Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi year and model number help please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 06:38 PM
Davidhuunguyen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Picked up this vintage Bianchi.
campy rd,fd, and shifters
Ambrosia elite 19 rims
Black brakes and hoods with no brand
Omega cranks and headset
San marco seat
ITM handle bar
Cromor black stickers
Made in italy sticker
SN is 8E and 4289 with BIANCHI stamp
6 speed
Any assist would be great.
Old 07-09-20, 08:08 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial number, your frame was manufactured in Italy during 1988 and early enough in the year that it should be a 1988 model. However, in 1988 all the mid-range Italian manufactured models were still using the Formula tubesets, at least in the USA market. The decal style is 1988-1989 and the only Cromor model in the USA market during this period was the 1989 Campione d'Italia, in which case the SunTour Quattro derailleurs have been replaced. The brakes and crankset do look like they could be the Quattro group components produced by Modolo and Ofmega.
Old 07-09-20, 09:38 PM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
[

So definitely a CDI model but which year?
1988 or 1989. The research i have shows a 1988 model but doesnt match the decals like you state. Is it worth getting this painted celeste and doing a full campy upgrade?

= QUOTET-Mar;21579041]Based on the serial number, your frame was manufactured in Italy during 1988 and early enough in the year that it should be a 1988 model. However, in 1988 all the mid-range Italian manufactured models were still using the Formula tubesets, at least in the USA market. The decal style is 1988-1989 and the only Cromor model in the USA market during this period was the 1989 Campione d'Italia, in which case the SunTour Quattro derailleurs have been replaced. The brakes and crankset do look like they could be the Quattro group components produced by Modolo and Ofmega.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-20, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Both the 1988 and 1989 Bianchi models used the same decals style, at least in the USA.

Assuming a 1988, USA market, Campione d'Italia, what's correct is the S/N and colour. What's wrong are the derailleurs, crankset and Cromor decal.

Assuming a 1989, USA market, Campione d'Italia, what correct is the Cromor decal and possibly the crankset. What's wrong are the derailleurs, S/N and colour.

So there's no exact match. I'd be leaning towards 1988 on the basis of the frame's serial number and colour. Also, the Cromor decal is the 1987 version and not what I'd expect on a 1989 model, given that Bianch didn't even start using Cromor until 1989. Consequently, there would be no reason for the old style Cromor decal to be hanging around the factory. The derailleurs and crankset were likely changed out to make it more Italian, as the OEM components were Japanese and French respectively.
Old 07-10-20, 08:34 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you. That makes sense to keep it a 1988 going forward with the recondition. So do most folks recondition old BIANCHI. Paint the celeste color and put full campy on the bike?. The current color is white with the celeste bianchi decals.
Old 07-10-20, 08:44 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidhuunguyen
Thank you. That makes sense to keep it a 1988 going forward with the recondition. So do most folks recondition old BIANCHI. Paint the celeste color and put full campy on the bike?. The current color is white with the celeste bianchi decals.
It depends on the bike. If you have a Campione de Italia that came with a mixed component kit swapping it to all CampI won’t suddenly make it ride better or be much more valuable. As to paint....Bianchi bikes came in lots of different colors so unless the current paint is in horrendous shape a professional repaint may cost more than the bike is worth.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-10-20, 10:01 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely going for sentimental value. I picked this up for 200. Always wanted a campy and celeste Bianchi along with the challenge of finding the parts. Paint is not good. Seems to be dull, lots of chips, and decals are fading but actually in good shape given its shape. Probably going to powder coat it. Wonder what this is worth in its current form.
​​​​​
​​​​ Trying to add pictures but it wont won me till i i have ten posts.

Bianchigirll;21579699]It depends on the bike. If you have a Campione de Italia that came with a mixed component kit swapping it to all CampI won’t suddenly make it ride better or be much more valuable. As to paint....Bianchi bikes came in lots of different colors so unless the current paint is in horrendous shape a professional repaint may cost more than the bike is worth.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-20, 07:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts

The Quattro brakes were a bit massive looking.

I think this from the very short lived Xenon group from around ‘95.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-10-20, 07:12 PM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
So cleaning the parts, i noticed that the brakes had a fainted name, Mach 1.

Definitely going for sentimental value. I picked this up for 200. Always wanted a campy and celeste Bianchi along with the challenge of finding the parts. Paint is not good. Seems to be dull, lots of chips, and decals are fading but actually in good shape given its shape. Probably going to powder coat it. Wonder what this is worth in its current form.
​​​​​
​​​​ Trying to add pictures but it wont won me till i i have ten posts.

Bianchigirll;21579699]It depends on the bike. If you have a Campione de Italia that came with a mixed component kit swapping it to all CampI won’t suddenly make it ride better or be much more valuable. As to paint....Bianchi bikes came in lots of different colors so unless the current paint is in horrendous shape a professional repaint may cost more than the bike is worth.
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-14-20, 08:30 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the help, will post pics of restoration when finished.
Old 08-13-20, 12:18 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Campione del monde decal

Almost done with the restore. Kept it a 1988 look with Celeste color and blue decal replacement. I received a campione del monde 1986-1987 decal with the package. Does this belong on a 1988 model?
Old 08-14-20, 09:30 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Almost done with the restore. Kept it a 1988 look with Celeste color and blue decal replacement. I received a campione del monde 1986-1987 decal with the package. Does this belong on a 1988 model?
Ok. Read a couple other posts by T-Mar and saw that it was typical to see that decal on a 1988. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-20, 10:00 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ok. Read a couple other posts by T-Mar and saw that it was typical to see that decal on a 1988. Thanks again.
Strange i cant post to other threads since im i new member. Mist get 10 messages i guess but can only post here.
Old 08-14-20, 10:01 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Strange i cant post to other threads since im i new member. Mist get 10 messages i guess but can only post here.
Any have an idea?
Old 08-14-20, 10:02 AM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Any have an idea?
Ok. Just added several messages on this blog to get to 10.
Old 08-26-20, 08:43 PM
Davidhuunguyen

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pics of bianchi 1988 CDI restoration

Ok. Just added several messages on this blog to get to 10.
Campagnolo Victory group set. Still need to change out hubs, seatpost, and binder to campagnolo.

Time for a test ride. Thanks to all who provided guidance.
​​​​​

Likes For Davidhuunguyen:
Old 08-26-20, 10:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Looks good, nice job.
Likes For merziac: