple careful observation, and a strong desire to stay alive by being an active driver, not a passive dolt (could not think of a better word).

Just watching drivers, and maintaing a sharp eye for potential problems... shoot the same damn skills you use when you run lights (or used to...)

Motorists are somewhat predictable, if you watch them. But you really have to keep your situational awareness up... Joey, you freakin know this, this is exactly how you find gaps, by really watching what drivers are doing. Now take that same skillset and try to not be a part of the problem*, but work to avoid bad situations.

*yes, I am implying that by running lights as you did, you were "part of the problem," which is true... you became "unpredictable." But leave that aside for a past discussion.

Bottom line, it isn't psychic abilities, it's just real active driving/cycling, and paying attention.

BTW, I enjoy "just riding along" as much as the next guy... I only do that on isolated paths. (I also do it swimming... but that is a whole other event)
Old 05-03-19, 07:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
We have no idea where the bicycle was, but we do know that the car crossed a double yellow line, which is clearly illegal under NC law. Bikes are by law permitted to use the entire lane in NC, but "usually" should be on the right.
Old 05-03-19, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"I pay attention when I'm driving."

"'I ain't never been to jail!' You're not supposed to go to jail you low-expectation-havin'....!" One of the best stand up pieces ever recorded.
Old 05-03-19, 09:00 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
...Motorists are somewhat predictable, if you watch them...
Yes and no. Motorists were, in my observations, much more predictable before cell phones. Take it from a guy who waits for nothing on a bicycle. 10 years ago splitting lanes between slow moving cars/trucks certainly took unyielding concentration but at least the vast majority of motorists stayed in pretty tight and dependable formation. Now!!! Good God. They are not only crossing the dividing lines but bumping into each other at low speeds front to rear. I started seeing, and capturing on video, these "tiny" bumps that did little to no harm to a car bumper. But when the unpredictability became predictable....then I had to seriously rethink my behavior. The environment has changed. I had to evolve or live with greater risk.

Traffic laws make some of us feel like there is some order in the universe. In fact, our commutes and recreational rides are made up of a long series of totally random events. That motorist who steam rolls me got a phone call at exactly the wrong time for ME. If I had not been there to kill, that event would have likely gone completely unnoticed. Russian Roulette is not even a good comparison because depending on how many bullets are in the cylinder a player can calculate EXACTLY what the odds of surviving with every spin.

What every traffic cyclist needs to come to grips with is the fact that events in this new and changing environment does have a basic order to it when looked at from outer space, but a close-up on-the-tarmac view reveals a long string of tightly grouped random events with no way to calculate your odds of surviving each one. The only control we as cyclists really have are the choices WE MAKE - when, how, and where we ride. The rest is just a lottery we hope we never "win".

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-03-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 09:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
If someone is surprised when they see you on the shoulder, they will often swerve as well. It's a natural instinct. This person caused all this death because they weren't paying attention. Could have been anything in the road.
Old 05-03-19, 02:33 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
We have no idea where the bicycle was, but we do know that the car crossed a double yellow line, which is clearly illegal under NC law. Bikes are by law permitted to use the entire lane in NC, but "usually" should be on the right.
It is now legal to pass with double yellow when the vehicle being overtaken is a bicycle. This is a recent change in the law that was meant to eliminate close passes from motorists that tried to squeeze by within the lane. The law included a 4' passing clearance.

Here's the text. I added the underscore.

G.S.§ 20-150. Limitations on privilege of overtaking and passing.

(e)The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass another on any portion of the highway which is marked by signs, markers or markings placed by the Department of Transportation stating or clearly indicating that passing should not be attempted. The prohibition in this section shall not apply when the overtaking and passing is done in accordance with all of the following:
(1)The slower moving vehicle to be passed is a bicycle or a moped.
(2)The slower moving vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the faster moving vehicle.
(3)The driver of the faster moving vehicle either (i) provides a minimum of four feet between the faster moving vehicle and the slower moving vehicle or (ii) completely enters the left lane of the highway.
(4)The operator of the slower moving vehicle is not (i) making a left turn or (ii) signaling in accordance with G.S.20-154 that he or she intends to make a left turn.
(5)The driver of the faster moving vehicle complies with all other applicable requirements set forth in this section
Before the change in the law, most motorists would move over to pass when safe, even in a no passing zone. There were a few that just would not move over, though, probably out of concern that it was against the law.
Old 05-03-19, 03:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It is now legal to pass with double yellow when the vehicle being overtaken is a bicycle. This is a recent change in the law that was meant to eliminate close passes from motorists that tried to squeeze by within the lane. The law included a 4' passing clearance.
But, legally, one must stop and wait for a "salmon" bicycle to pass the car.

You know what most of the laws miss...

Perhaps keeping the speed a little bit under 90 MPH.
Old 05-07-19, 03:35 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Typical 'me first' attitude on the part of the driver. Don't forget, 'having to be there yesterday'.
Old 05-18-19, 05:15 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
It sounds to me as though the cyclist was in the automobile's lane. What is a motorist to do in that instance? Drive the next ten miles at ten miles per hour? of course, he has to eventually "swerve" out into the passing lane to get past the idiot riding his bike in the middle of the road. I'd hate to be this cyclist, because if this is what happened, he is totally to blame. Stay to the right, stay single file.
Old 05-18-19, 07:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
More victim-blaming in the defence of bad driving.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-20-19, 10:22 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
The motorists were the victims. Don't force people into unsafe situations. Stay to the right.
Old 05-20-19, 11:49 AM
Xanthippus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, victimized by an inattentive driver, not a cyclist exercising their rights.
Old 05-20-19, 12:12 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The motorists were the victims. Don't force people into unsafe situations. Stay to the right.
Victimized by his own bad driving.
Old 05-22-19, 10:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It sounds to me as though the cyclist was in the automobile's lane. What is a motorist to do in that instance? Drive the next ten miles at ten miles per hour? of course, he has to eventually "swerve" out into the passing lane to get past the idiot riding his bike in the middle of the road. I'd hate to be this cyclist, because if this is what happened, he is totally to blame. Stay to the right, stay single file.
Seriously?

He has to slow down until he can safely go into the other lane. You have no idea where the bicyclist was or why, and NC law allows the bike to operate on the right side of the road. Generally, I ride as far as possible to the right, but there are plenty of roads where that isn't very far to the right because of cracked pavement and/or debris.

Regardless, the article indicates that the driver "overcorrected", which would indicate he didn't need to go so far into the opposite lane as he did, so you have absolutely no basis to assume that the bicyclist wasn't way over to the right. I have had cars swerve like this unreasonably when there was plenty of room for them to pass me and stay to the right of the yellow line, and I was exactly where you say I should have been, The cars in both directions both had to slam brakes and barely missed a head on. I'm sure at least one of them probably blamed me, but seeing as no accident had actually occurred, I didn't hang around to find out.

And if you have to follow a slow moving vehicle at ten mph because you can't pass, that's life. Have you never gotten stuck behind a construction vehicle or a funeral?