Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are taillights necessary for daytime riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Are taillights necessary for daytime riding?

Old 04-12-20, 03:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
In heavy overcast, or close to dawn or dusk, lights are probably a good idea.

Bright sunshine? Bah, why bother? If you're worried about visibility, go for bright jerseys, jackets, or vests.

I haven't repeated this story for a year or two, which supports my point. Some years ago I was on a group tour. One rider had on bright green rain suit. I saw him as soon as I came around the curve at the bottom of a long hill, maybe a quarter mile away from him. I was riding slightly faster than he, so I slowly caught up. I was within perhaps 100 yards when I started seeing his seven (!) PB Super Flashes, all pulsing. Now some will point out that the newer versions put out twice as much light. Applying 1/r^2, I should have been able to see him from 144 yards back; still much nearer than the quarter mile away when the brightly colored garments caught my eye, under a tree canopy, and overcast and drizzling.

Go for the bright colors in your clothing, instead.
Old 04-12-20, 05:59 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for the Cygolite hotshot 150. Great battery life, options for flash pattern/brightness, weatherproof, and very visible in full sun.
Likes For blackieoneshot:
Old 04-12-20, 07:02 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I do NOT KNOW... BUT, when I put my lights on (flashing front and flashing rear,) I did seem to notice, some difference. People passing me, were passing me farther, away, and people pulling out in front of me stopped pulling out in front of me as much... JMO as I think about the differences since I put those lights on... again JMO...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 04-13-20, 12:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I want to be visible so yes flashing white in front and flashing red in back. The difference in visibility is huge.

I also drive with my lights on (not just DRL) at all times

I can see for myself the how much easier it see cyclist with lights and cars even in bright son with lights and on gray days bikes disappear

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-17-20, 06:31 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I don't think they are necessary for daytime but I do use them on the road.

Cygolite metro 550 on the front and cygolite hotshot 150 most of the time.
Old 04-17-20, 06:33 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Wondering

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I want to be visible so yes flashing white in front and flashing red in back. The difference in visibility is huge.

I also drive with my lights on (not just DRL) at all times

I can see for myself the how much easier it see cyclist with lights and cars even in bright son with lights and on gray days bikes disappear
I am not trying to be a smart Alec but I was wondering why you run your headlights on your car with daytime running lights ?
Old 04-18-20, 11:28 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I am not trying to be a smart Alec but I was wondering why you run your headlights on your car with daytime running lights ?
good question, and not smart alec.......becuase I want the tail lights on also for that visibility.

driving with lights on was something my dad insisted on when I learned to drive in montana......you could see cars with headlights on literally miles earlier in dayight in many cases than you could cars with headlights off. Makes a difference in places where you have lot's of 2 lane roads and have to move to the other lane to pass

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-18-20, 12:15 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

squirtdad thanks for the explanation. My brother in law used too but I am not sure if he still does run his lights all the time.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 04-18-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 05:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I never ride without a light set up....ever.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 04-18-20, 05:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
You can never know if your taillight works (to prevent a collision). You can only know if it does not work.

I use one pretty much all the time. I don't know how much difference it makes. But the cost is so low to own one and run it that it seems like good sense. I also use a headlight whenever I ride, for all the same reasons.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-18-20, 05:29 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I think it works. A co-worker driving into work said he saw me 1/4 mi away.
Old 04-18-20, 09:11 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Well I guess that all depends if you think distracted driving is a problem.
Old 04-19-20, 01:33 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
good question, and not smart alec.......becuase I want the tail lights on also for that visibility.

driving with lights on was something my dad insisted on when I learned to drive in montana......you could see cars with headlights on literally miles earlier in dayight in many cases than you could cars with headlights off.
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
squirtdad thanks for the explanation. My brother in law used too but I am not sure if he still does run his lights all the time.
It's very common around here in the Netherlands for cars to ride with their headlights on. Much better visibility than daylight running lights though modern LED lights have mostly solved that issue.
In Scandinavia cars are required to do so at all times and most cars cannot even switch them off.

I remember riding in Southern Spain during summer with headlights on and other drivers signaling me my lights were on so it was definitely less common around there.

As such I can imagine it being rare if you go even further down south like California. Keep in mind that everything below Southern Spain is basically Northern Africa and the Sahara. And that is the same latitude as any state in the US below Oregon or Ohio.

I drove in North Carolina last year and found drivers to have really weird customs when it comes to lights anyway. Like turning on your fog lights in a heavy downpour (which will only blind people, as such it is prohibited in most of Europe) or turning on their alarm lights in the same conditions while still doing 60+ MPH. Is it preventive lights in case they crash?
And cars without rear window wipers.
Old 04-19-20, 03:59 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Well I guess that all depends if you think distracted driving is a problem.
Personally, not only do I think it is, I know it is.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-19-20 at 04:16 PM.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 04-19-20, 11:39 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Think it really depends.

My commute used to be 9 miles of MUP bookended by roughly 0.5 miles of residential. I always turned on my light to the lowest flash or slow strobe or even steady so as not to blind other MUP users behind me, but it was far more important to have a headlight on the street since cars are going only slightly faster than me and have plenty of time to see me, however the same couldn’t be said about those turning into my path in front of me.

I also commute now by bike to multiple places for work, and in those more traffic heavy roads I definitely use a bright but slow flash still, I actually find drivers give me more room. As a driver I think the mentality here is that if it’s a crazy flash, no one wants to stay behind you for long and drivers can tend to get annoyed/aggressive.

if I’m riding in a peloton or group ride then it’s low slow strobe or nothing at all, the pack itself is visible to vehicles.
Old 04-20-20, 12:15 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperatore
All useful information, thank you.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm concerned about the super bright blinking, flashing taillight. Is this not a risk for epileptics? I'm a teacher and I have a student who's extremely sensitive to this, has a condition and faints to any strobe/flashing lights. So, obviously there will be others like this. Just a bit concerned about this. I suppose I don't have to use the blinking lights and just keep on the steady bright light and that should be fine.
I don't think active epileptics are allowed to drive.
Likes For ups:
Old 04-20-20, 05:24 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Been using front and rear lights for the last 3 years. Never ride without them.
Likes For jsilvia:
Old 04-20-20, 09:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by ups
I don't think active epileptics are allowed to drive.
Yeah, we're more worried about the drunks and texters. Let's not buy trouble.

Although technically if you are drunk or texting you are also not allowed to drive.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-20-20, 09:18 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Some people ride in city traffic. Other people ride on off road trails. Those on off road trails don't need lights in the day time.
Old 04-20-20, 10:02 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Some people ride in city traffic. Other people ride on off road trails. Those on off road trails don't need lights in the day time.
And some people ride in city traffic to get to off road trails.
Old 04-20-20, 10:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I never run lights during the day and don't use blinking lights ever because they are obnoxious. Several of my bikes have dynamo lighting so I just have to flip a switch for the lights to come on, but I leave them off because they are unnecessary. On my one mile commute to the train station I don't use lights at all. I just wear one of those reflective vests like construction workers wear. Don't pass trucks or buses on the right and you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-20, 12:55 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Tail lights: I say "yes" necessary if only because commuting, we can get caught riding twilight or dark working late, a forgotten meeting, errands, or unusual emergency. We don't necessarily need them on at all times (but why not anyway?)
Old 04-24-20, 06:21 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
For commuting where I'm sharing a lane with a 2000+ lbs vehicle, a bright flashing red light in the rear is a requirement. I don't want some driver roll up and over me because they couldn't "SEE" me, especially during the early morning hours when cager zombies are still waking up and there's heavy early morning fog. My commute (when I was doing it post kung flu) was partially on main roads, with some residential and MUT mixed in. The road portions always had commuters, buses and large commercial trucks. I feel more at ease with a red blinky light protecting my backside.
Old 04-24-20, 06:27 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Forgot to mention, now that we're on a work from home, I recently transferred a red blinky light onto my mountain bike so I could get to the local trail which is 10 miles from home with a small portion of that on regular streets. Parks are officially closed meaning you can't drive to recreate there but it's allowed if you can get there by foot or bike. I turn it off when I'm riding the trails and turn it back on for the trip back home.
Old 04-24-20, 10:00 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
A PBSF was the go-to choice 10 years ago. Now I use much brighter lights, front and rear, during the day. I use flash mode, the slowest setting on lights with multiple flash modes. With so many distracted drivers nowadays it's no guarantee they'll see you even with daytime flashers.
Likes For tFUnK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.