Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 11:59 AM
clowther06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendations

I am in the market for a new bike and was hoping to get the thoughts of others more knowledgeable than myself on the topic.

My use is almost entirely for commuting, with the occasional ride on the weekend. I will almost certainly never race. With that being said, my commute is ten miles each way, and I have wanted to get a faster bike in order to cut down on the approximately 45 minutes it takes me. Between having young kids and a demanding job, shaving 5 minutes off my commute is worth a lot to me. While I appreciate traffic lights, etc. have an impact on my commute time, I am on a trail for about half of the ride and there are several large hills that I suspect a lighter bike would do better on. While I am always on paved surfaces, there are certainly bumps in the trail from tree roots and lots of potholes in downtown DC, which is where I work. So, while I am tempted to get a fast road bike, I understand that may not be the best for these conditions. I have also been told that for my use, a race bike may not be the most comfortable ride.

Given this situation, does anyone have thoughts on what might make sense? My preference is to get something used for better value and to spend somewhere around 1,000. I know there are commuter bikes out there, but they all look heavy and slow. Is a CX bike the way to go? For context, I currently ride a mid-1990s Cannondale hybrid, which has been very dependable, but I expect has set the bar somewhat low in regards to performance. Thanks you in advance for any advice you may have!
Old 10-03-19, 12:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
If you want to go used, then its pretty pointless for others to suggest specific bikes since who knows if one of them is available in your area in your size. The odds are small at any given time.

So if you want drop bars, then yes a cx or gravel bike may be the way to go. I assume you carry stuff to/from work, so brazeons for a rack will be good. Something that can fit wider tires will be more comfortable on the pavement conditions you mention. More comfortable and possibly faster, actually.
High quality tires will make a huge difference with regards to comfort and speed. Riding thick heavy tires meas a lot of energy is being lost compared to low resistance tires, even if the low resistance tires are relatively wide.

10 miles in 45min means 13.3mph. cutting 5min off your commute will require you to average 15mph which is a significant jump in average speed. Cutting a few pounds off the bike could help, and being in a more aero position on drop bars could help, but combined that may not get you there and fitness will then need to play a part.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-03-19, 01:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if you're current commuter bike isn't a drop-bar style road bike, then switching to that would help
Old 10-05-19, 08:07 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Cyclocross or a gravel bike, as suggested above.
Old 10-07-19, 01:43 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by clowther06
...my commute is ten miles each way, and I have wanted to get a faster bike in order to cut down on the approximately 45 minutes it takes me. Between having young kids and a demanding job, shaving 5 minutes off my commute is worth a lot to me. While I appreciate traffic lights, etc. have an impact on my commute time, I am on a trail for about half of the ride and there are several large hills that I suspect a lighter bike would do better on. While I am always on paved surfaces, there are certainly bumps in the trail from tree roots and lots of potholes in downtown DC, which is where I work. So, while I am tempted to get a fast road bike, I understand that may not be the best for these conditions. I have also been told that for my use, a race bike may not be the most comfortable ride.

Given this situation, does anyone have thoughts on what might make sense? My preference is to get something used for better value and to spend somewhere around 1,000. I know there are commuter bikes out there, but they all look heavy and slow. Is a CX bike the way to go?
Greetings @clowther06, I commute over on the VA side of the Potomac. I ride an aluminum endurance road bike with wider tires and panniers for most of my daily commutes. But I also ride a road bike, especially in the warmer summer months. As long as you have somewhat durable tires and good wheels, you'd do fine on a road bike. My ride is a hilly 9 miles. Do I notice much time difference between my clunky commuter and my lightest road bike? I wonder. Maybe a couple of minutes savings in reality. My perception is that the lighter road bikes are more fun (and maybe have the sensation of being faster), but I wouldn't swear to it in court.

Please let me know if I can assist you (i.e., if you mail order a bike, I'd assemble it for you gladly). Phil G.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-07-19, 01:47 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you want to go used, then its pretty pointless for others to suggest specific bikes since who knows if one of them is available in your area in your size. The odds are small at any given time.

So if you want drop bars, then yes a cx or gravel bike may be the way to go. I assume you carry stuff to/from work, so brazeons for a rack will be good. Something that can fit wider tires will be more comfortable on the pavement conditions you mention. More comfortable and possibly faster, actually.
High quality tires will make a huge difference with regards to comfort and speed. Riding thick heavy tires meas a lot of energy is being lost compared to low resistance tires, even if the low resistance tires are relatively wide.

10 miles in 45min means 13.3mph. cutting 5min off your commute will require you to average 15mph which is a significant jump in average speed. Cutting a few pounds off the bike could help, and being in a more aero position on drop bars could help, but combined that may not get you there and fitness will then need to play a part.
Go gravel instead of CX because you'll likely get rack attachment points (and possibly fender mounts) and the ride will be more stable. I think you can find what you like in a the used market. However, with $1000 to spend you are close to getting a decent new bike ( maybe a Marin or Fuji), and you might want to look at a touring style bike.
Old 10-07-19, 02:15 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I suspect you already know this, but I'm gonna say it anyway... you're not gonna notice a significant time saving by switching to another bike. If you made the effort and really rode your butt off over the ten miles, that's about as fast as you're ever gonna go no matter what you're riding. A new (used) different bike might be more comfortable, but wringing out any time savings couldn't be any more than the time you'd be waiting for a signal to change. I know this point isn't gonna win me any BF love, but somebody's got to be honest here. That's not to say I wouldn't want to buy another bike. I'm already on number three for this year, and that's taken real discipline on my part.

-Kedosto
n+3, but who's counting?
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 10-07-19, 03:30 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
If your ride is all pavement I don't think you need a CX bike. I ride dirt type rail trails with my CX bike w/28 mm tires that are suitable for the road. If I was ridding all paved surfaces I'd probably just take my CAAD 12.
Old 10-07-19, 04:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The big question is drops versus upright bars. Can you ride drops comfortably? Can you borrow a drop bar bike for a week or two and find out?
Old 10-07-19, 04:35 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am going to second what @Kedosto basically said. I am absolutely amazed at how similar my times are when riding within the city whether I am riding like a maniac as fast as I possibly can go versus when I am riding at a totally leisurely and relaxed (for me) pace.They are virtually identical every time.
Old 10-08-19, 06:00 AM
clowther06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the information so far! Yes, I suspect a faster bike will not necessarily mean time savings. Perhaps I have invented this lie in order to justify buying a new bike. I do think being more comfortable is a justifiable decision (also saving 9 dollars in metro fares a day, so surely I deserve it). It sounds like a gravel bike or perhaps an endurance bike (i.e. Domane, Roubaix, Synapse) would also work, though perhaps the tires might be a bit thin. On the topic of new bikes, I see the Coop ARD 1.4 is on sale for about 1700. This seems pretty enticing given the certainty that comes with REI’s customer service. Shimano 105 components and Giant makes the carbon frame. Does anyone have experience with this bike?
Old 10-08-19, 08:18 AM
clowther06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The big question is drops versus upright bars. Can you ride drops comfortably? Can you borrow a drop bar bike for a week or two and find out?
I actually did borrow a friends bike for a week with drops. I never quite got used to them, but I think part of the problem was the bike was not properly set up for me as he is about two inches shorter than me. I’m hoping that regular use on a bike that fits will get me more accustomed.
Old 10-08-19, 08:57 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I own an old early 2000s hybrid Gary Fisher with straight bars, large tires (smooth down the middle, quite knobby on the sides). I also own two very fast and expensive road bikes, deep carbon wheels, fast aero position, the whole nine yards.

The difference in speed is tremendous. It easily takes the same power to average 15mph on the hybrid that it does to average 20mph on the race bikes.

Now, if the tires were practically the same, say tubeless conti gp5000s 28mm on the hybrid and the race bike, I'd put the difference much closer, probably between 18mph and 20mph. So yes, in my experience having these two types of bikes and actually testing speed at similar power outputs between them, I'd certainly say it would improve your commute, but the difference in wheels would probably have the largest contribution (so, if you just upgraded your wheels, perhaps a better investment?).

As for drop bars, I really only use them on fast, sketchy, descents, cornering at speed, drafting in a race or A-Ride, or smashing a Strava KOM. If I were commuting by bike, I probably wouldn't touch them and wouldn't really have that impact my buying decisions too much.

As for a CX bike, I personally would immediately say no, specifically because of the gearing, and secondly the twitchy handling. 'Cross is highly technical so the bike is really designed more for quick turns and slow speeds on crazy terrain, if you were descending or have a good tailwind on your commute there's a good chance you'd be spinning out.

A Gravel bike is like a CX bike but has a larger range of gears as it is often expected to go near tarmac speeds so there wouldn't be too much of a worry of spinning out, the geometry is often a bit more relaxed than a CX bike too.

That being said, I would simply recommend a aluminum endurance bike, if I were buying in your situation I would probably get one of the following:
Domane AL 3 $1,019.99
SYNAPSE DISC SORA $1150 (yes it has disc, but mechanical disc isn't particularly better than regular rim brakes, the integrated cable routing is nice though).

Grade Elite $1000 (value for days...)
Endurace AL Disc 7.0 $1599 more expensive option but it has basically everything, I doubt you'd be riding this around and feel like you really need to upgrade anything.

I would also throw in a few recommendations for flat bar bikes that are fast and would get the job done, but, aside from that one I mentioned, I really don't ride them and would never actually buy one.
Old 10-08-19, 09:03 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I have a 12-15 mile commute, so similar to yours. I use a road bike that was pretty darned expensive, but I justified it by saying I deserved it. Not sure that's true, but I have no regrets. I smile every mile on that thing. You really do get more for the money you spend, and commuting allows me to enjoy my investment every day.

So my recommendation? Buy something you're not sure you deserve, but you know you'll enjoy.
Old 10-08-19, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
On the topic of new bikes, I see the Coop ARD 1.4 is on sale for about 1700.
Try $1798, and you need to consider what, if anything, you need to carry with you in terms of clothes, etc., and how you plan to carry it. A messenger bag/backpack can up the sweat factor on hot/humid days. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-08-19, 09:24 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
I have a 12-15 mile commute, so similar to yours. I use a road bike that was pretty darned expensive, but I justified it by saying I deserved it. Not sure that's true, but I have no regrets. I smile every mile on that thing. You really do get more for the money you spend, and commuting allows me to enjoy my investment every day.

So my recommendation? Buy something you're not sure you deserve, but you know you'll enjoy.
QFT. I recently purchased a used velomobile for $5k. Worth every penny. It will take a long time to 'pay off' in terms of saved gas, and auto maintenance, but it's worth it for all kinds of other reasons.
Old 10-09-19, 06:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
On the topic of new bikes, I see the Coop ARD 1.4 is on sale for about 1700. This seems pretty enticing given the certainty that comes with REI’s customer service. Shimano 105 components and Giant makes the carbon frame. Does anyone have experience with this bike?
I dont have riding experience, but I see it every time I am in the local REI and can say that it is a very nice looking road bike for the price.
With that said...

- It isnt designed to handle a rack.
- It can handle wider than stock tires. Probably up to 35mm, but for sure a 32 would fit fine.
- Hydraulic 105 drivetrain and branded wheels at this price is quite decent.
- REI needs to add some color to the mix. The flat black frame is getting quite long in the tooth.

I wouldnt look to use this bike for commuting to work, but I have a 15mi ride each way and dont like carrying stuff on my back. You might be different. There is no right or wrong here.