Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Can anyone guess the size of this 1996ish Marin Bobcat Trail?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 09:25 AM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Hi-

I'm considering purchasing a used 1996(?) Marin Bobcat Trail I've found on Craigslist for $50. I'm interested in riding some mellow local trails. It appears to be in in good condition other than needing air the tires. My main concern is it may be too tall. The seller doesn't know the size though the original rider was 6'2. I'm 6' and normal ride a 56cm or 58cm road bike. I'm not familiar with mountain bike sizing and I can't tell from the photo what size this is. Can anyone tell me what size this bike is?

Thanks!

What size is this bike? I found if for $50 on craigslist but concerned it may be too tall.
Old 04-27-20, 07:34 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
For $50..I'd look at it and give it a spin if you can. Looks like a nice bike. I wouldn't wait too long as nice bikes at very good prices disappear fast.

If I were to guess at size..21 or 22 inch. Here's a similar vintage bike that's said to be a 22 inch frame(look at the headtube length as the easiest indicator).
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/b...113664840.html

Here's a 24 inch Marin hardtail
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...110141538.html

A 20.5 inch Stumpjumper
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...098208205.html

Said to be a 19 inch
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bi...107154980.html

In searching for a '96 Bobcat, Retrobike has the catalog. The one above doesn't appear to be a '96 due to color, but, assuming the bike didn't change much in that era, they say the largest frame they made was a 20.5 inch. You could take the chainstay length (16.75 inches for all sizes) and use that as a scale in the pic to measure the seatpost or top tube length (compare to geometry charts in the catalog). Or assume the saddle length is 270mm (common) and use that as a scale in the epic.

Catalogues | Marin Archive | Retrobike
Old 04-27-20, 07:44 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Hmm, vintage Marin 26er... looks like it's gonna be 19" or maybe 20.5" Hard to tell from just a picture. Best to take a tape measure and measure the seat tube.

Also, odd place for a pic- an attic?
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 04-27-20, 11:48 PM
MrAwesome

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I had a Marin Hawk Hill of the same year. Mine was 19.5 but that one looks a little bigger, but it's been 20 years since I saw my Marin so it's hard to remember. I'd say it's either a 19.5 or whatever the next size up was (I think about 20.5 or 21).
Old 04-28-20, 06:47 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I'm going to guess it's an XL frame, based on old catalogs, this was likely 20.5. I have large 19" Trek from that era and it's a tad smaller in the headtube.
You should be fine, older geometry won't have the long top tubes like today's bikes and should have sufficient toptube clearance. What type of riding are you planning to do?
Also $50 for a bike in that condition is more than fair.
Old 04-28-20, 04:40 PM
univega.duder

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I can't thank all of you enough for your advice. @fishboat thank you for the suggestions about scaling the bike to the chain stay - clever thinking.

Sadly when I went to make arrangements to purchase the bike it had already been sold. It did seem like a good deal. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled another used mountain bike.

I'm riding single track in southern Maine. It's fairly flat through there are quite a bit of roots and rocks to contend with. I wondering if it would be more enjoyable to be riding on something more contemporary with a suspension fork? My last experience mountain biking was on twenty years ago on a rigid univega - it seems mountain bike technology has changed dramatically in that time.