Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Blasptwenty: Overdone, over-complicated mod build for video rig

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasptwenty: Overdone, over-complicated mod build for video rig

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 11:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
The build idea has taken an interesting turn - I just snagged this stabilizer of eBay, which opens up a lot of interesting opportunities for the front, soon as I braze a bracket to hold the mounting peg to the frame:

Also considering the (blasphemy) of throwing a suspension fork on it to help ease out the bumps, but I can't find any 20" forks that have 1" steerers - at least, none that are remotely decent.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-18, 04:57 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Interesting stabilizer - it almost looks like 1/2 of a Steadicam rig. I worked with those briefly long ago.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 09-27-18 at 05:01 AM.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 09-27-18, 05:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Interesting stabilizer - it almost looks like 1/2 of a Steadicam rig. I worked with those briefly long ago.
That's exactly what it is - the springarm from a Glidecam V-8. I'm figuring on mounting it to the headtube (as opposed to a vest) and perching the electric gimbal on it, in place of the usual sled.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-18, 05:22 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
...Also considering the (blasphemy) of throwing a suspension fork on it to help ease out the bumps, but I can't find any 20" forks that have 1" steerers - at least, none that are remotely decent.

-Kurt
Time to find a Moulton with its front and rear suspension. Racks included. More $$$-$$,$$$ and more mods or a new cheese grater!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-27-18, 05:44 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Time to find a Moulton with its front and rear suspension. Racks included. More $$$-$$,$$$ and more mods or a new cheese grater!
I've thought of it. It also has mounting surfaces built in too.

Thing is, I have no experience with them, nor do I want to rip one apart (especially since I've never had an experience to own a good one). Fact is, I would be more readily willing to add suspension to the rear of the Twenty (especially since I have a wrecked ProFlex kicking about that I can use for inspiration + parts) - not that I want to - before I'd want to desecrate a Moulton.

I also don't know just how soft the Moulton suspension is. Then again, I don't really know what I'd get out of anything modern either. Toying with the idea of one of those ill-advised, mad scientist homebrews.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-18, 06:21 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
...Time to find a Moulton with its front and rear suspension. Racks included. More $$$-$$,$$$ and more mods or a new cheese grater!
I've thought of it. It also has mounting surfaces built in too.

Thing is, I have no experience with them, nor do I want to rip one apart (especially since I've never had an experience to own a good one). Fact is, I would be more readily willing to add suspension to the rear of the Twenty (especially since I have a wrecked ProFlex kicking about that I can use for inspiration + parts) - not that I want to - before I'd want to desecrate a Moulton.

I also don't know just how soft the Moulton suspension is. Then again, I don't really know what I'd get out of anything modern either. Toying with the idea of one of those ill-advised, mad scientist homebrews.

-Kurt
The suspension on the old F-frame Moultons is pretty good at my weight (170 lbs). The rear suspension is basically a rubber cushion that can probably be replaced pretty easily. The front suspension is a large spring inside the head tube, making for a pretty complicated headset that I've never taken apart. My guess is the softness of the suspension could be adjusted by changing the spring or something, but it would be a project.

On the old Moultons I've seen, the racks were bent and/or broken. They mount directly to the frame, but they are not very strong.

I'm inclined to think Kurt is on the right track, modifying a Twenty. If front suspension proves necessary, there are suspension forks that will fit.
Old 09-27-18, 06:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by rhm
The suspension on the old F-frame Moultons is pretty good at my weight (170 lbs). The rear suspension is basically a rubber cushion that can probably be replaced pretty easily. The front suspension is a large spring inside the head tube, making for a pretty complicated headset that I've never taken apart. My guess is the softness of the suspension could be adjusted by changing the spring or something, but it would be a project.

On the old Moultons I've seen, the racks were bent and/or broken. They mount directly to the frame, but they are not very strong.

I'm inclined to think Kurt is on the right track, modifying a Twenty. If front suspension proves necessary, there are suspension forks that will fit.
Sounds both complicated and fragile. One of the reasons I chose the Twenty is because the main tube is pretty overbuilt. Good place to start.

That said, I did some sketches yesterday at work. Didn’t draw the gimbal on it though; figured I would start slow.

There’s also this highly ill-advised idea...

Old 09-27-18, 07:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
The Moulton is an incredible bike. It rides like a large wheeled bike. But I doubt it is smooth enough to achieve what you want with camera stabilization.

You might want to try what you would call an indecent fork, say from a kid's bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-27-18, 08:47 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noglider
The Moulton is an incredible bike. It rides like a large wheeled bike. But I doubt it is smooth enough to achieve what you want with camera stabilization.

You might want to try what you would call an indecent fork, say from a kid's bike.
A. Now I want a Moulton.

B. I considered some cheap bike fork alternatives. The performance of those forks I know all too well.

I doubt if any of those would provide the smoothness required.

-Kurt
Old 09-27-18, 12:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

OK I have no experience with cheap forks. I figured, how bad could one be? But what do I know!

As for wanting a Moulton, do not contact Chris in Miami, because if he gives you a test ride, you will definitely want one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-27-18, 01:13 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noglider
OK I have no experience with cheap forks. I figured, how bad could one be? But what do I know!

As for wanting a Moulton, do not contact Chris in Miami, because if he gives you a test ride, you will definitely want one.
I know Chris. It’s a good thing for him that I don’t know where he keeps his Moulton. 🤣
Old 09-27-18, 01:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
bravo! good luck with that heavy camera!
Old 09-27-18, 03:22 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts

A. Now I want a Moulton.

B. I considered some cheap bike fork alternatives. The performance of those forks I know all too well.

I doubt if any of those would provide the smoothness required.

-Kurt
The key is getting a mount secured to the frame in the centre of the wheelbase. Any camera mounted over a wheel will suffer maximum input from any bumps.

Tom's right about the Moulton. Simple suspension that's as smooth as glass. I think the wheelbase is decent as well. So mount your gimbal on a vertical post welded to the middle of a Moulton. Use a B-66 and the longest Porteur style bars with a short stem to give you an upright seat position. Add a mount for a monitor. F-frame = Fellini frame

Crude mock up. Needs matching angle for 'gimbal tube'

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Moulton_Bicycle_Gimbal.jpg (126.4 KB, 775 views)
Old 09-27-18, 05:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by clubman
The key is getting a mount secured to the frame in the centre of the wheelbase. Any camera mounted over a wheel will suffer maximum input from any bumps.

Tom's right about the Moulton. Simple suspension that's as smooth as glass. I think the wheelbase is decent as well. So mount your gimbal on a vertical post welded to the middle of a Moulton. Use a B-66 and the longest Porteur style bars with a short stem to give you an upright seat position. Add a mount for a monitor. F-frame = Fellini frame

Crude mock up. Needs matching angle for 'gimbal tube'

At that rate, I'd put a rollcage over the top and run the camera on a rotating jib, as they do with automobile camera rigs. By that point, it would make more sense to mount it on a recumbent (which isn't a bad idea either, with exception to transport).

I see your point about the vibration at the front, though the vibration I've experienced in the '70 Twenty is enough that the mounting location might not really make much difference.

If I really wanted to go all out and give the Twenty dual suspension though, it'd probably be possible with a few repurposed MTB parts and some reworking of the seatstays (and, of course, chainstay pivot). Only thing is that it might have quite a bit of brake dive - the anti-rise line will be pretty steep.

We'll see.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-18, 10:13 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Thinking twice about it, I think a helmet or shoulder harness with the gimbal mounted camera, (or higher end steadicam rig) on an unadulterated Moulton would give you what you want. And a smooth classic bike for the stable and future productions. Mount an external monitor to where it's seen best and Bob's your Uncle.

I've had Twenty's and they really aren't in the same class as Moultons in many respects. Moultons, even mid 60's F frames, are closer to road bikes while Twenty's are more akin to English Sports models. Go see Chris in Miami?

Last edited by clubman; 09-27-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 10:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

If you want to go with a front mount, the rack is there for you and you can put draft, er I mean craft services on the rear. All alloy '64 with high pressure rims and rear fork reinforced brackets as recommended by Mouton enthusiasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Moulton.jpg (99.7 KB, 756 views)
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-28-18, 04:18 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Somehow I knew a Moulton would be the answer to all Kurt's questions. Iconic, classic, vintage, and unusual--- all rolled into one fine bicycle.

Now the trick is to find one at the Stump Dump and it's his for the cost of shipping!

One of these days I need to head to Nova Scotia and visit @clubman and his collection. I had no idea he was so versed in video/filming equipment.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-28-18, 07:26 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh;20589783
One of these days I need to head to Nova Scotia and visit [MENTION=185977
clubman[/MENTION] and his collection. I had no idea he was so versed in video/filming equipment.
I'd love some company Pastorbob. We're too far from everything out here and the roads are fabulous. Anytime
I was a broadcast cameraguy and post production editor for 30 years
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-28-18, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@clubman, where in NS are you? I've always wanted to see that province.

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-28-18, 01:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Wolfville, a small, charming university town at the top of the Annapolis Valley. The Valley is the breadbasket of Nova Scotia, lot's of small farms with a nice little ecosystem. The province as a whole is diverse and beautiful but quite poor. It's relied on fishing, shipbuilding, forestry and agriculture from the beginning and that only carries you so far in this world. Lot's of universities though, resulting in Nova Scotians having more post secondary education than any other province. They become academics or leave these days.

I had my second knee surgery on Monday so you guys let me heal up this winter and get some spring training under my belt. I'd be happy to host any of you good folks passing through my hood.

Sorry for the derail Kurt! Keep us in the loop.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-28-18, 04:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
you can put draft, er i mean craft services on the rear.
lol

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-28-18, 04:30 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Wolfville, a small, charming university town at the top of the Annapolis Valley. The Valley is the breadbasket of Nova Scotia, lot's of small farms with a nice little ecosystem. The province as a whole is diverse and beautiful but quite poor. It's relied on fishing, shipbuilding, forestry and agriculture from the beginning and that only carries you so far in this world. Lot's of universities though, resulting in Nova Scotians having more post secondary education than any other province. They become academics or leave these days.

I had my second knee surgery on Monday so you guys let me heal up this winter and get some spring training under my belt. I'd be happy to host any of you good folks passing through my hood.

Sorry for the derail Kurt! Keep us in the loop.
I have been to Halifax and Pictou. (my USCG boat with the official US Representive to the 1975 or 76 Pictou Lobster festival.......great people. An I grew up listening to the Don Messer Jubilee on CBC....as we got Canadian TV better than American in town I grew up in in Montana.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-29-18, 04:52 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I'd love some company Pastorbob. We're too far from everything out here and the roads are fabulous. Anytime
I was a broadcast cameraguy and post production editor for 30 years
You and @cudak888 need to meet up with @BluesDaddy at some point. He's a cameraguy for NH's only commercial TV station.

Another knee replacement? Ouch! I'm so glad mine are holding up!

4.5 years until retirement. When that occurs NS is on my short list for a bicycling summer trip!

Now back to building Kurt's ultimate 20" wheeled C&V video camera mount with ultimate stabilization and bicycle POV. We must keep the kiddies safe!

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-30-18, 09:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Update - spent some time at Terraferma's and turned this little Twenty's BB into 24TPI:

The bad news is that his Campag taps are pretty dull; thus, we couldn't cut cut deep enough (into the steel) to get the facing tool inserts installed. Will have to go to one of the LBS to see if they can finish this off for me.

Thinking twice about it, I think a helmet or shoulder harness with the gimbal mounted camera, (or higher end steadicam rig) on an unadulterated Moulton would give you what you want. And a smooth classic bike for the stable and future productions. Mount an external monitor to where it's seen best and Bob's your Uncle.

I've had Twenty's and they really aren't in the same class as Moultons in many respects. Moultons, even mid 60's F frames, are closer to road bikes while Twenty's are more akin to English Sports models. Go see Chris in Miami?
Never thought of the gimbal on a helmet, but I still wonder just how smooth that might be. May also be too much to process moving my head and riding at the same time. I'm often looking about too, as I'm usually running alongside the kids and parents in the group rides on the second lane - which is often shared with police cars and motorcycles corking traffic and what not.

Handlebar gets the monitor.

I think I get it - the Moulton is a fine wine vs. the Twenty as a decent good beer. I think. Heck, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about here as I've never had either. Still, I know the Twenty, they're easy to get, overbuilt, and I don't mind turning this one upside-down in originality if mostly an experiment.

I haven't seen Chris since I sold him the Match Paramount. And as much as I wouldn't mind catching up, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of Moultons...just yet.

If you want to go with a front mount, the rack is there for you and you can put draft, er I mean craft services on the rear. All alloy '64 with high pressure rims and rear fork reinforced brackets as recommended by Mouton enthusiasts.
Hey, at least there's room for the Pelican cases.

Somehow I knew a Moulton would be the answer to all Kurt's questions. Iconic, classic, vintage, and unusual--- all rolled into one fine bicycle.

Now the trick is to find one at the Stump Dump and it's his for the cost of shipping!

One of these days I need to head to Nova Scotia and visit @clubman and his collection. I had no idea he was so versed in video/filming equipment.
That reminds me that I really have to do something about the '80 Sports/Stumpy. I don't want to put it back into the shed and forget all about putting some brakes on it again.

On a side note - no offense to Bob - Stumpy is still not clicking with me. Of all the Raleigh Sports I've owned, it's been the one that I've had the hardest time clicking with (finding it's mojo?). There's something about the lack of pump pegs, that flat brake bridge off the Twenty, the weird chainguard angle, the bulbous fender stays, and that casket for a rear reflector with no white tail that just seems to make it feel more like a replica of a Raleigh Sports than a Raleigh Sports. I think it's also why I don't have that much of a problem turning its originality upside down. I'm really tempted to pull the FW that's never worked and do some crazy modern something-or-other back there. Heck, these later models do not even need to have their dropouts filed.

The new Sturmey hub has been unlaced and is ready for transplant:

And thanks again to RHM for these:

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-30-18 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 08:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

To be frank, I never liked the way a Twenty rides. Maybe if I tried one with a proper headset, it would be different. I can't put my finger on it. But you may like it, and even if you don't, it will be fine for your purpose.

Twentys and Sportses are common enough that you don't have to feel bad about drewing them in any way. @rhm has ideas about Twentys. He told me to add rake to my fork, and I did so with an incomplete fork gauge, so I'm not sure how well I succeeded, if at all. I did get it to track straight, so there's that.

Likes For noglider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.