Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Orbea day, how did I do?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 12:03 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Just acquired this Orca a couple days ago and took it on a short 20-miler today. Not sure what year but I’ll be contacting Orbea to find out. Came with all Ultegra group set, American Classic alloy wheels, new Continental 4-Season tires, Fizik saddle, Thomson Masterpiece seat post , Brotnager carbon drop bars and 3T stem. Rode like a dream and all for $660. How did I do?
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-25-20, 12:09 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I personally would say you did good. But I am bias towards Orbea, I absolutely LOVE my Avant.
Old 04-25-20, 03:18 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Looks fine to me (and sounds like a nice ride), but I personally have no idea of its value. However, you seem pleased with what you received, and a deal where you are pleased with the purchase, and was the seller was pleased with the price? If both are yes you completed the perfect deal. The cheapest deal is not the be all and end all. The best deal (to me) is when both parties walk away satisfied, but I have not been 'Amazonified' to want every thing as cheap as it can be.

I do not like to be the piker trying to get the last penny off, and as I try to price an item to sell, I do not like to be bartered on price by a buyer like its a bazaar. What the audience thinks should be immaterial to you.
Old 04-25-20, 03:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Post a photo in the Hot or Not thread in the Road forum if you want a definitive answer.
Old 04-25-20, 08:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Post a photo in the Hot or Not thread in the Road forum if you want a definitive answer.
But not the photo he used above.
Old 04-25-20, 09:11 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Nice bike! If you're happy with it, then you got a great deal, no matter what others think.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-25-20, 01:57 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
If the frame is solid and it doesn't need any major work, I think you got an excellent deal.
Old 04-25-20, 02:28 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Certainly way more bike than you’d get for $660 if you bought new. There’s no deal like a decent used bike - the depreciation on this stuff is insane (but a special thanks going out to all you new buyers who keep the used market topped up!) Looks like you did well.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-25-20, 07:01 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
A really good deal. This elite-level bike from a few years back has some highly desirable features that are getting harder to find on road bikes:
  • External cable routing. Internal routing: an unnecessary PITA.
  • Shimano shifters with the exposed cables coming out of the sides. Hard to tell, but 6700 Ultegra? Among the best Shimano STI shifters ever - right up there with Dura-Ace 7800. When Shimano put the cables under the bar wrap, it caused a bunch of extra tight corners, friction, and degraded shifting quality. Plus the latest STI shifters eat cables.
  • Threaded bottom bracket shell - if you are lucky. If it is a press-fit, brace yourself for creaky bottom bracket hell.
  • No disc brakes. Discs: heavy, fussy, hard to service, and ultimately unnecessary on a road bike.

This bike should be better than the very most expensive bikes sold today. Replace all the cables, housing, chain and cassette. They are disposable wear items. Then enjoy!
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 04-25-20, 07:53 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
A really good deal. This elite-level bike from a few years back has some highly desirable features that are getting harder to find on road bikes:
  • External cable routing. Internal routing: an unnecessary PITA.
  • Shimano shifters with the exposed cables coming out of the sides. Hard to tell, but 6700 Ultegra? Among the best Shimano STI shifters ever - right up there with Dura-Ace 7800. When Shimano put the cables under the bar wrap, it caused a bunch of extra tight corners, friction, and degraded shifting quality. Plus the latest STI shifters eat cables.
  • Threaded bottom bracket shell - if you are lucky. If it is a press-fit, brace yourself for creaky bottom bracket hell.
  • No disc brakes. Discs: heavy, fussy, hard to service, and ultimately unnecessary on a road bike.

This bike should be better than the very most expensive bikes sold today. Replace all the cables, housing, chain and cassette. They are disposable wear items. Then enjoy!
The shifters are Ultegra but not sure what series, shifts like butter 😎
Old 04-25-20, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
The picture is off. Always always always take a picture of the bike properly. Driveside out with chain on the big ring at the front and smallest cog at the back, cranks at 3'o clock valve stems lined up at noon and get rid of various bags and bottles and clutter. Also make sure the bike is fully in the shot. Be proud of your bike and show it off right.

Ultegra has long been my favorite groupset, it seems to usually look better than Dura-Ace with similar enough performance and maybe a hint more weight. I will say it is hard to beat modern Di2 stuff but the old stuff in good condition is fantastic.

I would certainly replace wear items and especially upgrade cables/housing and brake pads to the highest end possible. It can make a world of difference without costing a ton of money. I prefer the Elite Link system from Jagwire but the Pro kit is also good and I really love SwissStop pads (SRAM also uses SwissStop if you have trouble finding it) It is those little things that can really make bigger improvements.

I would disagree on disc brakes aside maybe from weight concerns they aren't fussy and hard to service if you know what you are doing.I have had plenty of fussy rim brakes (mostly cantilevers and couple v-brakes but still). My biggest hassle with internal cable routing was on an old 80s Trek 520 the rear derailleur cable was a pain to get in and routed correctly and it took a touch of time removing some old liner from my Klein frame but other than that not so bad. Though sometimes it can be tricky but plenty of neat options on the market to help do it. Will agree 110% on threaded bottom brackets though, press fit no thanks.
Old 04-26-20, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But not the photo he used above.
Are you tying to take some of the fun out of it?
Old 04-26-20, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Why is the saddle jammed so far forward?
Old 04-26-20, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why is the saddle jammed so far forward?
There is that (why not a non-setback post instead?).. and the photo supplied it's difficult to tell, but it appears that the stem might be really short (50-60mm?). Bike was obviously put together by its prior owner since the parts aren't matching brands, partly chosen because the frame was probably too big for the prior owner. So, for the OP, if the frame is the right size for you, you might have a little tweaking to do revert the bike to fit correctly (eg. longer stem?)