Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike with Cracked Frame

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike with Cracked Frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 03:37 PM
edwinxu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike with Cracked Frame

So, I sold a guy an Iron Horse bike 10 days ago, and he took it to a shop. Ten days have elapsed from the sale to him emailing me about there being a crack.
The shop said the frame is cracked and he wants a refund. It was a face to face sale; he test rode it and all.

I did specifically say to him there were no cracks in the frame (and to my knowledge at the time I sold it to him, there was none. No trickery intended on my part).
He intends to take this to British Coumbia's (canada) small court claims. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of stuff.

Seems like I cant post pictures; I cant tell if they're new or old. The crack is located on the rear triangle, right beside the front shifter

Last edited by edwinxu; 05-14-20 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-13-20, 03:45 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
In order to avoid having your dogma run over by his karma, I'd give him a refund.

Now, if you want to be a stickler about it, then go to the bike shop and have them show you. If there is any sign of corrosion, then it is not a new crack. If it looks fresh, then it's fresh. Proceed accordingly, but prepare for a fight.

Life is too short to fight over wee things.
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 05-13-20, 04:08 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Return his money, it is the right thing to do.
Old 05-13-20, 04:24 PM
edwinxu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Return his money, it is the right thing to do.
I mean he could have crashed the bike or whatever and I have no way of knowing. I mean he seemed like a decent guy and probably wouldn't do that but isn't a bike sold a bike sold? It is second hand after all
Old 05-13-20, 04:25 PM
edwinxu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I offered him 50 dollars as a discount for him to get it welded
Old 05-13-20, 04:55 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’d go check it out at the bike shop and have look at the cracks. He may have crashed it. Did you look the bike over really good before you sold it?

When ever I sell anything it’s always where is as is. I also have the buyer sign paper on it as well.
Old 05-13-20, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
You can't have gotten much for an Iron Horse. If it's really worth your time, look at and photograph the crack. As pointed out above, you can probably tell if it's old or new. If it's obviously old, you need to give him a refund. If you can't tell, you are probably safe to call his bluff.
Old 05-13-20, 06:25 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinxu
I mean he could have crashed the bike or whatever and I have no way of knowing. I mean he seemed like a decent guy and probably wouldn't do that but isn't a bike sold a bike sold? It is second hand after all
Ask yourself "If was the buyer and not the seller would I still feel the same?"

The bike just can't be welded, unfortunately this isn't how it works. Most likely the Iron Horse is aluminum and any repair would have to be heat treated after the welding process. Plus where ever the weld is the paint is going to be destroyed. Even if it was steel, that brand is not worth fixing.

You came on this forum to ask opinions but you aren't liking what you are hearing. Never ask a question where you don't want hear an answer that isn't to your liking.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-13-20, 06:59 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Ask yourself "If was the buyer and not the seller would I still feel the same?"

The bike just can't be welded, unfortunately this isn't how it works. Most likely the Iron Horse is aluminum and any repair would have to be heat treated after the welding process. Plus where ever the weld is the paint is going to be destroyed. Even if it was steel, that brand is not worth fixing.

You came on this forum to ask opinions but you aren't liking what you are hearing. Never ask a question where you don't want hear an answer that isn't to your liking.
Every time I've sold anything expensive the buyer has tried to scam me in some way. It's a used bike and chances are unlikely if it lasted this long that the crack is serious, if it is even preexisting at all. Actually seeing what he is complaining about would help. But this is a good reminder why you might want to take detailed pics of something before selling. Very suspicious to me that a crack the seller never noticed was noticed this quickly by the buyer. Also suspicious he has it in the shop already, could be from a crash.
Old 05-13-20, 07:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Refund his money.
Old 05-13-20, 07:16 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
First, do you live in British Columbia? If not what would he have to do to collect from you?
Second, was it a face to face sale?
Third, why did he take it to the shop? For the crack or something else.
Fourth, how long after you sold it did he take it to the shop? (Next day is one thing, a week later another).
Fifth, where is the crack and what is the nature of it?
Sixth, I wouldn't offer him any sort of partial refund. Either the crack was there and you should return his money and take your loss, or determine it wasn't there when you sold it and it is not your problem.

Next time take pictures and have the person sign off it is being sold "as is". That they can have it looked at before buying.

Btw- how much money was the bike sold for?

Good luck.

Last edited by stevel610; 05-13-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 07:22 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Very suspicious to me that a crack the seller never noticed was noticed this quickly by the buyer. Also suspicious he has it in the shop already, could be from a crash.
A lot less suspicious than he crashed hard enough to crack the frame without leaving any marks on the bike*. Also the crack was found by the shop, not the buyer. Not suspicious he has it in the shop so soon. He probably took it in to be checked over and that’s why they found the crack.

*I assume the bike doesn’t show signs of a crash. If it does, then the new owner should have to prove his crash didn’t cause the damage.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-13-20, 07:34 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I did specifically say to him there were no cracks in the frame (and to my knowledge at the time I sold it to him, there was. No trickery intended on my part).
Wait a second, here you are saying you DID know there was a crack in the frame.
Old 05-13-20, 07:37 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by asgelle
A lot less suspicious than he crashed hard enough to crack the frame without leaving any marks on the bike*. Also the crack was found by the shop, not the buyer. Not suspicious he has it in the shop so soon. He probably took it in to be checked over and that’s why they found the crack.

*I assume the bike doesn’t show signs of a crash. If it does, then the new owner should have to prove his crash didn’t cause the damage.
it makes sense to take it to the shop the next day to get it checked out, not ten days later. This is why it's very obvious bs. If it were a real problem then it would have been found out right away or by the seller, not a week and a half later. The guy is also just claiming it was found by the shop, which even if true means nothing if the guy caused it. For all we know the guy could have swapped out the frame for that matter.

I had a guy buy a cheap car from me years ago then immediately drives it to california where it broke down a month later then he wants me to pay for towing it back here and to give him a full refund. The car cost less than a thousand and the problem was very minor yet this guy expects to undo a deal a month later. Probably cost almost as much to rent a car that long lol
Old 05-13-20, 07:47 PM
asgelle

it makes sense to take it to the shop the next day to get it checked out, not ten days later.
That’s not the timeline the OP described.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-13-20, 07:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

it makes sense to take it to the shop the next day to get it checked out, not ten days later.
"So, I sold a guy an Iron Horse bike 10 days ago, and he took it to a shop."
All we know is he sold it 10 days before he posted here.

The buyer could of taken it directly to the shop and it took them 5 days to look at it, 2 days to email the seller and 3 days for the seller to post here.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-13-20, 07:58 PM
Oneder
Banned.

That’s not the timeline the OP described.
So, I sold a guy an Iron Horse bike 10 days ago, and he took it to a shop.
The shop said the frame is cracked and he wants a refund.
Seems obvious to me.
Old 05-13-20, 08:00 PM
asgelle

Seems obvious to me.
Then GlennR can straighten you out.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-13-20, 08:00 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by GlennR
"So, I sold a guy an Iron Horse bike 10 days ago, and he took it to a shop."
All we know is he sold it 10 days before he posted here.

The buyer could of taken it directly to the shop and it took them 5 days to look at it, 2 days to email the seller and 3 days for the seller to post here.
Why would the poster wait ten days to ask for advice then? Makes even less sense than the idea this guy will take it to the shop ten days later purely by chance and find a problem, or that he sat on the bike ten days then suddenly realized getting it checked out by the shop would be a good idea.
Old 05-13-20, 08:02 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Then GlennR can straighten you out.
You said already that was not the timeline, not that there is some chance it's not the timeline due to language ambiguity. But it's pretty obvious that the obvious case is what happened. No one would wait ten days to ask advice on a forum any more than someone gets a bike checked out by the shop ten days after buying it.
Old 05-13-20, 08:03 PM
asgelle

Why would the poster wait ten days to ask for advice then? Makes even less sense than the idea this guy will take it to the shop ten days later purely by chance and find a problem, or that he sat on the bike ten days then suddenly realized getting it checked out by the shop would be a good idea.
This brings to mind a certain scene in Shawshank Redemption.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-13-20, 08:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

According to my made up timeline, the seller didn't know till after 7 days and then waited 3 days to post here.

Again, you can make up your own timeline, but it's just a guess.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-13-20, 08:43 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by GlennR
According to my made up timeline, the seller didn't know till after 7 days and then waited 3 days to post here.

Again, you can make up your own timeline, but it's just a guess.
Language is ambiguous at times but my assumption is the most logical one if you can even call it that I would say it's just taking language at face value without making up an elaborate backstory. Maybe add in a little time for back and forth communication. Thankfully the poster can just tell us what happened in detail and break the complete lack of suspense I feel at this imaginary controversy.
Old 05-13-20, 09:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Either you don't have any idea what welding costs and the process involved, or you are trying to pull one over on the guy.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-13-20, 09:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Thankfully the poster can just tell us what happened in detail
Might save someone from digging an even deeper hole This timeline obsession seems like an irrelevant distraction. We need to see the crack!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.