Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 12:41 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I've spent a fair bit in the last 12 months on cycling. In the mid-80's I got into road racing and my first bike was quite basic and I spent the next 10 years upgrading - it actually changed groupset 3x and frame/fork 3x in that period so completely different over time. I spent all my disposable income from my student jobs and first real job on cycling.

Fast forward, 50 years old, different disposable income and 11 months ago I bought a 2019 KTM e-MTB for 5500 Euros. In June last year I bought a 2019 KTM Scarp Sonic 29er MTB for 7200 Euros and gave the e-MTB to my wife. In August 2019 I took advantage of a hugely discounted new Wilier Zero.6 with SRAM Red eTap for £5600 (reduced from £10000) and then last month bought a 2020 Trek Madone SLR 6 for 6500 Euros (with some upgrades). I have since ordered a Dura Ace Di2 upgrade for the Trek. No doubt, I'll continue with wheels etc.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-11-20, 08:33 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Ok, 4yo thread, but relevant.

Still working mostly from home, so doing maintenance and needed replacement parts: friendlier cassette (12-29 gearing), chain, jockey wheels = $700. Ouch. Now shifting is much crisper. Bonus was ~150g weight reduction.
Old 07-11-20, 06:26 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am a technology geek. I appreciate technology from the human achievement and craftsmanship aspects. I have $4k and $5k bikes that I like to ride. I am no longer able to ride them fast though because of recent health issues. I also lo love tools do most of the maintenance.

I did not buy them for appearance or to look cool, but mainly because I finally could. Even though I am constrained by my health, I frequently ride up to 100 mi per week or more.

What really matters is keeping that love of cycling.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-13-20, 01:32 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
People who complain about other people buying expensive bikes have never pushed a bike to the limit and realized that they may enjoy the benefits of a more expensive bike. I started playing the clarinet when I was 7 years old. I practiced every day, enjoyed it immensely, and was consistently better than everyone around me. I started playing with the high school band in summer concerts when I was in grade school. I was all-city, all-district and all-state. My classmates all thought that I was going to become a professional musician. By the time I got to high school, I was a terrific player, but I still had the same, lower end instrument that I started with. It had been refurbished a couple of times but years of practice, performance, marching band etc. had taken their toll on an instrument that was fine for a grade schooler but my abilities, and expectations of performance, had outgrown its capabilities. My parents, because they'd never been musicians, couldn't grasp the fact that I needed something that performed at a professional level. One of my cousins, same age as me but living in a different school district, started at the same age on trumpet. Same achievement arc. Because his HS band director was able to twist his parents' arms, his parents bought him a much better horn when he started HS. End result? I lost interest in playing during my junior year and he ended up with a scholarship playing trumpet for Ohio State. He's played in bands all his life and all of his children and grandchildren play instruments. Did he become a professional musician? No (we're both attorneys) but music has been a daily part of his life since the age of 7.

I look at bicycles, and any other fine instrument, the same way. Start with something serviceable and move up as you enjoy and benefit from the improvements the instrument can provide. I started riding as a kid and into my 20's. My wife and I started with decent bikes then a tandem, then a pair of beautiful matched Motobecane Grand Jubilees. Jobs and kids pretty much ended our riding in our mid 20's, but we got a couple of new, lower end bikes to ride on bike paths in our 50's. And then I bought a very nice mountain bike, then a new middle of the road road bike, then a better road bike, etc. But I was riding with Cat 1 & 2 guys, and even some women pros who were several decades younger than me in my late 50's. You can't do that on a 40 year old bike or a bike from Walmart.

If you can afford and benefit from a high end bike - or clarinet or trumpet - I hope you go ahead buy it.

PS: I've been researching clarinets and saxophones lately.
Old 07-13-20, 01:55 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Like most of my other hobbies, cycling didn't start off expensive, but it's gotten that way as I've come to really appreciate a well built carbon fiber endurance bike with nice components, including wheels. I currently ride a Giant Defy 0, a Trek Domane 6.2, and a new Bianchi Infinito CV with discs, ENVE wheels and tubeless tires. All have Di2.

At 62, I won't be winning any races anytime soon, but I ride almost daily, and as a heavier rider (200lbs), pressure test them quite a bit. I've discovered the world of gravel with the wider 28mm tires, and it's opened up a whole new dimension to my riding. If you're serious about it - ride the best bike you can!

Currently in the process of purchasing another customized Trek Domane SLR 7 disc with Di2, and will probably end up with another Giant Defy 0 with the SRAM Red eTAP.

In defense of myself, I need to keep bikes in two separate (and distant) locations. More importantly, I do ride them all frequently and hard (the Bianchi is my current favorite).
Old 07-14-20, 08:02 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
A little long in the tooth but still a great thread. I'm one that believes that we should enjoy our hobbies and if we have the desire and resources then nothing wrong with purchasing quality. I'm not an advocate of burning money but what good is a pastime which we hold back to win acceptance with a subgroup of the whole, and that being on either the money end or the budget end?

As far as bikes are concerned none of mine are expensive. But I really try to get the most out of what I have without going overboard on high cost add-ons. Everything I own bike wise is at a higher level than my current abilities. I have said to myself many times I will start looking at a new bike when my skills start to warrant a new bike but at this point I have enough time invested in the hobby that I wouldn't feel dumb spending a few dollars on a new bike.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 07-20-20, 11:18 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with expensive bikes. I do enjoy finding an expensive bike from back in the day that has not been used and so is 1/10th the retail that was paid for it. They are more common than you'd think. Bikes out there all over the place that were 3-5-7K and were hardly ridden. Sweet spot is like 6-8 years ago, and the tech was good enough back then that upgrades are seldom an issue.
Likes For woofy:
Old 08-01-20, 05:24 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I'm the complete opposite of most posting here. I ride vintage bikes. Bikes that I find dirt cheap. I buy and sell, part out bikes, and keep the good ones. My bike clothing I buy used on ebay. I picked up 4 pairs of shorts from end of year returned merchandise from Bike Nashbar. Total $40 shipped. Rarely do I buy any parts for my bikes and if I do they are deep discount items. I joke about the cars my wife and I drive. We have 3 cars, one is a camper van. Total age of cars is 104 years, total mileage 550,000. During this pandemic we have ordered out food once. Two boys in college with massive loan debt but I pay for things like rent, extracurricular, food etc. We just scrape by. Take a week vacation in the camper and it takes several months to recoup lost wages. Started out bike racing as a young teen in the early 70's. Still ride regularly today. Often ride in groups with guys on very expensive bikes and hold my own. After 50 years of riding I know its not about the bike.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 08-01-20, 08:16 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I have been around this forum for about a year or so, and it seems like people get a lot more criticism for buying expensive bikes than cheap bikes. It appears at times everyone is fine with $200 complete bikes but find the $5,000+ bikes pure insanity.

I-Like-To-Bike posted a link to this article in a thread in the general biking section. I believe it makes a lot of sense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/yo...-you-love.html

In part, I wonder if this crowd, the older crowd, sees things any differently than the younger crowd. Many folks, by this age, have some extra cash in their pocket. Also, if you have gone through other hobbies (sports cars, boats, motorcycles) a $5,000+ bike no longer sounds expensive.

When I got back into biking seriously, my first bike was an expensive bike. I did not want any excuses about the bike being limiting (whether real or imagined), and I wanted something that I thought was so cool that I was motivated to ride it. Things worked out well going this route.

Thoughts?

And, please, do not make this into some tangential debate on a thinly related topic. I am a bike loving kind of guy who is also always thinking and wondering about human behavior, not good, not bad, just curious.
I'm 61 and 5K for a bike makes me cringe.
Old 08-01-20, 10:14 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I met a colleague on a business trip once who told me all about his custom BMW where they called him from Germany and held his hand at every step of the process and sent him photos and updates. When it was ready he went to Germany to meet the guys who built it and he got to test drive it on their test course, and they gave him training on how to use all the features that "normal" cars don't have and normal drivers don't need (something about turning off safety features). He was extremely proud of it and it gave him pleasure. I didn't ask, but it was probably 10 times what a normal person would pay for a normal new car.

I've never bought a new car and I don't replace a car until it's no longer serviceable. I appreciate bicycle craftsmanship and custom work, and owning such a bike would give me pride and pleasure. I know what I like. I was just thinking about this today, riding my 18 year old bike... the no-compromises one that I really wanted... when I bought it That if I had compromised back then, I wouldn't still be riding the compromise bike. I'm not going to cringe over spending $10k when the time comes.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-02-20, 09:26 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I met a colleague on a business trip once who told me all about his custom BMW where they called him from Germany and held his hand at every step of the process and sent him photos and updates. When it was ready he went to Germany to meet the guys who built it and he got to test drive it on their test course, and they gave him training on how to use all the features that "normal" cars don't have and normal drivers don't need (something about turning off safety features). He was extremely proud of it and it gave him pleasure. I didn't ask, but it was probably 10 times what a normal person would pay for a normal new car.

I've never bought a new car and I don't replace a car until it's no longer serviceable. I appreciate bicycle craftsmanship and custom work, and owning such a bike would give me pride and pleasure. I know what I like. I was just thinking about this today, riding my 18 year old bike... the no-compromises one that I really wanted... when I bought it That if I had compromised back then, I wouldn't still be riding the compromise bike. I'm not going to cringe over spending $10k when the time comes.
A custom Pegoretti with modern components would fit the bill nicely for me.
Old 08-02-20, 02:12 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
It makes me cringe too. The ebike I bought cost $3500, and I cringed when I bought it, and whenever the subject comes up. My analog bike cost $800 which was scary since my last bike (50 plus years ago) cost $25. When started ebike shopping I thought $1600 for a RAD bike was too expensive, but when I started considering dealer bikes I had to go up a grand. Then I decided on mid-motor models it went up again.

All I can say is that my ebike is worth the money.
Old 08-02-20, 02:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Me? @ 72.. Not really any Cheap Rohloff Hubs, but if you buy a used bike with one you almost get the rest of the bike for little more than the hub cost..

these days its a very nice grocery hauler..
Old 08-06-20, 10:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again, up to a certain point more money buys more performance and reliability. But beyond that you are only buying a name.
Old 08-24-20, 09:26 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a slippery slope like many hobbies

First, I remember reading something when I went to university that stuck with me eversince: Don't worry what others think of you, because they are too worried about what you think of them.

Whenever I buy anything another wisdom tends to guide me:. The bitterness of low quality outlasts the sweetness of low price.

For me there are several things that are important when it comes to bikes and others are bonus. Also, I think ignorance is bliss when it comes to many hobbies. Once you experience something good it's hard to forget it and can't unring the bell.

​​​​​​I think of bikes as tools. The right tool for the right job. Ii also ride for myself and don't really care about what others think. When I was young and used my bike to ride around to places a few hundred $ bike was sufficient. It was even fine for commuting to school, until it was stolen. A trend that I noticed as I got older is that I spent progressively more on my bikes. I splurged $700 on a nice bike to commute to work. I was very happy with it as it was much lighter and had better equipment than my previous bikes. Until it was stolen. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought the same bike three times. Then I bought a bit nicer one which is even lighter, has wider range of gears that allows me to effortlessly pedal up hills if I chose, and I'm up to the Sora level. I love the way it shifts etc.

This bike is more than adequate for my needs. Now days I bike for fitness and have absolutely no need for a higher end bike. In fact, a lighter/faster bike would defeat the purpose of fitness riding. I read a post where a person bought a higher end light bike only to "downgrade" to a lower end one as he wasn't getting a workout he wanted. I guess he wasn't a climber.

I saw an interesting video in bike design where the person explained that unless you are racing, about 85% of the design of a high end race bike is wasted as most riders have no need for instant acceleration and having an extremely light bike that might save a fraction of a second for a racer. Yes that fraction is important for a long distance racer but has absolutely no value for a commuter/fitness rider etc..

Now if you want to keep up with someone or it somehow make you feel better to own a $5000 to each their own. I have seen many comments by people trading in their hybrid bike for road bikes in order to keep up with people in their clubs. I get that but I'd question what kind of club it is if your fellow members drop you on a ride. I don't think I'd want to belong to that club. If it's a matter of being competitive then it becomes an arms race.

If biking is your #1 hobby and you like to splurge and buy expensive bikes even if you don't really need them that's great if you can afford them. The financial impact of a hobby on personal finance is a whole different discussion. Otherwise what right does anyone have to criticize your choice of tool?

Cheers
Old 08-24-20, 09:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Everything is relative. High end parts are expensive. Then they become less expensive as new technology replaces them. The price continues to slide over time. Then 25/30 years later they are selling for 2x/3x the original cost as NOS.

John
Old 08-26-20, 06:46 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I will spend what I feel I need to make the bike function well and that I think will last. I don't go for the most expensive or the latest and greatest (you can tell that from the ages of my bikes!). I'm not one of what I would consider as a "very serious rider", so "good enough" is good enough for me. Perhaps if I rode more and was more involved in cycling, I would feel differently. If you want, and can afford, the more expensive components, bike, technology, that's fine with me. I see riders out with bikes much newer, more expensive than mine. And while I think it would be nice to have something like that, I don't begrudge anyone for it. My bikes serve me well, do what I want, which is to get me out and riding without breaking down or making me work too hard (just hard enough) and allow me to enjoy the ride. All I need.
Old 08-26-20, 07:59 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I love the art of cycling and the people that are passionate about it. I like going to NAHBS and chatting with the builders and component makers and supporting them when I can. I’m at a point in my life that I can buy brakes from Paul’s components , or a classic Brooks saddle, or Chris King hubs or get a frame painted by Joe Bell and not worry that much about the cost because it’s as much about riding something that is nearly a piece of art as it is getting something strictly functional and utilitarian.

Flashing cash to merely get the L&G from Specialized or Trek doesn’t really impress me, but show me a Bishop or your Firefly and now we’re talking. Bonus if you got Caitlin Fielder to paint your Sidi shoes.
Old 08-27-20, 01:48 AM
VernMoto

Bikes: Specialized, Motobecane

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Motobecane

I would like an opinion on getting a Motobecane. Some say they are good others say they have cheep parts, but I am going high end. $3700.00 for the AXS Eagle Lunar with SRAM wireless shifters. I have the specs and picts below. Please let me know if this sounds like it is worth it? If I am in th wrong forum, please let me know where I can get professional answer.
Old 08-27-20, 08:57 AM
big john

Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by VernMoto
I would like an opinion on getting a Motobecane. Some say they are good others say they have cheep parts, but I am going high end. $3700.00 for the AXS Eagle Lunar with SRAM wireless shifters. I have the specs and picts below. Please let me know if this sounds like it is worth it? If I am in th wrong forum, please let me know where I can get professional answer.
If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. Nothing wrong with Motobecane as a brand. If you want you can compare to other brands with similar parts.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-27-20, 09:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again, up to a certain point more money buys more performance and reliability. But beyond that you are only buying a name.
Not true. You run into the law of diminishing returns, so the difference between a $500 bile and a $2000 is greater than a $5000 and a $10,000. But there is still a difference. I have a Emonda SLR and have rented a Emonda SL while I vacation. I can definitely feel the difference in performance and shifting.
But then if you can tell the difference then buy the cheaper bike.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott

First off we're in the 50+ forum so most of us have accumulated some savings. It all depends on where you're at. The last new car I owned was a 74 VW and I still have it. I've only driven used cars like buying them with 100,000+ and driving them into the ground when they passed 250,000. I owned a nice bike ($2500) but when my last got is masters and both my kids were off the family payroll, i decided to treat myself to a new bike. I needed a car since my 2001 Civic has 250,000 miles but decided to get the bike. It was the one overly expensive personal thing I bought for myself in 30 years. The next year the Civic blew the head gasket for the 2nd time and it was time to replace it.

So if you can afford a nice bike without hurting your finances or retirement.... do it. I've enjoyed that bike for the past 5 years and see no reason to replace it anytime soon.

Thousands of miles of enjoyment were worth the 5 minutes counting the cash and handing it over.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-27-20, 10:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again more money for better quality usually ends in the mid point of a product. Beyond that you are mostly buying a name. The extremely rich did not get rich by squandering their money. While they can buy any thing at any price point they spent their money logically and wisely.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-27-20, 12:58 PM
big john

Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again more money for better quality usually ends in the mid point of a product. Beyond that you are mostly buying a name. The extremely rich did not get rich by squandering their money. While they can buy any thing at any price point they spent their money logically and wisely.
I agree with your first point but the rich do not get rich by being frugal.
Old 08-27-20, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cant afford that classic Shelby AC Cobra, why not get a race bike?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-28-20, 02:24 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I'd say, expensive bike is OK if you are experienced bike rider and one who rides for sport enjoyment (not sight seeing or on family outing and such likes, unless your family is a sporting one of course), which doesn't mean fast as when racing guys ride the bike, just fast for your age, whatever age and speed that is.

It is a snob purchase if you don't have those qualities, if you don't know how to ride a bike properly, like if you ride cross-chained and such like tell-tell signs of somebody who is no match for the technology but just has deep pockets.

Also important factor is the fine machine appreciation which many people just don't have. So far I rode an older bike and still do but newer second hand bike is in the offing, but that old bike is well maintained and tuned up because I like it when the machine performs as it should, when it just clicks smoothly... can tell the difference when the chain was greased and appreciate smooth precise shifting and that sort of thing.

So if I had $10k to spend on a bike, it wouldn't be a snob purchase, even if I can't do justice to such a machine at my age. It is OK if some folks buy Lamborghini and drive it mostly across town on Sundays or even if behind town, you can't do justice to it given speed limits, even if you ignore it a bit here and there. Point is the appreciation of the fine beast, even if you can't tap its limits even remotely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.