Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to me: Raleigh Professional

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 11:07 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hello CR friends,I picked up this bike from a local I-Bob member yesterday. Although nowhere near a complete model, at $150 I thought it was a deal too good to pass up.

Here’s a link to an album of quick pics: https://www.flickr.com/gp/dougbloch/7JL0NX

After consulting https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...leigh.html?m=1 and Raleigh Serial Numbers & Charts, my best guess from the serial number (which starts with “WB1”) is that this is a Worksop-built 1981 Raleigh Professional Mark V. Steel blue paint, not Mink Blue from what I read. If I’m right, onthedrops says, “many consider the Mark V the best of the lot overall for its handling and build quality.”

I enjoyed a quick ride on it. The components are not the originals, but nonetheless it is outfitted with:

- Campagnolo NR rear derailleur
- Campagnolo Gran Sport crankset
- Campagnolo NR downtube shifters
- Campagnolo NR head set
- Campagnolo bottom bracket
- Dia-Compe brakes
- Dura-Ace front derailleur
- Suntour Winner 6-speed freewheel
- Nitto stem- SR Laprade seat post
- mismatched and unremarkable but true wheelset with new Continental tires

It came with an old Wright’s saddle, Cinelli stem, and the original pedals. Those pedals are Campy copies on the bike.

Unfortunately I sold my black Brooks Professional with copper rivets last year and my Mavic wheelset laced to Campy NR hubs. I thought I was done with all of this. But at this price it was too good to pass up.

I’m not sure what I will do with it. I am going to swap the wheelset for some Mavics on Shimano 105 wheels and Compass 28c tires. I will either put road bars on it or flip some North Roads and make it a townie. Not sure about the saddle at this point. The only thing I know is I do plan to enjoy it!

Anyway, I wanted to share. Apologies if you see this cross-posted anywhere else.

Doug

Last edited by Dougbloch; 08-21-19 at 04:50 AM. Reason: formatting error
Likes For Dougbloch:
Old 08-20-19, 11:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougbloch
Hello CR friends,I picked up this bike from a local I-Bob member yesterday. Although nowhere near a complete model, at $150 I thought it was a deal too good to pass up.

Here’s a link to an album of quick pics: https://www.flickr.com/gp/dougbloch/7JL0NX

After consulting https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...leigh.html?m=1 and Raleigh Serial Numbers & Charts, my best guess from the serial number (which starts with “WB1”) is that this is a Worksop-built 1981 Raleigh Professional Mark V. Steel blue paint, not Mink Blue from what I read. If I’m right, onthedrops says, “many consider the Mark V the best of the lot overall for its handling and build quality.”

I enjoyed a quick ride on it. The components are not the originals, but nonetheless it is outfitted with:

- Campagnolo NR rear derailleur
- Campagnolo Gran Sport crankset
- Campagnolo NR downtube shifters
- Campagnolo NR head set
- Campagnolo bottom bracket
- Campagnolo NR brakes (I believe ‘68 because they have no lettering)
- Dura-Ace front derailleur
- Suntour Winner 6-speed freewheel
- Nitto stem- SR Laprade seat post
- mismatched and unremarkable but true wheelset with new Continental tires

It came with an old Wright’s saddle, Cinelli stem, and the original pedals. Those pedals are Campy copies on the bike.

Unfortunately I sold my black Brooks Professional with copper rivets last year and my Mavic wheelset laced to Campy NR hubs. I thought I was done with all of this. But at this price it was too good to pass up.

I’m not sure what I will do with it. I am going to swap the wheelset for some Mavics on Shimano 105 wheels and Compass 28c tires. I will either put road bars on it or flip some North Roads and make it a townie. Not sure about the saddle at this point. The only thing I know is I do plan to enjoy it!

Anyway, I wanted to share. Apologies if you see this cross-posted anywhere else.

Doug

So the brakes on flickr are Gran Compe 400, Dia Compes, no name Campys are one of the most sought after components there are. A set went for $1800 awhile back.
Old 08-20-19, 11:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

A great score none the less.
Old 08-20-19, 11:43 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So the brakes on flickr are Gran Compe 400, Dia Compes, no name Campys are one of the most sought after components there are. A set went for $1800 awhile back.
Thanks for catching that! That’s what I get for not using my glasses when I looked at the bike 🤓

I corrected the original post.

Well now I won’t feel bad about swapping them out for something else. I have a great set in mind!

Last edited by Dougbloch; 08-21-19 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-21-19, 12:18 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Dougbloch
Thanks for catching that! That’s what I get for not using my glasses when I looked at the bike 🤓

Well now I won’t feel bad about swapping them out for something else. I have a great set in mind!
Yeah, sorry about that, knowing about the no names is something that normally starts a very lively discussion, they would have been the star of this show had they been.
Old 08-21-19, 02:04 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Now that's my idea of a top-tier Raleigh: Campy 1010b dropouts, chamfered stay ends, oversize seatstay caps, blue metallic paint and that lovely Bocama lug set. Nice catch, whatever the components - the frame's the star of this show

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-21-19, 03:43 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Great score!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports