Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

N/E PA folks, route help around Stroudsburg please.

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 02:32 PM
gt3racerich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

I am planning a ride from Riegelsville PA to Hawley PA.
I can get to Belvidere NJ and at that point cross back in to PA and take River Rd (611) north, or stay on the NJ side and continue north.
My concern is getting around Stroudsburg and Rt 80. Safety is the main concern as I am looking for roads with less traffic and/or a nice shoulder.
I would like to then head north on 402 at Marshalls Creek.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am open to suggestions anywhere along the way.
Thanks.
Old 08-10-20, 09:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
After crossing back into PA from Belvidere take the road paralleling the river to Portland then pick up 611. There is a short, really nasty climb not long after you cross the river into PA. I’ve only gone down it. The flat alternative is 46 in NJ to Columbia and then the pedestrian bridge to Portland. Much more traffic, but I think there is a good shoulder. I’ve only ridden it south.

Once you get into DWG take River Rd. then Gap View, etc. across 209 and eventually to 209 BUS. That will take you to 402. Look at Google Maps Street View. Expect traffic unless you go at an off hour. That’s just the nature of the beast up there.

Have you ever ridden up to Belvidere from R-Ville? Other than the part through Phillipsburg, It's really nice. I have ridden south from Belvidere to Frenchtown and beyond numerous times. The 12 miles between Belvidere and Phillipsburg are really sweet.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-10-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 05:21 PM
gt3racerich

Thanks for the info. I will probably try both ways from Belvidere before I do the complete ride.
I thought that 209 would be the only way but I was hoping for another alternative. I have driven that route by car a few times and if I remember correctly there is a good shoulder.
I have been north on River Rd ( on the NJ side) from Phillipsburg but not all the way to Belvidere. I remember it being desolate with the exception of large trucks every once in awhile. I have recently used Belvidere Rd out of Philipsburg and while it is a main road it has a large shoulder both ways and many places for food or water.
Old 08-12-20, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Here is R'Ville to Portland via NJ then PA.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33746596

P'Burg to Belivdere desolate with trucks? The low and narrow railroad overpasses limit the size of vehicles on parts of that stretch. It's a favorite 13 miles of mine. Very pretty and quiet. If I enounter a half dozen moving vehicles in the stretch it's a busy day. Most traffic stays on CR 519. And because of its short length, you don't need services if you stop in P'Burg for water.

If you opt for U.S. 46 north from Belividere, stay stright on Market St. That becomes Manunka Chunk Road and takes you to 46, where you make a left. When you get to Columbia there is a bit of involved ramp system to get you to the pedestrian bridge to Portland. Skip it. Stop on the shoulder, look carefully and then cross over to Washington St., which is closest to the river. (You can see it on the map.) The very end of Washington is one way in the other direction, but I have never seen a car on it. Should be totally safe.
Old 08-12-20, 02:45 PM
gt3racerich

I guess it was closer to Phillipsburg that I encountered all the trucks. I will go that way next time.
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate the info around Portland, I am not familiar with that specific area.
Old 08-14-20, 06:13 PM
indyfabz

There’s a ConAgra mill on 611 in PA north of Easton. I would definitely stay off that side. From one of the hills on the NJ side you can see all the trucks parked at the plant. Take it slow going under the railroad overpasses. Sight lines are bad.

Portland is the hometown of the guy who wrote the song “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.” There are services there, though I don’t know if they are still open. More in Delaware Water Gap.