Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2020 Bike Boom

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2020 Bike Boom

Old 07-13-20, 04:15 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
2020 Bike Boom

We refer a lot to the bike boom of the early 70s when many of our bikes were made. We are inarguably in the midst of a new bike boom this strange year.

I've been trawling the local classifieds a lot but there is a huge amount of competition. Still, I've been buying and selling more than ever. Bikes that I have completely rebuilt are going for a premium because bike shops have long waits for repairs and new bikes are sold out. Bike paths are teeming with activity and everyone seems to want help finding a bike or with bike repairs.

What are your stories? Maybe someone will read back on this in 50 years.
Old 07-13-20, 04:38 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
More e-bikes than ever in my area.
But I'm also seeing riders on a single electric wheel with foot pegs (i.e. no pedals).
5 riders yesterday
Wheels look to be 20" diameter with maybe 3-4" wide tires.
I can't stop thinking about B.C. comic character Thor whenever I see one.
But I wonder if any of these kids would even know the reference.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Last edited by SpeedofLite; 07-13-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 04:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Bike shops here are slammed with repaired on neglected or cheap bikes. Same shops are cleaned out of rolling stock BUT...

While I ride all day I don’t see a whole lot of bike traffic. Can’t figure it!
Old 07-13-20, 04:48 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That makes sense for the GTA, where a lot of people depend on public transportation but don't want to use it due to the epidemic and are resorting to cycling. However, in my small city, it's just the opposite, with bicycle business and 2nd hand prices plummeting. One shop closed in April, while the other only lasted until the end of May.

Edit: E-bikes make sense too, as they're a relatively low cost alternative to public transportation for the non-energetic person and you don't require insurance or a license.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-13-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 05:06 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That makes sense for the GTA, where a lot of people depend on public transportation but don't want to use it due to the epidemic and are resorting to cycling. However, in my small city, it's just the opposite, with bicycle business and 2nd hand prices plummeting. One shop closed in April, while the other only lasted until the end of May.

Edit: E-bikes make sense too, as they're a relatively low cost alternative to public transportation for the non-energetic person and you don't require insurance or a license.
That is interesting... I live along one of the preeminent bike trails in Toronto (granted one of the quieter arms of it) and there is regular, sometimes heavy cycle traffic by my living room window.

I've been hearing of accessory shortages. I just posted a couple bottle cages I had on a shelf and got near instant responses. Who knew $10 for a pair of basic aluminum cages was so desirable? On the other hand I am having a hard time ordering some parts like 27" tires and 3 speed ISO 590 tires for my rebuilds as they seem to come and disappear instantly.
Old 07-13-20, 05:18 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Yes, check out the shortage thread, it has legs!
Old 07-13-20, 05:28 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Bike shops here are slammed with repaired on neglected or cheap bikes. Same shops are cleaned out of rolling stock BUT...

While I ride all day I don’t see a whole lot of bike traffic. Can’t figure it!
I feel like I detected a significant bump in people out and about a couple of months(?) ago, particularly on urban low volume streets. More recently I feel the most popular trail near me is about normal, definitely crowded, but it's always been that way. Early in COVID restrictions it was charity event crowded. The other trail near me I always felt was very nice and sorely underutilized. It increased to steadily busy, now more busy than pre-COVID but below the peak. Not really seeing a significant bump on street any more. Perhaps the novelty is wearing off already and there will be a sell of in the fall.
Old 07-13-20, 05:49 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by gear64
I feel like I detected a significant bump in people out and about a couple of months(?) ago, particularly on urban low volume streets. More recently I feel the most popular trail near me is about normal, definitely crowded, but it's always been that way. Early in COVID restrictions it was charity event crowded. The other trail near me I always felt was very nice and sorely underutilized. It increased to steadily busy, now more busy than pre-COVID but below the peak. Not really seeing a significant bump on street any more. Perhaps the novelty is wearing off already and there will be a sell of in the fall.
Yes I am waiting for the first snowflakes to fall when the prospect of living room bikes in 400sqft condos for 6 months is suddenly very unappealing.
Old 07-13-20, 05:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
I'm in a small university town with 4500 full time residents. The (only) bike shop's revenue is up 60% and they've sold their years inventory of bikes. They can't get black bar tape for me. Good for them.
I think the main driver is the rails-to-trails gravel path that connects all the towns in the Annapolis Valley, over 110 kms of decent riding. Overcrowding is not an issue with the small population.There's very few athletic opportunities available to people anymore. It's not about commuting in this region, you need a car.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-13-20, 06:02 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,368 Times in 888 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Bike shops here are slammed with repaired on neglected or cheap bikes.
Guitar repair too - not accepting any more repairs until August. Thankfully, I have N+1....
Old 07-13-20, 06:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
the non-energetic person
Now isn't that a self fulfilling prophecy?!!
I love the euphemism for [insert your own description here]
Not to diss anyone actually disabled who has no alternative to motorized perambulation.
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 07-13-20, 06:54 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have been putting a lot of miles on the mountain bike, wearing out a thumb shifter and breaking a pedal in the process. I had no trouble finding replacement thumb shifters (old SunTour 6-speed indexed, which I run in friction mode anyway), and I had a 50-year-old pair of KKT Pro Ace road quill pedals I was able to modify slightly for mountain bike use, by breaking/filing off a couple of vertical protrusions.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-13-20, 07:06 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
What are your stories?
Sold two bikes this year a week after listing them. One of them, I couldn't sell last year for my asking price.

Can't really find a vintage lightweight locally that is "in the money" to flip. Finally found a really nice mid-level Windsor. Am fully rebuilding it and will list it locally for $400, at least $100 more than a year ago.

Can't find gum Rustines hoods in america. Paying a lot for Paselas, tubes, and cotton tape. Hate wearing a mask in the bike shop.

Really enjoying roads with very little car traffic.
Old 07-13-20, 07:18 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
I don't know about other areas throughout N. America but there is a boom here in the GTA. My local bike shop won't allow patrons in the shop but are doing repairs and selling out front. There's a line up into the shop every day and they tell me they have never sold or serviced more bikes ever. They have a sign every day by 11am, "Tune Ups full for the day". Good for them and good to see that if people can't do anything else then they are turning to cycling. I'll bet it will be a buyers market come the fall and next spring when people can head back to the malls to shop.
Old 07-13-20, 07:39 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
My full restoration vintage bike sales still take quite a lot of time. But, I've picked up & sold about four bikes in the last couple months that I did practically nothing to except lubricate & adjust. So, I guess that I've been "flipping" a few bikes recently. The bike shops down here in N Florida have definitely run out of bikes. But, there are plenty of used bikes for sale on Craigslist & Facebook in the greater Jacksonville area.
Old 07-13-20, 11:07 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've sold 7 bikes this year, but have been trying to stop fully restoring the ones that are not for me. I do regret discounting one back in February, but I didn't know where the market was headed at the time. I've also noticed more competition on the used market for the deals and you typically have to contact the seller within 10 minutes to have any hope.

Components have also sold well which caused me to delay purchasing parts due to high prices.
Old 07-14-20, 02:20 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I live in a beach resort area, Bethany Beach, De. The bike shops here have been slammed with repairs and are sold of much of the new bike stock. However, the numbers of vacationers here has been greatly diminished due to the crisis. I am seeing a very limited number of bicyclist, walkers and runners in all the areas I ride. Normally, Rte. 1, Coastal Highway, has a whole lot of people engaging in all of those activities. Vehicle traffic, of course, is also relatively light compared to a usual summer season. I surely like the reduced traffic.
Old 07-14-20, 07:16 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I've been slowly cleaning up and going through my bike parts and components. I've sold two bare framesets in the past month. A day after advertising. Also have sold 3 OLD helmets! I guess people are just desperate too. So tempting to let something from the herd go. I've gone through each bike in my mind finding one to sell, but I just can't let go.
Old 07-14-20, 07:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Central Iowa shops sold much of their regular inventory(so excluding recumbent trikes or odd stuff like that). Bikes that are $1500 or less are seriously scarce. Hybrids and kids bikes are even more rare.
Repairs have been going gonzo. I had to go to a local shop 4 times over the span of about 6 weeks to pick up 4 different special orders for a program I work with. It was neat to see the cavernous store steadily empty. Currently, there is a 30 bike rack between the entrance and repair area that has an assortment of bikes that are completed for service. Its a steady stream of people coming in and out for repair.
The same goes for another quality shop in the metro.

I have no idea about the remaining shops- they dont interest me.

Ive been looking thru CL, ebay, and facebook marketplace for months now and havent found a good quality 26" rigid 15" MTB full bike or frame for what I want to pay. Prices are sky high for what is quality and everything else is junk. The inventory is crazy low, it appears to have been gobbled up earlier in the year and whats left is the absurdly expensive stuff like $350 and up for a Trek 930 frame.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 07-14-20 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 10:23 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
multiple bikes shops locally have signs saying they are not taking in any new shop work because they are so backlogged. This is a benefit for a local bike charity groups that is still taking in shop work....but that charities for sale selection is way slimmer than normal

Old 07-14-20, 10:27 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Had to use cheapo Wellgo SPD pedals instead of my standby Shimano M-520s, which were out of stock everywhere. Shame!
Old 07-14-20, 12:11 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
More e-bikes than ever in my area.
But I'm also seeing riders on a single electric wheel with foot pegs (i.e. no pedals).
5 riders yesterday
Wheels look to be 20" diameter with maybe 3-4" wide tires.
I can't stop thinking about B.C. comic character Thor whenever I see one.
But I wonder if any of these kids would even know the reference.
The Marvel movie universe knows no bounds... Thor Ragnorak, 2017. He's also in a few of the Avengers blockbusters. Recent enough to where the youngins would know about it.
Old 07-14-20, 12:23 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
The Marvel movie universe knows no bounds... Thor Ragnorak, 2017. He's also in a few of the Avengers blockbusters. Recent enough to where the youngins would know about it.
Oh no, not that Thor.
This Thor (B.C. comic strip).

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Oh no, not that Thor.
This Thor (B.C. comic strip).

I am glad you added this post as I had forgot about this cartoon! Nice one
Old 07-14-20, 01:03 PM
retiredguru

Bikes: '87 Miyata 112, '84 Nashbar Road LP, '89 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
In my neck of the Upstate New York woods, I'm 'blessed' with bike boom pricing and shortages without any evidence of a bike boom going on. I pass one, maybe two of the regular serious cyclists while riding on the road. I see about that or a couple more while driving around. All others are the townies who ride barely running bikes year round. Anyone would be hard pressed to see any change in the bike world here, but then, I admit, we live in an area time forgot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.