Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best lock for my kid borrowing my Bianchi at college?:cry:

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best lock for my kid borrowing my Bianchi at college?:cry:

Old 11-12-19, 10:49 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Thanks for all the advice. Believe it or not, this Bianchi was $100 because it was on CL in the sticks. But of course I love it.
My diabolical plan, is to let him ride it for a little bit, whet the appetite so to speak, and then let him PICK OUT HIS OWN BIKE <<<< genius move.

as long it doesn't get stolen.

It is kept inside a house to ride to campus for Formula SAE meetings mostly.
Doesn't really matter what you paid for it, its what it is worth to you. My favorite bike cost me $15, getting it stolen would be a really bad day. And I am not finding a replacement for $15.

Myself, if he wants FG, I'd just get one of those crappy Thruster bikes at Walmart. Or better yet, pick up a used Walmart/box store MTB.

At a recent visit to a college campus, almost all the bikes I saw were beat up Walmart junkers.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-12-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 11:52 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That sounds like a more targeted attack than theft.
Yeh, I thought as much as well. But the daughter is a 95 lb, vegan gynecologist, who literally wouldn't hurt a fly. I just think it was a stupid kid who didn't realize he could have easily killed someone.
The moral of the tale is make sure your kids test their brakes every time they mount up. Bit like checking your safety - you can't do often enough.

Last edited by Johno59; 11-12-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 12:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,616 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I do an ABC Quick Check every time I mount a bike. I made it an engrained habit.
You're always going against the grain, Tom, but an ingrained habit might be more, uh, habitual.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-12-19, 12:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Yeh, I thought as much as well. But the daughter is a 95 lb, vegan gynecologist, who literally wouldn't hurt a fly. I just think it was a stupid kid who didn't realize he could have easily killed someone.
The moral of the tale is make sure your kids test their brakes every time they mount up. Bit like checking your safety - you can't do often enough.
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but this just doesn't track for me...stealing brake pads? It reads like an attack or maybe a prank? A rather vicious one. I'd really report this to campus security and see if there are cameras.

I'd assume if the person had a tool to loosen brake pads, they could also pull other parts that would be easier to sell/more valuable.

Anyway - best wishes, and glad she's OK! I've had brakes fail while riding (once with a three seat tandem!!!), and it is NOT fun.
Old 11-12-19, 12:26 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
This whole thing depends on how bad the area is.. I've no idea, but I'd do a eighties ladies $50 mtb if its sooper bad. Low top tube discount.. and paint schemes just as rad!

I had bikes stolen at college. After a $20 murray bmx went missing I gave up. Just walked.

Last edited by riva; 11-12-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 12:38 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but this just doesn't track for me...stealing brake pads? It reads like an attack or maybe a prank? A rather vicious one. I'd really report this to campus security and see if there are cameras.

I'd assume if the person had a tool to loosen brake pads, they could also pull other parts that would be easier to sell/more valuable.

Anyway - best wishes, and glad she's OK! I've had brakes fail while riding (once with a three seat tandem!!!), and it is NOT fun.
The police were pretty shocked as to the implications of what could have happened. But they said it wasn't the first time that week they'd heard of such. Perhaps a YouTube site depicting mad cyclists FAILs running red lights at the bottom of a hill was their depressing explanation of the culprits MO.
I spoke to the world-famous LBS owner and he got really upset. He'd never heard of stealing brake pads but he furiously recounted how some kid walked into his shop and took down his personally bespoke built commuter off the display wall and rode off on it. So nothing on God's good earth surprised him. Poor guy was still furiously upset by his loss.
Be prepared, it only takes a few seconds to check your brakes and wheel nuts are secure

Last edited by Johno59; 11-12-19 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 10:06 PM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Agree w/equipping Jr w/ a beater bike

Originally Posted by Unapomer
I second what seypat said, that bike is thief bait!!
If no other choice besides a U lock then I'd go w/ two Pragmasis U locks (or Laclede vs. Pragmasis security chain w/ higher grade shrouded shackle padlock).
Old 11-13-19, 06:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My daughter transferred to Northwestern this Fall, and I bought her a 2004 Fuji Osaka in great shape for two hundred bucks, put new B&M lights on it, and gave her the same master u-lock I used when I went to NU thirty years ago.
Old 11-13-19, 06:05 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I use two u-locks. One for locking a wheel and the frame to the rack, and the other for locking the other wheel to the frame. It's easier than a u-lock and cable.
I go to a school with tons of bikes on campus (70k+ students) and bike theft here is rampant. It's not really the lock that's going to deter theft. It's the situational stuff. For example, I never leave my bike overnight anywhere, and when I lock it up I do it in a place that gets some decent foot traffic. When I can I use the bike lockers or the valet service. I also tend to lock it up in the middle of other bikes. Doing this I don't think anyone has noticed the Dura Ace 7400 parts on it. People just tend to think it's just another college kid bike.
Likes For ltokuno:
Old 11-14-19, 06:04 AM
Johno59

Central London

Originally Posted by ltokuno
I use two u-locks. One for locking a wheel and the frame to the rack, and the other for locking the other wheel to the frame. It's easier than a u-lock and cable.
I go to a school with tons of bikes on campus (70k+ students) and bike theft here is rampant. It's not really the lock that's going to deter theft. It's the situational stuff. For example, I never leave my bike overnight anywhere, and when I lock it up I do it in a place that gets some decent foot traffic. When I can I use the bike lockers or the valet service. I also tend to lock it up in the middle of other bikes. Doing this I don't think anyone has noticed the Dura Ace 7400 parts on it. People just tend to think it's just another college kid bike.
I was having a pint in the middle of London just before midnight and this guy came up and unlocked his really nice bike.

He pulled a nice brown Brooks from his bag and remounted it. He then unlocked the front wheel from where it had been locked to the rear frame, took out the front skewer from his bag and mounted it on the forks. He then unlocked the rear rest of the bike from the post and returned the rear skewer thru the rear axle and secured it.

He straightened the handlebars and tightened them. Then a pair of pedals where mounted, lights, camera action. Good to Go. It took him less than five minutes.

I spoke to him briefly about his routine and he said that because of theft he was now unisureable and coz he refused to ride a beater the hassle was necessary, but it had worked for over a year and was definitely worth from every aspect.
Old 11-14-19, 06:32 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
I remember my bike in college (1988-1992)- it made it through. Lots of good memories. Just restored it, but it also got a lot of abuse/ outdoors/dings/ wear/etc. I remember getting to college my freshmen year, on my first day having to lock the bike outside, where it promptly got drenched in a late summer downpour, and I felt helpless that I couldn't bring it in.

I remember taking the seat/seatpost out so it wouldn't get stolen. Not only would rain go straight down the seatpost, I had to walk around with a silly seat. Eventually, I left the seat/seatpost on the bike, where it got stolen.

I also remember several other people on campus who had their bikes stolen. There was always that element of stress.

I'd say, either mentally be ready to let the bianchi "go" and be cool with that decision, or craiglist him a bike for "his" adventures. Maybe, 30 years from now, he can restore "his" ride- being the bianchi, or whatever he gets on CL.

Last edited by dualresponse; 11-14-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 10:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Another idea: Equip your son with two bikes. I had my new pride and joy stolen from me in my sophomore year in college. My roommate loaned me the bike he wasn't using. It created an appreciation for beater bikes. I soon replaced the pride and joy with a fine bike which I rode on weekends and didn't lock up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-19, 11:48 AM
dylanschaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dualresponse
I remember my bike in college (1988-1992)- it made it through. Lots of good memories. Just restored it, but it also got a lot of abuse/ outdoors/dings/ wear/etc. I remember getting to college my freshmen year, on my first day having to lock the bike outside, where it promptly got drenched in a late summer downpour, and I felt helpless that I couldn't bring it in.
Yes, I remember my first bike at college (1993-1997) too. Sadly that I didn't have enough time for riding because a lack of time. But I never regret of studying at college, to be honest. Everything was fine except for the lack of time. Those days were pretty damn good.

Last edited by dylanschaw; 11-15-19 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 12:13 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I've mentioned this before...my Motorola Merckx, with Campy Record/Delta brakes...was once locked outside on a campus for 3 months, with a lower level ubolt that's no where near as good as the Evolution...and it survived.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, overnight I could see.....but three months????
Old 11-14-19, 12:19 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jadocs
Due to unforeseen circumstances, overnight I could see.....but three months????
Don't ask me...it wasn't my bike when that happened.

My GUESS is that a kid got his dad's bike. Whether inherited, handed down...I don't know. I do know that the frame was sold by an equipment manager at one point, and ended up at a shop in Wiss. That shop was sold and the current owners knew nothing about it and were distinctly disinterested.

This is conjecture, but I think it's good conjecture...

When I got the bike, the brake pads were fubar and he used Shimano cables with campy ergo levers. They were jammed in the brakes and the bike didn't function. I SUSPECT what happened is that the kid ended up with a bike that wasn't appropriate for his use, and which cost more to maintain than he wanted to spend. When he used the wrong cables, he got frustrated and abandoned it.

I believe I've (mostly) done right by the bike, though I kept it campy rather than restoring it to 7400. I do have all the bits to make that happen, including the Wolber Profil rims and avocet ti saddle. I tried to contact Steve Bauer about it once, but he never returned messages.
Old 11-14-19, 12:24 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Don't ask me...it wasn't my bike when that happened.

My GUESS is that a kid got his dad's bike. Whether inherited, handed down...I don't know. I do know that the frame was sold by an equipment manager at one point, and ended up at a shop in Wiss. That shop was sold and the current owners knew nothing about it and were distinctly disinterested.

This is conjecture, but I think it's good conjecture...

When I got the bike, the brake pads were fubar and he used Shimano cables with campy ergo levers. They were jammed in the brakes and the bike didn't function. I SUSPECT what happened is that the kid ended up with a bike that wasn't appropriate for his use, and which cost more to maintain than he wanted to spend. When he used the wrong cables, he got frustrated and abandoned it.

I believe I've (mostly) done right by the bike, though I kept it campy rather than restoring it to 7400. I do have all the bits to make that happen, including the Wolber Profil rims and avocet ti saddle. I tried to contact Steve Bauer about it once, but he never returned messages.
Oh ok...yeah I couldn't imagine someone on BF doing that on purpose with such a nice bike.
Old 11-14-19, 12:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jadocs
Oh ok...yeah I couldn't imagine someone on BF doing that on purpose with such a nice bike.
I would not leave one of Steve Bauer's bikes outside.
Old 11-14-19, 12:46 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Spotted in the wild...

Old 11-14-19, 01:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Mehhh!...... just forget about the plan to lend your kid the nice Bianchi......and avoid all the stress and worrying.
Just take a trip to the big box store and buy a cheap, welded aluminum, town bike beater or even an adult scooter to get him started.
If he wants a fancier bike, he can save up his allowance or work at campus and also be responsible for its security by buying his own lock and figuring out for himself how to keep the bike safe. That's what my brothers and I, and a lot of our college cycling friends did.... it should still work for college kids today.
Anyway, it will be a good learning experience before he gets to be responsible for bigger stuff like a car, house and family....

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-15-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 05:26 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts
I've mentioned this before...my Motorola Merckx, with Campy Record/Delta brakes...was once locked outside on a campus for 3 months, with a lower level ubolt that's no where near as good as the Evolution...and it survived.
"Hey let's steal this bike...nah, I heard those brakes suck."
Old 11-14-19, 07:21 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I have seen this far too many times on campus.

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Spotted in the wild...

Old 11-15-19, 06:01 AM
Johno59

Looks brand new
Old 11-15-19, 12:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Yeah, cable locks are a joke. I used a cable cutter through one, and it was like a pair of scissors going through paper.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.