Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Tickr Fit dropouts - how about Polar H10?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Tickr Fit dropouts - how about Polar H10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 08:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Wahoo Tickr Fit dropouts - how about Polar OH1?

I've been going back to using an HRM for endurance rides (> 4 h, more typically 5-7 h), simply because it's more meaningful to me. LT power drops with time, while with the HRM I find it's easier to dial in the pacing - the HR doesn't change much until I start pushing the limits in duration (at which point it goes up just thinking about pedaling). I don't feel hungover the day after. For high intensity work the opposite applies and I see little point in a HRM, that's all about power and FTP is the dominant quantity. Anyway, I've been wearing my Wahoo Tickr Fit on the trainer over winter and it has worked perfectly in that setup, but outdoors I get regular dropouts. It's annoying, especially since I can't tell by feel what an endurance training effort is - until it's too late. Computer is a Wahoo Elemnt. (On the trainer it's a MacBook Pro - so I guess the difference is ANT vs BTLE, maybe.)

I've heard great things about Polar HRMs... Anyone here have experience with the OH1? Worth a shot? I would really prefer one with an arm band, suitable for upper arm use... (I have skinny cyclist arms. )

(Sorry, I originally posted this asking for the H10, but OH1 is what I was looking at. I had a tab open for the H10 and mixed up the products.)

Last edited by sfrider; 04-28-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 07:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm on my 2nd tickr fit because the first one started to drop out. I alternated the replacement and the original for a few weeks, and the first failed hard. The 2nd drops out sometimes if I wear it on the inside of my elbow over the pulse. If I wear it on the outside, nestled in by the ulna where it meets the humerus, I think, no dropouts.

I had an OH1 when it claimed 10-12 hours from a charge, and I never got more than 6 hours, which was less than 2 rides. Its battery had a limit on charges, too. It seemed accurate for the few weeks I had it.
Old 05-02-20, 04:04 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Oddly enough, I've been noticing something similar. I started using a Tickr (electrical chest strap, not optical arm strap) recently, both on my stationary and my bike. On the stationary, it's connecting to an iPad, on the bike, it's connecting to an iPhone, so the technology stack is very similar. The phone is much newer, so should in theory have less trouble. I haven't had any trouble with dropouts on the stationary, but out on the road, I've had one ride just…not pick up the HRM, and today's ride had long periods of dropouts that made up more than half the ride. I've been wondering where to lay responsibility for this.
Old 07-10-20, 11:24 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
To follow up, I ended up getting a Polar H10 - the ECG based chest strap. The optical Wahoo is fine for endurance rides where I just want to stay in Z2, and nothing much happens quickly. The H10 on the other hand is absolutely fantastic for high intensity workouts. Practically immediate response, which makes it perfect for HIIT workouts and things like 30-30 intervals. No dropouts or any other problems. Comfortable nylon fabric strap. Love it.
Old 07-10-20, 07:49 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Congratulations. My Tickr Fit is now experiencing dropouts on the road. The light just stops flashing for a while and then starts up again. I hope I get through this year with it.