Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Parts Source?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Parts Source?

Old 05-03-20, 08:20 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have a good relationship with my LBS, and typically special order any non-stocked parts locally. I usually receive them more quickly than i would if ordered online, and don't have to pay shipping charges. Pricing on parts is typically about the same as online pricing, sometimes a bit less, actually. If you do a lot of this type of thing, give your LBS a shot. Shop owners are well aware of online parts distributers and pricing - i simply asked the owner to give me his best price on special orders, and trust that he will do so. If the owner is smart, this is a good low risk way to add revenue to the store, by ordering in parts that will not end up hanging on the wall, will be paid in full promptly, and keep a local customer coming back.
Old 05-03-20, 08:22 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
One of the things I learned from materials engineers who have posted on this forum is that springs do not fatigue if left under tension. What fatigues springs is going through cycles of tension and release.
I wish that were true but it's not. You can store loaded magazines for some time for example but not forever. There's more than one way for a spring to deform.

https://prepperswill.com/can-you-sto...final-verdict/
Old 05-03-20, 09:36 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you have the LBS cut the cables, just let them do the whole job. It is like if I got an oil change for my car and have the dealer drain the oil, but I replace the filter.... probably both of us in the pit.

You may look into a coop that lets you use their tools.

Either you have the tools and knowledge and do it yourself, or you don't and have the shop do it. Actually they should charge you more if you help them.

As for parts, yeah, just get a new brake, or get parts from a coop.
Old 05-04-20, 05:46 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Cheap price on parts.
Low labor rates.
Service done correctly and quality advice.

Pick two.
Old 05-04-20, 07:39 AM
ember1205

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I THINK I have that exact bar, with the shifters intact. However, mine is also a little rusty. Nothing that can't be sanded out, though. Let me know if you want them. It's probably only worth it if you have another reason to cross over the Sound.
Is the bar that you have painted or chrome? SRAM MRX shifters?

While I don't have a reason to cross the sound at the moment, that doesn't mean I won't be in that general vicinity not too far down the road...
Old 05-08-20, 06:40 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry, ember. I need to subscribe to this thread right after I send this post. That way I won't miss any more of your responses.

Truthfully, I need to look at the bar again to answer your question. It's dark and rainy out tonight and there are raccoons having a party in my yard, so if you're not in a hurry, I will do this tomorrow!
Old 05-13-20, 06:42 PM
ember1205

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, ember. I need to subscribe to this thread right after I send this post. That way I won't miss any more of your responses.

Truthfully, I need to look at the bar again to answer your question. It's dark and rainy out tonight and there are raccoons having a party in my yard, so if you're not in a hurry, I will do this tomorrow!
First setting I look for when I join a forum is auto-subscribe to threads I post in. lol
Old 05-13-20, 08:09 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by ember1205
First setting I look for when I join a forum is auto-subscribe to threads I post in. lol
Is there a setting for that here in the bike forums?
Old 05-13-20, 08:31 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Seems like there is, if I reply to a thread, I automatically get responses. The best way to get notified if they quote you when they reply, then I get a message that I have been quoted.
Old 05-13-20, 08:58 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Yes,I live in the boonies and would love to support my local shop but their current virus policy makes that impossible, so I wish them well but whatever happens is on them because they are more cautious, or whatever than the law requires.
Impossible or difficult? I understand that the whole thing is a hassle, but having a young (41 year old, trim, athletic) colleague succumb in two days gets your attention. And allow me to put this into perspective, as an older than 60 fellow. The LBS owner might be perfectly fine with risking their own health staying open to help customers, but what if that owner has an older, or sicker mom, data, uncle, aunt, brother, sister, spouse who is at lethal risk? Not asking you give up any deeply held convictions here, and if they're sitting in their shop with a loaded 12 gauge and the doors and windows duck-tape sealed your point is quite cogent. But if they're asking you to wear a mask just saying you might show your quality by showing some tolerance and understanding.

In this case, it costs you nearly nothing to call them up, tell them what you want, and ask if they can help. Then you can judge if you want to work with them.
Old 05-13-20, 11:31 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
If you need parts out of the 90’s for your GT Outpost, Google GT brochures, see what it had, and look on eBay.

John
Old 05-14-20, 05:36 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you need parts out of the 90’s for your GT Outpost, Google GT brochures, see what it had, and look on eBay.

John
Thanks. I also use the Bicycle Blue Book.
Old 05-14-20, 05:48 AM
tlema

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check on craigslist,you should get a good bargain there.
Old 05-14-20, 06:54 AM
ember1205

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.

User CP (User Control Panel) link on the top left, then scroll down until you see "Options" on the left and click that. Scroll down the page to the section that says "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and set the drop-down to "Instant e-mail notification" to get an email right away (other options to determine how often you wish to be notified by default). When you create a new thread or respond to an existing one, this is how you will be subscribed to it.
Old 05-14-20, 08:07 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Thanks. I also use the Bicycle Blue Book.
I don’t know if Bikepedia is still around. At one time it was a really good source. The other thing is that someone doesn’t have to follow the exact year/model.

Old parts can sometimes be odd. I was looking to pick up an older less expensive MTB rear derailleur and figured I’d look at an LX, turns out I found a similar XT for less. Part of the fun is the hunt.

The LBS has changed a lot over the years; probably out of necessity. Gone are the days of the old owner who was an encyclopedia, or scavenging around the shop and maybe finding something cool in a bargain bin. Most are like boutiques these days. I rarely step foot in one anymore.

John