Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Logic vs Litespeed T6

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 03:23 PM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m curremtly in the market for a new frameset considering going alloy. Both
frames are relatively priced the same. The ritchey is tried and true steel with threaded bottom bracket which is always a plus and more race oriented. The T6 looks more relaxed geometry and has a pressfit BB. Not sure on the quality of the titanium tubing considering it’s their entry level base model frame (cheapest$$$).

I already have a carbon race frame so the T6 more relaxed geometry seems intriguing but if the Ritchey has a better ride quality I surely would choose it over titanium. Any suggestions????
Old 06-07-18, 05:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Having ridden a Ritchey road bike I know how it goes, and it goes quick. I am sure he has changed frame design over the years, however my guess is that the quick steering front end is still there. 73.5 seat and head angles (58cm) is what I remember. I certainly recall that it was a quick handling bike.
Currently I ride a Habanero titanium cross bike and it is a refreshing experience to ride something so stable and comfy. It does not carve like a Road Logic, but who does that anymore? I am not familiar with the Litespeed T6. It is billed as a "classic" design, and looking at frame specs, it sure looks like a typical performance road bike similar to the BStone RB1. My guess is that it rides just fine. Honestly either way looks good.
As for quality of tubing the 3AL-2.5 is more than excellent for the job. It is not butted, but butted ti is not common. I don't know if it really enhances the ride of the bike anyway. The great thing about ti is that scratches are easily fixed if the frame is brushed, and the corrosion rate is hyper slow to the point of being virtually rust-proof. You ought to give a look at habcycles.com just as a viable option. Great bikes for sure.
Old 06-07-18, 07:01 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I can't give an opinion on the Litespeed, but I love my Ritchey Logic. I love the handling, the liveliness of the ride, the way it just seems to soak up the miles. It isn't the lightest bike I have, but it is certainly my favorite.

Old 06-07-18, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I love Ti a lot but I would probably go with the Ritchey. Pressfit is a deal breaker for me. Litespeed has made quality Ti for a while so I wouldn't have issue with their stuff even at the entry level. No name Ti I would be careful of because it is hard to work with and not done properly it can have ill effects but companies like Litespeed who were early in the game I wouldn't worry about. The Ritchey looks nice and has a threaded BB and has been around a while. We built one up for a customer last year and it turned out so nice and I want one myself (though I will likely not be building another road bike).
Old 06-07-18, 07:36 PM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I’ll be honest if the Ritchey was still available in that gun metal grey, my decision would be made already. Great looking bike man!!

Its been stated that cheaper quality titanium frames tend to ride a bit harsh I’m afraid the T6 may ride more on the side of aluminum than steel and for that reason I’m torn between the two.

The ritchey is now only offered in a light blue color scheme not too crazy about it but not a big deal I guess.

I wish there was was a shop that stocked either bike near me

Old 06-07-18, 08:28 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love Ti a lot but I would probably go with the Ritchey. Pressfit is a deal breaker
I’ve read the horror stories, yet my 2016 Cannondale supersix is running quiet so far (fingers x). Considerable amount of mileage never been caught in a rain storm avoid puddles etc.

I’m interested in hearing any personal experiences you may have had regarding press fit bb’s?
Old 06-07-18, 08:36 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by fizzle
Man I’ll be honest if the Ritchey was still available in that gun metal grey, my decision would be made already. Great looking bike man!!

Its been stated that cheaper quality titanium frames tend to ride a bit harsh I’m afraid the T6 may ride more on the side of aluminum than steel and for that reason I’m torn between the two.

The ritchey is now only offered in a light blue color scheme not too crazy about it but not a big deal I guess.

I wish there was was a shop that stocked either bike near me.

The colour of the bike is pretty important IMHO.

Could you wait till next year's model is out? I'm not sure when it is due, but it might be before this year ends.
Old 06-08-18, 05:26 AM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Could you wait till next year's model is out? I'm not sure when it is due, but it might be before this year ends.
I was considering waiting even contacted a Ritchey rep who didn’t have any insight on next years color ways. I reckon they don’t change color ways often year to year they seem to choose a color and stick to it for a couple years though I could be wrong. I just hope, for my sakes not Ritchey, that the new color hasn’t been selling as usual and maybe bring back the classic grey.

Then there is the re-paint option which a Ritchey rep suggested a fella out there in California who is highly touted for an extra $300 or so, whatever color I can think of plus original ritchey decals and all.

Last edited by fizzle; 06-08-18 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 08:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I recently came across the Condor cycles stuff.. maybe worth looking at for another alternative. UK outfit, fairly well known over there.
https://www.condorcycles.com/pages/our-bikes
Old 06-08-18, 02:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
If a ritchey frame were made in my size, id be all over it. Good price for a quality tubing frame with carbon fork.

59cm is the largest size made though. Lame.
Old 06-08-18, 02:30 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m starting to lean more towards the Litespeed based on the fact I already own an awesome bike with race geometry wouldn’t mind having a more relaxed fit bike for those days you just want to cruise and take it easy plus that “skyline blue” color I’m not diggin at all..smh

The one thing that’s off putting about the Litespeed is it’s PF30 I mean my BB30 Supersix evo has never gave me any problems as of yet. Carbon to alloy contact vs alloy to alloy contact on the LS bottom bracket might be less forgiving or am I over thinking it? Can it really be that bad?
Old 06-11-18, 04:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
We have had issues in the shop many times with creaky BBs. However I have not had issues because I don't run them. I think the concept is good going from threadless headsets but sadly they just couldn't do it right for BBs. They had to come up with different standards and not have exacting tolerances and plus they were searching for a problem that didn't exist. Plus I am not a fan of carbon frames which are the main place you would want a press fit standard and not on metal frames which you can easily cut threads into.
Old 06-11-18, 06:07 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I agree with no name Ti is to be avoided. Habanero has been online for 23 years and their frames are beautifully made. If there is a problem, Mark will take care of you. Gotta say with 28c tires and the steel fork the Habby cross bike rides like a dream, however if the name on the down tube is important, then go for Litespeed. In the 90's we were a Litespeed dealer and warrantied 2 frames. One was a drop out failure at the weld, the other was a main tube weld failure. Read the Litespeed limited warranty and you will find the statement "Bicycles and/or frames will not last forever." Not covered "Any damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the result of fatigue." No manufacturer is perfect. Just an FYI.
Old 06-11-18, 09:59 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts

The one thing that’s off putting about the Litespeed is it’s PF30 I mean my BB30 Supersix evo has never gave me any problems as of yet. Carbon to alloy contact vs alloy to alloy contact on the LS bottom bracket might be less forgiving or am I over thinking it? Can it really be that bad?
Get a Wheels Manuf, or similar, thread together BB.
Old 06-12-18, 11:22 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Might want to check out:

Home - Black Mountain Cycles

rides like you are describing you want, can't beat the prices.
Old 06-12-18, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tom goes to the Maxway Company in TW, an excellent OEM builder , there used, by many others..

Lightspeed is Titanium...
Old 08-11-20, 11:18 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Was Ritchey Logic made in Taiwan in 2018?
Old 08-12-20, 05:05 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Gunnar makes nice non custom frames in various colors. Made in Wisconsin by Waterford. Similar price point as the Ritchie but more options.
Old 08-12-20, 01:16 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
dangit - 2 year old thread sucked me in
Old 08-12-20, 02:36 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I’m curremtly in the market for a new frameset considering going alloy. Both
frames are relatively priced the same. The ritchey is tried and true steel with threaded bottom bracket which is always a plus and more race oriented. The T6 looks more relaxed geometry and has a pressfit BB. Not sure on the quality of the titanium tubing considering it’s their entry level base model frame (cheapest$$$).

I already have a carbon race frame so the T6 more relaxed geometry seems intriguing but if the Ritchey has a better ride quality I surely would choose it over titanium. Any suggestions????
My first Ti was a bottom-of-the-range Litespeed (straight-gauge 3/2.5). It was an excellent frame, with standard 73/73 geometry - reasonably light, stable on descents and a really comfortable frame for long rides. I only sold it 'cos I bought a better Litespeed - similar geometry but 6/4 tubing. However, I've never heard anything but good things about Ritchey frames, and for me at least, the lack of a threaded BB in the LS would be a deal breaker