Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car keys and skin suits?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Car keys and skin suits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 08:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I don't wear a skin suit. But I have used a strip of duct tape to tape the fob or the key to the top tube just behind the stem. I suppose on the underside in the shadow of the head tube would work just as well.

The rest of the keys get locked in the car. Usually under a floor mat or somewhere a smash & grab wouldn't think to check.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-18-20, 09:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
How about in a birthday suit?
Angry spider pocket...
Old 05-18-20, 09:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I ride with my keys clenched between my teeth.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-18-20, 09:23 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Key and ID should always go on your body. If there's an accident or incident you and your bike may be separated. Especially if the cyclist has a concussion. Some friends have had that unpleasant experience. So I don't keep my door key or ID in my seat bag.

A key, ID and emergency contact/insurance info don't take up much room or weight. A flat, waterproof wallet could be tucked inside the jersey, even with a skinsuit -- probably easier to reach from behind if it's a rear-zip skinsuit.

With bibs I usually use a small Velcro strap to attach my door key around a suspender. I don't notice it during a ride. I don't have a skinsuit, just a couple of aero jerseys with minimalist pockets. My mini-wallet with ID, VA health card and a $20 bill fit in the middle pocket along with a couple of gels, no problems.

And I tuck empty gel wrappers inside the hem of a bibs/shorts leg. Never even notice during the rest of the ride. I'd tuck a key and ID there too if it was secure but it'd fall out without a sort of pocket.

Heck, even a skinsuit should include a tiny pocket on the back for a key and ID. Can't imagine it would upset the aerodynamics much, if at all. Wind tunnel tests show some oddities, such as race numbers flapping around sometimes helping rather than hindering airflow over a rider.
Many skin suits do have small pockets inside them for things like this, but skin suits are designed for race use, not for training rides, so it makes sense that their pockets are extremely limited or non-existent. During a race, there is no need to carry ID, contact info, insurance info, etc. Racers are easily identified via race bib number, and emergency contact info is usually required as part of race registration.
Old 05-18-20, 02:43 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
What ever happened to fanny-packs?
Old 05-18-20, 02:45 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Tape your key fob to the inside of your crankarm, and tell everyone it's for your power meter
Old 05-18-20, 03:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
What ever happened to fanny-packs?
Around here the only folks who wear them are old guys who are afraid to go to the bookstore unarmed. They wear them pulled around to the side or front. True.
Old 05-18-20, 05:48 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Thats not always true. I had to help a guy when his got wet in his saddlebag. At least put it in a small ziplock bag before putting it in your saddlebag.
I mean, I can't say there is no chance for older or damaged fobs. I used to do environmental testing on automotive parts, I've got exactly zero issue with my fob getting wet in the manner that it would in a pocket in the rain.

That all said, I use a saddle bag, and my keys generally stay there.
Old 05-18-20, 06:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Your skinsuit doesn't have a race radio pocket?
Old 05-18-20, 06:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Many skin suits do have small pockets inside them for things like this, but skin suits are designed for race use, not for training rides, so it makes sense that their pockets are extremely limited or non-existent. During a race, there is no need to carry ID, contact info, insurance info, etc. Racers are easily identified via race bib number, and emergency contact info is usually required as part of race registration.
True, but folks like Phil Gaimon have probably influenced some riders to try skinsuits just for ordinary training rides or KOMs and PRs. Phil always has someone accompanying him so he doesn't need to worry about keys or ID.

Wind tunnel tests in some recent GCN videos (Ollie's attempt at the hour record) show skinsuits can significantly improve aerodynamics, even compared with snug fitting bibs and jerseys.

But even that edge won't significantly improve my times. I'd need a younger and stronger engine. I'll pack my key and ID on my person for all rides.
Old 05-18-20, 06:40 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I ride with my keys clenched between my teeth.
I'm soooo glad you said "teeth"
Likes For Happy Feet: