Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hazardous Cycling Arrest

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hazardous Cycling Arrest

Old 09-23-19, 01:29 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 471 Posts
Hazardous Cycling Arrest

Please: Stay out of the middle of the street.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/0...in-arrest.html
Old 09-23-19, 02:41 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Riding through intersections without regard for right of way is definitely worthy of a "disruptive and dangerous" complaint.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-23-19, 03:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Anyone ever get arrested for "ignoring traffic control devices" while driving a car? Or driving a car in the "middle of the road." Anyone? Anyone?

p.s. Bullies tell people to "stay out of the middle of the road."

Similar non-event in Springfield in the spring. "Unruly and dangerous!" "Miscreants!" And some, I assume, are good people.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-24-19 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-23-19, 03:18 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
This is the reactionary way to handle the problem. If a city wanted to be proactive, they could set up some grass course racing for the kids to have fun, in a safer closed course.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-23-19, 09:41 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
This is being done by groups of up to 20+ riders. They are doing it just disrupt things. As for taking their bikes most are stolen. There are also dirt bikes and quads doing the same thing. I have twice seen them do it in front of a cruiser and the cops did nothing.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 09-24-19, 01:03 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Bmach
This is being done by groups of up to 20+ riders. They are doing it just disrupt things. As for taking their bikes most are stolen. There are also dirt bikes and quads doing the same thing. I have twice seen them do it in front of a cruiser and the cops did nothing.
Why are they doing it to disrupt things? I know I've done all manner of stupid things for one of two reasons: lack of an appropriate location for the stupid activity, or testosterone-fueled decision making.

See Cleveland's attempt to address the issue.

Arrests and pursuit, as we should be aware by now, present problems with unintended consequences. Bystanders get maimed or killed, suspects effectively get the death penalty for grand theft auto, etc. Your officers might be thinking, "does one of these kids need to die for riding recklessly?"
It could happen anyway, but giving chase is likely to precipitate worse behavior.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-24-19, 08:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Anyone ever get arrested for "ignoring traffic control devices" while driving a car? Or driving a car in the "middle of the road." Anyone? Anyone?

Similar non-event in Springfield in the spring. "Unruly and dangerous!" "Miscreants!" And some, I assume, are good people.

-mr. bill
They were arrested for disorderly conduct, so I would have to assume that there was more going on than just riding bikes in a reckless manner.
Old 09-24-19, 08:22 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
They were arrested for disorderly conduct, so I would have to assume that there was more going on than just riding bikes in a reckless manner.
Wrong. Not immediately obeying a lawful order from a peace officer is all it takes. Start shouting at people at random (don't touch them or verbally threaten them) and when police come to demand you stop, keep shouting. Boom, you now have a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct.
Old 09-24-19, 10:42 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Wrong. Not immediately obeying a lawful order from a peace officer is all it takes. Start shouting at people at random (don't touch them or verbally threaten them) and when police come to demand you stop, keep shouting. Boom, you now have a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct.
Don't forget "resisting arrest" which more or less means "did not immediately act like a rag doll when encountering a police officer".

I remember Washington DC had a "blocking the sidewalk" law which was also one of those laws that seemed to specifically exist so police officers could stop anyone at any time.
Old 09-24-19, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've actually seen this sort of thing a couple times in person recently--it seems to be some sort of YouTube inspired fad to ride bikes weaving through different lanes of traffic while doing wheelies. It's definitely a daredevil stunt kind of thing and really quite nerve-wracking if you're driving. Much as I'd like to pretend this is all harmless fun, I think it's inevitable that if this fad continues some riders are going to get maimed or killed. I doubt law enforcement is likely to be effective in curbing this and it just may have to run its course. In the meantime, I'm just choosing to drive really slowly when I see this start up. Dangerous fads tend to have a very short half-life.
Old 09-26-19, 08:42 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

-mr. bill
Has anyone ever gotten arrested for ignoring traffic control devices(lights and signs)while driving a car?
Yes. Basically every minute of every day across the country.
Bullies?...
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-28-19, 08:27 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Pick your battles. Don't try to defend people that don't deserve to be defended. This is a group of kids that might have just been doing what kids do in the best of light. They might have also been jerks being jerks. Either way, defending them makes cycling advocates look fanatical to the normies.
Likes For SactoDoug:
Old 10-03-19, 04:25 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's an easy charge to slap on someone even if they are following the officer's every instruction.
Old 10-04-19, 07:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
Pick your battles. Don't try to defend people that don't deserve to be defended. This is a group of kids that might have just been doing what kids do in the best of light. They might have also been jerks being jerks. Either way, defending them makes cycling advocates look fanatical to the normies.
There seems to be an awful lot of "The cyclist is always in the right" around here. I personally call 'em as I see 'em.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-04-19, 08:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I'm a tougher judge of cyclists, because when they misbehave, it gives us all a bad name. We have an obligation to police our own, it's in our best interests.

Any braid dead fanatic can reflexively come to the defense of his tribe before knowing the facts, there's not much virtue in that.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-04-19, 08:36 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'm a tougher judge of cyclists, because when they misbehave, it gives us all a bad name. We have an obligation to police our own, it's in our best interests.

Any braid dead fanatic can reflexively come to the defense of his tribe before knowing the facts, there's not much virtue in that.
If I only had a braid.

BTW, Damn straight I'm going to "reflexively come to the defense" of these children.

-mr. bill

Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-06-19, 06:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I might have if I hadn't witnessed a few close calls caused by this wheelies between traffic lanes crap. There's a reason "go play in traffic" is something you say to people you don't like.

The most careful driver in the world can't be expected to foresee people riding erratically in the small space between two cars. Avoiding hitting someone under those circumstances may easily require superhuman reaction skills.

I agree that stopping every kid riding without a helmet and taking their bike hostage is an overreaction, but I have no problem with doing that to someone caught doing the wheelie in traffic bit. If you see it, it's clear it's supposed to be a daredevil stunt. Those are generally discouraged on roads.
Old 10-06-19, 06:23 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, the Bike Snob column made me embarrassed that my BS meter didn't go off on the first report. Anything that gathers teen-aged boys that doesn't involve a high school coach automatically turns into reports of gangs of "hoodlums" up to no-good.
Eek! Yoots were reported gathering. Your meter needs new batteries.

BTW, if I only had two wheels. If you commute by unicycle is that a wheelie, or just dangerous?

Not a bicyclist commuting home.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-06-19, 06:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Eek! Yoots were reported gathering. Your meter needs new batteries.

BTW, if I only had two wheels. If you commute by unicycle is that a wheelie, or just dangerous?

I'm talking about something I've actually seen, so no bs to be detected in this case. What I've seen is people doing wheelies while slaloming between lanes of moving cars, deliberately crossing lanes immediately in front of the cars. I've never seen someone stupid enough to slalom like that on a unicycle, so your snark is, as usual, pointless and cheap. Frankly, I'd expect someone slaloming like that to get pulled over if a cop saw it regardless of two, one or four wheels.

Funny you went and dug up that quote from an old thread. Obviously, unlike you, I'm capable of admitting when I'm wrong.
Old 10-06-19, 08:36 PM
mr_bill

I'm talking about something I've actually seen, so no bs to be detected in this case.
YOU saw these yoots in Lowell and called 911?

-mr. bill
Old 10-06-19, 10:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

YOU saw these yoots in Lowell and called 911?

-mr. bill
Nope, never claimed anything of the kind. Just said that I have seen yoots doing crap that justifies police intervention, and I'm not buying your knee-jerk "kids just being kids, nothing to see here" assumption here.

Should we do a gofundme to teach you reading comprehension? You misinterpret other people's posts a lot.
Old 10-07-19, 12:22 AM
mr_bill

Nope, never claimed anything of the kind. Just said that I have seen yoots doing crap that justifies police intervention, and I'm not buying your knee-jerk "kids just being kids, nothing to see here" assumption here.

Should we do a gofundme to teach you reading comprehension? You misinterpret other people's posts a lot.
Find the word “wheelie” in the Masslive or Lowell Sun articles. I’ll wait.

-mr. bill
Old 10-07-19, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Find the word “wheelie” in the Masslive or Lowell Sun articles. I’ll wait.

-mr. bill
Right after you tell me why the bicycle statute that says bicyclists must yield to pedestrians on sidewalks is posted on the Minuteman.
Old 10-07-19, 07:03 AM
mr_bill

The "bike gang," "little jerks," "menace," and "punks," and NINE Lowell Police Officers.

Left as an excersize for the thoughtful. Chances that the below "bike gang," "little jerks," "menace," and "punks" would have their bikes seized by the Lexington Police Department?

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Encountered the suburban counterpart of cow-tipping in Lexington; irrational exuberance, middle-school division. Also encountered mr_bill, who helped me get the barrels upright again. We had a nice chat.

rod

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-07-19 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-07-19, 08:02 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
This Boston Globe article on the BMX cruiser kids scene in Lynn provides a rare look at the phenomenon from the kids' perspective. Worth reading if you're puzzling over wheelies.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.