Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Specialized Vado SL 4.0 For Touring

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-11-20, 10:38 PM
WhiteSox Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I just placed an order this week for a Specialized Vado SL 4.0. My question is has anyone used this bike(or any e bike) for a long distance tour? Next spring I would like to bike Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. I'd love to hear anyone thoughts or experiences.
Old 08-12-20, 09:26 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have, As I have mentioned before, I had a trike with solar panels overhead. At present, I am rigging a trailer with the solar panels for use with a Vello. I really can't see it without a good recharging plan, Mountain grades are going to pull down batteries faster than you would expect.
Old 08-12-20, 10:05 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteSox Fan
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I just placed an order this week for a Specialized Vado SL 4.0. My question is has anyone used this bike(or any e bike) for a long distance tour? Next spring I would like to bike Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. I'd love to hear anyone thoughts or experiences.
What is your recharge plan? Are you planning on riding with minimum level boost? How many hours can you ride like that. Most of my batteries take ~4-5 hours to recharge, so topping off at lunch isn't gonna buy a whole lot...
Old 08-12-20, 09:22 PM
WhiteSox Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, this is something I need to learn before I go. If the reviews are correct on the Specialized page it's telling me I can get up to 80 - 120 miles with the battery and a backup. I would hope I only use the boost for up hill and head winds.
Old 08-16-20, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
This should help out;
https://theradavist.com/2020/08/lael...ear-breakdown/
Lael's partner rode the Creo (which is the road bike version of what you are looking at)

With the backup battery you might get more range but the 120 miles is generous at best probably more realistic in the 50-80 range and with more gear that will go down a bit. However you can still do it with some good planning, training and practice.

I am, thanks to Rue and Lael, looking at getting a Vado SL 5.0 (though I still really want my R+M Supercharger) and dropping down to 650b wheels and running a different handlebar set up and probably the Tubus Airy rack and PDW Fenders with a spare battery. Mainly for commuting but with some plans to do at least some light touring (I have a touring bike already). I liked the bike when I first saw it and gave a short test ride but after reading that story I was sold. Now I have been trying to test ride it a bit more and building out my spec sheet so I can start budgeting for this.